ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'I work in I.T' thread

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm currently developing a new super-secret application that I'm not allowed to talk about. It will hopefully be put into operation in the coming weeks. It's well clever and I've included the all-important light and dark modes. Excuse the limited screenshots but I can't give too much away for reasons I can't go into. 🤫

2024-02-25-csadminftw-01.png

2024-02-25-csadminftw-02.png

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
True story, a fellow contractor I worked with was the target of a bit of a hate campaign from some folks he was tasked to work with, hence decided to terminate his contract early. On his last day he had agreed to send a handover document around to the remaining dev team detailing his couple months of work prior, then clear his machine and return it to IT. His handover document contained a load of...

Yes, he had deleted his work from the client-provided laptop and returned it to the IT dept before leaving... 😂🤣

Edit: no, he hadn't committed anything to any repository either so zero backup or versioning!

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Our IT guys have decided to inflict some punishment on themselves and are reintroducing password expiry after we suspended it during Covid to avoid lockouts.
Always humoured (and aghast) to see the response from some users to very basic instructions.
Things are slightly more complex as we are a Mac estate using AD with additional tooling on the DC for password complexity etc. but it’s going to be an entertaining few weeks as everyone (500+ people) is remote, some extremely.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got a theory that “password1234” is a strong password as no one would think people are stupid enough to use it so would never guess it.

(This isn’t my password for anything…I’m not that stupid)

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I’ve got a theory that “password1234” is a strong password as no one would think people are stupid enough to use it so would never guess it.

(This isn’t my password for anything…I’m not that stupid)
Even if that was true (which it isn’t), an iPhone 4 could still crack it in a few seconds.
It’s always amusing seeing what’s on our password blocklist at work, stuff like fuckyou and iloveliverpool 🫣

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Even if that was true (which it isn’t), an iPhone 4 could still crack it in a few seconds.
It’s always amusing seeing what’s on our password blocklist at work, stuff like fuckyou and iloveliverpool 🫣
But the password isn't iphone_4 it's password1234

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Its going to be a long transition from a tradtional password. They are so engrained in every aspect of our IT life.

Until we can get systems where a giant SSO is used for everything ( entra? ) and systems are able to plug in to it we are done for. Windows hello is a good step towards that but its going to take time to adopt.

In a company I contract with we still have 16bit manufacturing applications.

340i
Its going to be a long transition from a tradtional password. They are so engrained in every aspect of our IT life.

Until we can get systems where a giant SSO is used for everything ( entra? ) and systems are able to plug in to it we are done for. Windows hello is a good step towards that but its going to take time to adopt.

Oh yeah, I totally agree.

The vast majority of our core / 'modern' systems utilise SSO and MFA.

Although, I work for a 100+ year old manufacturing company... I have weekly "WTF" moments, when finding something tied to a legacy system or process - After prodding you normally a response of "I dunno", "It was here before I started", "It's been like that since 2001" etc. 🙃

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects

Manufacturing and engineering and awful for I.T.
Ancient apps, general tinkerers, knowledge in people's heads, nothing written down, want things bespoke, never see the big picture or how corporate IT governance is there for benefit of all, refuse to patch, refuse to restart or turn off, run a fckin home lab and say "well I did it this way"

and they usually stink. Proper length smokers, the lot of em.
I've never been offered a brew by anyone in engineering in a multitude of businesses supported.
I'm not bitter, honest.

You walk into any office based environment and the hob nobs and shortbread are out, in rapid fashion. Usually in HR, I find.
+ There's always someone with massive norks in there. Whereas it's just full sausages in engineering.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah, I totally agree.

The vast majority of our core / 'modern' systems utilise SSO and MFA.

Although, I work for a 100+ year old manufacturing company... I have weekly "WTF" moments, when finding something tied to a legacy system or process - After prodding you normally a response of "I dunno", "It was here before I started", "It's been like that since 2001" etc. 🙃
I hear you. I am contracting with a large multinational food manufacturers. Recently there has been a push towards automation without governance so you , me , fred the cleaner can request a service account that belongs to a privilege group. You request it , your non IT boss approves it, voila.

I was working on a drive centralisation project so we could then offload to a cloud place. People has links in excel to others desktops ..

