ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
it's like you read my mind, ha, i was literally only coming on here now to pm you asking how you did the front crossmember.
I was looking at the swagers and thinking "there is no way he slotted one part inside the crossmember".... but you did,

so how did you hold the bolt /nut that was inside the crossmember? or is your bolt welded on at that end of the swager?

I am going down to the car today (although not to hole/swage) so will be trialing fitment etc then.

There was only just enough room to get the female part of the swager I made down the gap and then get the nut on, the ones near the ends i managed to reach in with my fingers, the ones in the middle, i passed the nut through the hole I had just made to the left or right and by finger tips got the nut onto the back of the swager then wound the bolt through, as I said, footery as fook!
The other thing to bear in mind, if the female part of your swager is a tight fit down the gap in the crossmember you need a bit of enough space to get it out once you've swaged the hole, ie you could end up getting it trapped in there!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Ok look at Luxor Blue (VX colour), sorry been busy as hell at work and forgot I had said I'd look.
Try also Norse Grey (old Renault Colour)

this was posted in my other thread...
maybe this pic can help.
moonrack grey, but unfortunately I dont know color code :(

zzzzzzzg.jpg

thank you for that, that has helped, i am still massively a fan of the darker greys / silvers, i may use that as a base colour...
i visited the clio today and had a good chat about colours with my mate, i am now wide-open on choice again, but thoughts are spinning...
I am now not so much thinking about colours but more styles, looking for inspiraction, 80's racecars, cafe racer motorbikes etc etc.

There was only just enough room to get the female part of the swager I made down the gap and then get the nut on, the ones near the ends i managed to reach in with my fingers, the ones in the middle, i passed the nut through the hole I had just made to the left or right and by finger tips got the nut onto the back of the swager then wound the bolt through, as I said, footery as fook!
The other thing to bear in mind, if the female part of your swager is a tight fit down the gap in the crossmember you need a bit of enough space to get it out once you've swaged the hole, ie you could end up getting it trapped in there!

I will have to see what happens when i get there, hopefully i can work around it somehow, discovered my bodyshop / painter mate has 1 aswell (looks thinner though), so may be an option,
if i can't do the crossmember perhaps i'll need to make more holes elsewhere...lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Boner, go to a big car sales place. Like in bristol there's Land rover, VW, Renault, Lexus, Skoda and suzuki all within 10 seconds walk of eachother.

Walk in and study their colour charts on the wall. They're all proper paint not shitty paper examples.

Will give you a massive help I reckon.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Boner, go to a big car sales place. Like in bristol there's Land rover, VW, Renault, Lexus, Skoda and suzuki all within 10 seconds walk of eachother.
Walk in and study their colour charts on the wall. They're all proper paint not s**tty paper examples.
Will give you a massive help I reckon.

basically the same as what a mate suggested to me today...."go to a big show or something",
thing is... i am possibly thinking of not just 1 colour anymore.....

pmsl.... that doesn't mean a mid 1990's colour split....

Make your mind up you big gimp.

For the record I'm not convinced the lines of the bodywork will pull off a bold colour scheme like that ^^

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Make your mind up you big gimp.
For the record I'm not convinced the lines of the bodywork will pull off a bold colour scheme like that ^^

Its the hardest decision of the whole build...
agreed it wouldn't work with the lines, the r5's classic boxy lines lends itself to that and the curvy lines of the ph1 just won't, but the. Ours work well together.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so, an update, not massive but a good step ahead again...

as i now had my hole saws/arbors (thanks bomber) and swagers (thanks frenchthing) i could now set to work on the body, however the holesaw needed to be put to good use elsewhere first, i think a few posts back i had measured out my seating location and where the welded in rails would go... today they needed fitting. prior to this however i thought i may aswell remove the doors and bootlid (to make it easier to get in and out),

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

although i have slimmed the doors and tailgate down alot can still / will come out of them, i will also be hole sawing and swagering as much as poss on them....
so with those bits out of the way i trial fitted the seat (in new location) with the cage to make sure there would be no issues..... all good, so the holes where drilled.

sill side
IMG_1408.jpg

exhaust tunnel side
IMG_1407.jpg

seat rails and strengthening plates placed in.
IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

with these all sorted and in place they where welded in, and then the mount brackets where attached.
IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

very happy with how they have come out, and my seating position, although i have noticed how far back i am compared to some pictures of other builds....
more fabrication will be going on in the next few weeks with holes etc being filled but its coming along...

i had also started to mark out the cross-member and some parts of the engine bay for hole-sawing / swagering but that will be for another day....

still need a colour too

Evo 5 RS
so indecisive! You not thought about getting a small amount and testing on a panel or two? I did this with loads of shades mate, it's the only way imo or you'll just be like you are now, choosing forever.

nice welding

erm.... i disagree....

please dont think i`m just slating for the hell of it, i do like the project, but.. i`m sorry.. thats NOT good welding!!

