ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steering issue, please help lol

2003 Clio sport 172
I will try and explain the best i can, 3 - 4 months ago me and my brother changed my gearbox after about a month i started to notice my steering wheel wasnt lining back up strait while driving in a strait line, sometimes its slightly out to the right and sometimes the left, this got a lot worse untill the point where i can now turn the wheel when stationary back to the propper position without the wheels moving, its hard to explain but when stationary and the engine off i can move the wheel and it sounds like when you force cogs round untill the wheels start to move.

Hope this is making sense lol

i took it to a garage who said they had never experienced this, i was told that it looks as tho the rack was loose, i had a look thinking maybe when we dropped the sub frame while doin the box it may have come loose but its all fine.

my aux belt squeels like a b**ch to the point where i have had the battery light on while driving

also

the metal pipe that comes off the power steering pump is leaking where it joins the rubber pipe and the fluid is like a gungy brown color

could it just need a belt and tensioner and some fresh fluid when the leak is sorted or is the rack and pump screwed lol

need to get it sorted asap but have no idea where to start.

2003 Clio sport 172
forgot to mention, there doesnt seem to be any play in the steering while driving, it seems fine apart from sometimes it pulls to the right and then another time it pulls to the left

Sounds like the aux belt might need changing /checking its not working and not charging your battery and possibly not powering the rack which could have damaged it. Fix that first but the rack sounds like the tie rod ends etc might be worn. The leaking pipe needs fixing at the same time that sorts the aux belt and alternator. if that doesn't fox the issue then the rack needs replacing not to bad a job to do

2003 Clio sport 172
im a little skint at the min so im goin to try and sort the cheapest jobs and see whats what after that, i just cant afford a new tensioner (lost my job a few months ago) so im gonna have to try and find the money for that then sort the leak and fluid then take it from there.

2003 Clio sport 172
i have done a fluid change on the steering and the problem is still there, the steering is now a lot lighter tho

i was having a look on ebay and found the column but there is a motor of some sort on it by the look of it, what is it for and could it be causing the steering to slip to the left/right while the engine is off, when it slips it sounds like cogs on a motor bein forced, thats the best i can explain it, im really stuck, im not sure what to replace and dont have the money to replace everything.

i can get a video if it helps.

2003 Clio sport 172
th_VID00005-20111222-1919.jpg

its not the best video but it gives some idea of the issue lol