ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharge the 182 or get something else?

Ok, so I get my job review at the start of Jan, and I should be in line for a hefty pay rise, so I'm thinking of spending a few bob on the 182.

I've done a bit to it already, but the one thing I'd like to change is to give the old girl a bit more grunt. Out of all the current methods, I think the supercharger kit is for me.

BUT...Do I spunk 4k+ on the SC kit, or don't bother and get something else? (ie another car)

If I did look into getting another car I would have approx 8-9k to spend (assuming I could get 4.5-5k for mine)

So what cars are there in that bracket should I be looking into that don't cost the earth to run (and insure, bear in mind i'll be 23 in Jan)

Weighing up the pros and cons of charging, I came up with this:

Pros:

Immense power! (goes without saying really!)
Keep the clio - so running costs stay pretty much the same (granted mpg will go down a bit and insurance to go up)
Less hassle
The 'sleeper' factor ;)

Cons:

Worries about unreliability
Extra costs of upgrading other components on the car to cope with more power

If anyone has any any advice on the matter that would be great, especially those who have been in a similar position and went down the turbo/SC road :)

PS. Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I thought it would be ok here as it's a general clio related question :)

Well, IMO its still going to be a 182 at the end of the day. Its £4k+ You'll never see again. And once you get used to the power you will want to change anyways.

If your 182 is worth roughly 5/6k, plus 4k, you're looking at £10k for something different. Loads of choice for that.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Get another car.
Go & try a lotus elise then you will see it's not all about power:rasp:

SQ5
It all depends what you want! I went for the s/c as power was the only thing lacking on track! It's also something quite different!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'd love a SC 182, but i'd have to have a lot of spare cash to buy it, i could afford to do it, but i'd rather have £4k TBH.

£4k is 2% of an alright house lol.

Well Im still living at home at the moment, but I do a lot of travelling as part of my job so it's not like I'm home 100% of the time.

If I get the pay rise I'm after then money won't be a huge issue, I'd happily pay the 4k for the extra benefits.

As Danny says too, it's something different. Something like a SC clio is a bit unique, whereas M3s etc are common everyday cars.

S3 Sportback, Ninja
Id rather have a m3 over a supercharged clio, sell the clio and get somthing nicer imo. DC5?

personally, wouldn't, but sounds as though you're keen and as long as you're not unduly bothered about the fact that you'll lose the majority of what you spend on the mods (in eventual resale value), don't see a problem

everyone's done it - just need to be 'comfortable' with the losses involved

have you gotten insurance quotes yet?

Mk4 .:R32
sell your 182 for 5-6k, and put that £4k towards it...you'll have nearing 10k...get a better car, maybe one with a turbo that is easily tuned for less than a grand?

M2 Competition
Id get a dc5, focus st2, meg 225... etc. If you're after the power, its right easy to make the last two silly fast with little outlay. Plus you'll have a plush, comfy car to ride around in. Look outside at your car on your drive now, what would you rather was sitting there... ?

Once the novelty wears off of having a sleeper, i think you'll think 'crikey, i just spent 4k on making a clio a little bit faster', and then you'll struggle to sell it (as most seem to that spend money on itbs/ turbos etc)

I do like the idea of a meg, I think Im right in saying they don't need much fiddling with them to get 280+bhp. Correct?

I'd love a scoob or evo, but I don't fancy running one!

EDIT: Out of curiosity, which meg is the one to go for? Not too knowledgeable on the meganes!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Don't supercaharge it. As everyone else has said the list of 'better' cars you can get for 10k is endless.

Hmmm....ok Im a swaying from the idea ;)

One thing that bothers me is that my car in it's current state might be a bit hard to sell, as it's been stripped (still got everything though) with buckets and harnesses.

But Im sure there are some dedicated track folk on here after that sort of thing! ;)

Focus ST

Very tempting, looked into those before I got the 182.

Focus RS (Mk1)

Don't know enough about them, but still a tempting option.

Audi S3

Had a quick look at these, but I think these are on the comfort side of performance, if that makes sense.

Evo 7or8

As previous, don't fancy running one yet.

VX220

I would love something like that, any good for 9-10k?