Ah man. I despair , but it keeps me in a job

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Ancient apps, general tinkerers, knowledge in people's heads, nothing written down, want things bespoke, never see the big picture or how corporate IT governance is there for benefit of all, refuse to patch, refuse to restart or turn off, run a fckin home lab and say "well I did it this way"

I've never been offered a brew by anyone in engineering in a multitude of businesses supported.
I'm not bitter, honest.

You walk into any office based environment and the hob nobs and shortbread are out, in rapid fashion. Usually in HR, I find.
+ There's always someone with massive norks in there. Whereas it's just full sausages in engineering.
Its cost generally in my experience. Application A will cost Y to upgrade per host. Its big numbers.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I hear you. I am contracting with a large multinational food manufacturers. Recently there has been a push towards automation without governance so you , me , fred the cleaner can request a service account that belongs to a privilege group. You request it , your non IT boss approves it, voila.

I was working on a drive centralisation project so we could then offload to a cloud place. People has links in excel to others desktops ..

Ah man. I despair , but it keeps me in a job
Automated self service without governance. Jeez they heading into a car crash.
I did it for an MSP once, allowing firewall rules to be created - approved by non-techs. 🤣
Thank god I left

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Automated self service without governance. Jeez they heading into a car crash.
I did it for an MSP once, allowing firewall rules to be created - approved by non-techs. 🤣
Thank god I left
To be fair - this company is really receptive to feedback. I have highlighted the issue with this and now its been hoofed up the priority list.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

I'm not bitter, honest.

I'm not offended.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Development Engineer 🥰

To be fair I'll always offer tea/coffee and we usually have some scran on the go in the office.

It's been spanish ham this week
Ah, you're dev. Well you still smell, obvs, but I think we were on about engineering (or I was).
As in... Manufacturing. Electronics, shop floor stuff. Folk in white coats, Asperger's etc.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Oh if it's tales of tech support you want I got 'em. We are currently having much fun with a customer. Keep in mind that we don't do end user support, this is talking to an actual IT team.

They keep getting an error message coming up when using our application. It's nothing to do with us, it's a bug in Chrome to do with user profiles.

We have explained this, and even googled it for them and sent them a link showing the problem and how to fix it.

"But when are you going to fix it, it keeps happening"

It's not us, it's Chrome, you access our system through Chrome, Chrome has a bug.

"It must be you, it only happens when using your software"

Do you use Chrome for anything else?

"No, only your software, we're not allowed to access anything else through Chrome"

OK, so, it's not us, it's Chrome. Chrome has a bug. You see it when using our software because you don't use Chrome for anything else.

"But when are you going to fix it"

200.gif

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Oh if it's tales of tech support you want I got 'em. We are currently having much fun with a customer. Keep in mind that we don't do end user support, this is talking to an actual IT team.

They keep getting an error message coming up when using our application. It's nothing to do with us, it's a bug in Chrome to do with user profiles.

We have explained this, and even googled it for them and sent them a link showing the problem and how to fix it.

"But when are you going to fix it, it keeps happening"

It's not us, it's Chrome, you access our system through Chrome, Chrome has a bug.

"It must be you, it only happens when using your software"

Do you use Chrome for anything else?

"No, only your software, we're not allowed to access anything else through Chrome"

OK, so, it's not us, it's Chrome. Chrome has a bug. You see it when using our software because you don't use Chrome for anything else.

"But when are you going to fix it"

View attachment 1683001
Why don't you change the browser your software uses?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Why don't you change the browser your software uses?

That's fair, but again it's not us, we can use any current mainstream browser. Chrome is what they chose. Sitting on an old version with a stupid bug in it is also their choice. This is a big financial institution so it's locked down tighter than a gnat's chuffhole.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
That's fair, but again it's not us, we can use any current mainstream browser. Chrome is what they chose. Sitting on an old version with a stupid bug in it is also their choice. This is a big financial institution so it's locked down tighter than a gnat's chuffhole.
So why don’t you just fix your software?

😂

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
NHS Scotland used to do their own thing, no? I.T wise, I think.
When I was in the NHS in England, they were off limits. Sure their network was called SWAN. You know, like WAN, but with an S - for Scotland. Proper clever.