ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

suspension question

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
hi,
i've got some new springs to fit to my 03 172.

(front) - whats the best way of removing the top bolts - i see that people say that i should use an impact driver, but im too tight and would rather buy a spanner. would a 21mm swan neck and hex key work?
(rear) - is it necessary to remove the top bolts inside the boot?

thanks
symo:S

K20 EG Hatch
front - i used a spark plug socket so i could put a allen key through the middle of it and a spanner onto it to undo the top mounts. i done this last though and undone all the bottom part closest to the wheel first. not very technical i know but i guranantee this is the best way to do it (well was for me anyway).

i have never fitted just springs but for the arse end you will still need to undo the top mounts inside the boot so u can then get under the car, pull ur springs out and put new uns back in and bolt it all back up. simple!

thanks dan

how did you get a sparkplug socket over the nut? its a 21mm nut and sparkplug sockets are only about a 14mm??:S

Lionel Richie
front - spray the top mount nuts with WD40 at least 24hours before (makes it easier)

a 1/2inch rachet and a deep 21mm socket "should" get them off

rear just undo the lower 18mm bolts on the bottom of the shock (no need to touch the top ones)

R35 GTR
FredYozzasport said:
front - spray the top mount nuts with WD40 at least 24hours before (makes it easier)

a 1/2inch rachet and a deep 21mm socket "should" get them off

rear just undo the lower 18mm bolts on the bottom of the shock (no need to touch the top ones)

This man knows!

fred- i've tried the wd40 and the 21mm socket but the nut just turns with the middle bit, it doesn't un do...

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
be carfull as you can damage the centre allen key, its far safer with an impact gun to remove them... they are usually done up far too tight..

pop to a local garage, get them to remove them and then pop back on and just "NIP" them up..

then you can go on at home.