Clio V6

I said I wanted something quicker! ;)

Seat Cupra

Again, VERY tempting.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Whats actually the problem with it at the moment? Just bored or looking for more of a challenge. A clio with 250bhp will only be challenging in that it will unset the lovely chassis. It'll still be FWD and easily manageable/boring after a while.

Personally, id sell yours & buy an e36 M3 Evo. Mastering it will keep you occupied for quite a while, it'll be blooming quick & you'll get nice reliability & 30mpg for all those long journeys.

Best all round car out there for £5k imho :D

Megane R26 as it has the LSD and can easily be modified to 280odd BHP for cheap money.

They go for around £10K now and there was a buyers guide in EVO mag a while ago.

Plus you can still do the RS trackdays and there good fun.

:)

BMW M5 & E36
Megane R26 as it has the LSD and can easily be modified to 280odd BHP for cheap money.

They go for around £10K now and there was a buyers guide in EVO mag a while ago.

Plus you can still do the RS trackdays and there good fun.

:)

This. I agree with Matt for a change! :star:

I am looking into the megs. Although I am looking into the VX220 too, I'd love a car like that, but when I go on my shoots I won't be able to get all my gear in that! :(

ITB'd MK1
depends if you're likely to modify what you buy. If modifying is what you want to do, then stick with the clio. If you just want more power and a "better"/new car, get something else.
For me, it's build it not buy it every time, so i start with a car i want to own in a modified guise.
Not many people understand how good the 172 is once it's supercharged. far far far from ruining it as some seem to think

Bus w**ker
Buy something else, it's just not worth the money IMHO.

I wanted to charge my Ph1 and yeah those that have been done are stupidly quick...but once the cost of having the SC fitted is combined with the value of the car it can't be justified, unless you are really well off. For the £8-10k that it would end up costing there are much better cars, most already listed in this thread, that would be a much better buy.

All that said though, it's your money and your car so do what will make you happy.

172 turbo
go 4 it i remeber when i sold my clio how much i missed it when i bought a e36 !! so much more to lugg about i would keep a sc clio forever.

depends if you're likely to modify what you buy. If modifying is what you want to do, then stick with the clio. If you just want more power and a "better"/new car, get something else.
For me, it's build it not buy it every time, so i start with a car i want to own in a modified guise.
Not many people understand how good the 172 is once it's supercharged. far far far from ruining it as some seem to think

If I got a new car I might change a few things, but nothing serious at all. And I don't feel as if I want a 'better' car. I really like the clio, and I've done quite a bit to it already in turning into a sort of 'track car' (I will be doing FAR more trackdays next year)

It's just a case of giving it a bit more welly ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Spend the money on learning to drive correctly (road and track tuition) and do lots of track days. You'll enjoy that more than changing cars or sc the 182 (massively pointless on a car that struggles for traction with standard power at times) and it'll give you a skillset you can carry forward.

Buying a faster car is all well and good, but te running costs and consumables go up massively on track.

Golf GTD Mk7
you could get a vx220 turbo for a little bit more than 10k, and get a normal vx easily for that. Probably around 7k is a good price for one. Ace little cars to drive, but if you're a big guy not the easiest things to deal with on a daily drive. Plus the heaters in them are gash. would personally go for the lotus if I had the money.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Only power upgrade I'd look at would be bodies. Linear, not crazy power, reversible, and sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williams and trophy
I am looking into the megs. Although I am looking into the VX220 too, I'd love a car like that, but when I go on my shoots I won't be able to get all my gear in that! :(

after having spent a bit of time behind the wheel of both. get the meg. ;) soooooo much easier to drive quickly, and lots better as an everyday car. vx is good, dont get me wrong, but a bit gutless imho if it isnt the tub version

williams and trophy
Spend the money on learning to drive correctly (road and track tuition) and do lots of track days. You'll enjoy that more than changing cars or sc the 182 (massively pointless on a car that struggles for traction with standard power at times) and it'll give you a skillset you can carry forward.

Buying a faster car is all well and good, but te running costs and consumables go up massively on track.

obviously you havent spent any decent time behind the wheel of a s/c 172 then....traction is NOT an issue, any more so than a std one.

Turbo LY R27
I'd do it personally. I intend on running my R27 to the ground tbh. If i had the money i'd supercharge mine. But i have a ridiculous love for my car lol:eek:

Surly there has to be a some performance company somewhere that you can test drive a supercharged one?