ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

That's going to be an expensive test drive

Well, had a test drive in a v6 today. Local dealer has a 03 mk1 with 13000 miles. Contacted them and sorted it for today. We got there and after the usual gumf and chat I went for a drive.

Got to say that I was very impressed with the package as a whole. I wasn't particularly sure I wanted to get rid of the elise but now that might have all changed. After driving the Clio I've realised how noisy and uncomfortable the elise is. The elise is our third car so practicality and comfort weren't an issue, after driving the clio they suddenly seem quite desirable.

The build and interior were ALOT better than I imagined, in fact I was quite impressed. The engine is amazing, just with the 230 bhp it pulled and pulled very smoothly. A very different experience to the elise's frantic revving power delivery.

It was hard to judge the handling but from the short drive it felt stable and not quite the animal I'd heard about, although I was being overly cautious on greasy roads :p . If the mk2 didn't exist than I would have possibly done a deal today. But that's my problem, all the reports suggest the mk2 is a much better car. Is this true in the real world? The styling differences don't overly bother me but the extra 25bhp and revised suspension set up seem quite desirable.

So, is the extra cost of the mk2 worth it?

/can open, worms everywhere ;)

Audi RS4
From what I've read the mk2 is a far better drive plus they look much better inside and out.
I would deffo get a mk2.

Renault ChaVio
I like the look of the MK1 car a lot and in some ways prefer it but I'd say if you are looking at an 03 MK1 then it is probably only a couple of grand shy of an 03 MK2 which has a bit more power and a better equipped interior.

I get my MK2 Clio V6 on Friday. :)

MKIII 138
MKI`s look better i guess if your not into latest fashion and appreciate proper car styling. having said that there are a very few MKI`s around but ive only seen 1 MKII seems even more exclusive (probably due to cost)

get MKII do a few tweaks from 255 upto 270 and it will improve greatly also

Audi RS4
Mk1's look way too dated IMO, headlights look dopey and cutesy girly LOL,plus isn't the gearbox a bit ropey?
Think they improved the mk2 technologicallly and visually.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Would be a MK2 for me, but if I wasnt in a position to pay the extra premium, doubt I'd be disapointed with a MK1 !!!! lol.

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
I had a mk1 172 and just traded it for a mk2 182, build quality is a lot better and a much nicer car to drive. If the V6's are the same go for the mk2 version. Plus seen a lot of articles about them and mk2's seem to be a lot better.

By the way, Just gone green with envy!!!

Clio 172 Phase 2
is it true that the V6 gets really hot cos of the engine behind you and you have to drive constantly with the air con on?