IMG_1413-1.jpg

i`d seriously get that ground back and re-done as there doesn`t look like theres much penetration onto the actual seat rail.. just a couple of blobs.. its a seat rail! it has to be right...

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I agree with frenchthing, I'm not a pro welder but to me it looks like a case of not enough heat so not penatrating the metal enough and just blobbing up.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
erm.... i disagree....

please dont think i`m just slating for the hell of it, i do like the project, but.. i`m sorry.. thats NOT good welding!!

IMG_1413-1.jpg

i`d seriously get that ground back and re-done as there doesn`t look like theres much penetration onto the actual seat rail.. just a couple of blobs.. its a seat rail! it has to be right...

I agree with frenchthing, I'm not a pro welder but to me it looks like a case of not enough heat so not penatrating the metal enough and just blobbing up.

the other tubes look ok in fairness...

appreciate your input guys,
Luke (my painter sprayer) is a very good mate so hopefully if he is happy with it, it is all good, I would like to think he wouldn't do a bad (non adequate) job and possibly put me in danger, however it is something i will look over when at the car next-time

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
CUTTING SH*T UP SINCE 6AM....update,

well for one reason or another i managed to get down to the car nice and early today... like really early, was quite nice working on it so early, my main task today was to just CUT SH*T UP and MAKE SH*T LIGHTER, i managed to get a fair way through, but was the doors were putting up a good fight...

I started on the tailgate first, i had to check through my carbon fibre panel stocks and worked out i had a nice piece that can panel the tailgate so i marked up the (already lightened) tailgate and got to cutting....

before
IMG_1415.jpg

after
IMG_1416.jpg

also going to loose 1 of the struts from the tailgate, light enough to only need 1 now,
so onto the doors, again these had already been lightened a bit but i could loose alot more, i again marked out where my carbon panels would fit and then got cutting / trimming

before
IMG_1417.jpg

after
IMG_1418.jpg

as you can see along the upper part of the main door i have made some cuts, i plan to take a fair bit more out here, but its about 2-3 skins thick in places and it was a bit of a ballache with the grinders/cutting discs i had, could really do with an air-saw, but i will get these bits done on my next visit..

with that in mind i then set about other bits on the doors, the strengthening bar that runs the full length of the door has had its spot welds drilled out so only needs the glue heating up for removal,
and then the holes were measured and marked in the base of both the doors ready for hole-saw / swagering

IMG_1425.jpg

oh and i also had a mix-up with a toll, Hi(spot)....doh, not a problem really as all the bodywork is getting treated anyways.
IMG_1426.jpg

i then moved onto the body (as i had the spot weld drill bit out), a small panel inside was marked for removal, as were a couple of excess renault metal on the rear......

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

all in all it felt like a relatively productive day, quite happy with the progress and quite happy with how much got removed....
IMG_1427.jpg

GOOD TIMES, the love is definitely coming back, oh and i have a few ideas on the colours too...

Clio 172
F**k me you don't do things by half. I want to trim my car down a bit but thats a bit mental and alot of metal. I also get to the point where I start to think about asthetics and that always buggers me up. 'Do I remove this and if so can I live with that hole there?' etc.

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so spent another day (not full day) on the car again yesterday,
my plan was to finish off the doors and tailgate,

i had a new tool to play with instead of just the grinder/cutting disc, today i had an airsaw.... so much easier, i cut the remainder out of the top of the doors, some of this is triple even quadruple layered so weights a fair bit, this was done on both doors. I then attacked the brace bar that runs the full length of each door.

One door was spot on and relatively easy, the spot welds were drilled out, the adhesive heated and then the panel simply came out with a bit of leaverage, the other door (not so much), one of the spot welds was sat directly behind a hinge so there was no way i was getting to it with the drill bit... proper pain, but as said the doors need a bit of work anyways...

how they currently sit.

IMG_1429.jpg

and even more removed. fairly happy with it.

IMG_1428.jpg

next up was a few little bits on the tailgate, all gone now.

IMG_1431.jpg

and then ready for next time the tailgate all marked up for hole-saw/swaggering,

IMG_1432.jpg

so that is my plan of attack for next time, i have everything marked up now including the doors, front crossmember and some of the engine bay so will be bringing out the hole saw and swaggers..
as for colour i think i will be going with the Maude Grey, just need to find the colour code, hopefully shouldn't be too bad as its a Porsche colour.

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yip, the tops of the doors are mega thick!

I nearly killed my airsaw doing them, they're not designed for 3-4mm steel. I found a 32tpi hacksaw blade was better for the thicker stuff, but obviosuly cant make sharp turns with them.

Regards the tailgate, by all means drill out the holes you've got marked there but I wouldnt swage them, they're right on an existing swage/crease as such it will distort the edge of the boot if you try to swage them.