ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Inferno Project Thread

FF Racing Blue 182
well done pal that car looks lovely that bodykit was so ugly i just cant see why a person would want to take away the looks of a stunning car i mean did you see how much better it looked in the picture when the silly front splitter was taking off

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Soooo much better without that awful kit. Good to see someone bringing a 182 back from the dead :)

S4 Avant
Just had a read through this for the first time.

Please tell me you've cleaned the frosties out? And where were you last night? Leave me on my own at the Peacock :(

Nope the frosties are still there. The f*cker can stay dirty till it stops breaking on me. Once something goes right, I might clean the bloody thing.

...and you turned up in the rain, without consulting anyone. That's blatantly your own fault.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Just noticed this thread.

Glad you never went white with the wheels, would of looked shite!

You've done well with it though :)

S4 Avant
Nice bump!

It's due some updates tbh, but haven't been bothered with it for a while now. Suspension is next on the agenda when I get some spare monies.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Dave!!!!!

This is the first ive seen of this thread!

I never knew your car was a cat D and when at TDF it looked dead tidy, would never have guessed! You've done some really good work on it mate, night and day difference and having seen it in the flesh its been done well too!

Good skills!

S4 Avant
But you have the pinnacle of all coilover designs? :rasp:

Gaz finest?

They've made the car so un-fun to drive. But when the time comes to refurb and sell, they'll be brilliant sir. Best coilovers I've ever had ;)

Dave!!!!!

This is the first ive seen of this thread!

I never knew your car was a cat D and when at TDF it looked dead tidy, would never have guessed! You've done some really good work on it mate, night and day difference and having seen it in the flesh its been done well too!

Good skills!

Cheers mate! Wish it was a Cat D though.

Cat C :dapprove:

Have to say as well, nice to be reminded from the first page of this, just how much of a helpful and nice bloke Mr Dan Bayes was. Will always be remembered.

S4 Avant
UPDATE!

Something I haven't done for many many days.

Back in September I had a trip to BTM for my latest exhaust :approve:

2a6b7ed2.jpg

Do like.

But since then, it's not had a lot of attention. I've not washed it at all, and pretty much left it gathering crap.
So today in -4 degrees, with a free day to myself I thought I'd look after it a bit.

Before:

0eba9c83.jpg

After..... ish:

116964fe.jpg

I should point out at this point that all the pictures are off the iPhone. So they're crap.

Rear beam then got treated to silver?! Hammerite. No one will see it... be reet.

fa024617.jpg

1f5f09ab.jpg

Ignore the kitchen roll stuck in the middle...

As this car is stuck with me for eternity, last thing I want is parts going rusty, so I'm doing my best to nip every thing in the bud, and sort it before things get bad. Unfortunately I've already spotted a big chunk of paint that's missing from the lip of the rear wheel arch :dapprove: So chances are a part re spray will be on the cards. Body work wise, there's a lot to work at.

Then moved on to giving it a wash. Used the finest one bucket method and dirty water.

51c84a68.jpg

6f82f604.jpg

26224030.jpg

and after...

35bf5d4d.jpg

291a8b6e.jpg

Started to wish I hadn't bothered though... mmmmm ice.

3bde65e7.jpg

In the new year, new wheels will be going on, and suspension will be seen to.

S4 Avant
New wheels?? What are you getting?

I love this colour, looks great when it's clean ;)

A set of 15" superleggeras. When I get round to being paid.

....and less of the when it's clean comments! I can't pay myself, so there's little incentive.

RB One Eight Two
Never really been a fan of Infernos but I love this car, Inferno with Black wheels - Full of win!

S4 Avant
6 months worth of update:

Back just before Christmas (and some of you have noticed the scars) I had a little incident with a grass verge and a corner.

So my one peice fibreglass splitter is now three peices, and I'm an arch liner down. Very lucky to get away with it really.

d6cf6566.jpg

Wheel dug in^ and brought me to a very quick stop.

d7f3fbc8.jpg

85813b2b.jpg

Then after Christmas, way was made for my latest set of wheels.

Coops had these up for sale, and I couldn't say no to the tyre prices for 15"s.

They looked good for a while

13.jpg

11.jpg

and then they just looked plain dirty all the time :dapprove:

5598927802_afd9871fc4.jpg

So after a couple of months I decided I didn't get on with T1-Rs, and that I needed paradas back in my life. I missed the outright grip that they have.

New tyres :approve:

404892dd.jpg

This meant the pro races had to go back on for a bit, and gave me a good opportunity to repaint the superleggeras!

5598810230_05a171e7c7.jpg

ec41a79b.jpg

f45b443a.jpg

8cdb95a3.jpg

and then back on with the superleg's!

5598803052_84d6d654b0.jpg

5598794742_079d5f221e.jpg

Next we have the tail of the "xenon of love". The xenon of love was a wonderful thing while it was with me. It shone upon all who gazed at it, with a lovely pink light.

89a08902.jpg

So both bulbs got replaced for a 6,000K set. Much more light than standard, and makes driving at night that bit more clear.

So after that a couple of months went by where no money was spent.

But as it rolled around to MOT time, there needed to be something done about my suspension. Which was a definate MOT failure.

Dan at 519 had something in the pipeline which wasnt quite ready, but my MOT was fast approaching, so we fitted some Vmaxx coilovers to tide me over.

12889050.jpg

68a5c7a9.jpg

Turns out though that two weeks later, Spax were ready to take my car for the development work, so it was a bit of a wasted exercise.

Excellent, I was going to have some fantastic suspension built on my car.

My good mood was slightly ruined though when I got down there. My gearbox started making some lovely noises, a constant whirring noise had developed. I had my hopes set on it being the clutch release bearing. So we left the car with Spax, and told them to be gentle!

8cdc06b2.jpg

Bye car!

5 Days later, and it was ready. I got the train down to Dans, and we went over to Bicester, where we greeted by the little thing bouncing down the road.

We had a look over everything and discussed what had been done, and it was a perfect set up. The engineers down there had worked miracles getting the right damping and spring rates.

973d995d.jpg

0d96eb6d.jpg

f6f59fd3.jpg

So as we were down at Spax, I asked Dan to take it out for a spin and confirm with me, what was making the noise that worried me.

The worst was confirmed. Dif bearings were on their way out. Gearbox out job :dapprove:

S4 Avant
With a limited number of miles available to me now, before the diff ate itself completely, I had to stop using the car everyday, and only make essential trips. Like my MOT and FCS (debatable).

Either way, I got the MOT booked, and it failed epicly on emissions. Like I told them it would.

I hadn't bargained on them actually wanting to put the cat back on though to do the retest. Normally when I say, the cat is in the boot and there's a decat on it, they understand the implications. But this garage wanted to do things by the book. I wasn't particularly happy, since it's taken f*cking ages to get my exhaust to seal properly, without it blowing. They also wanted to charge me for a second lambda sensor, since mine has been removed. Don't think they appreciated me setting them straight about lambda sensors and fuelling though

Well, with the cat back on, it passed. Surprise surprise. But now I was left to drive my f*cked car home, and oh look, the exhaust is blowing. Tossers.

So that same day, I got it up in the air and started making it ready for FCS.

a112470c.jpg

Smashed foglight came out

e6c414f3.jpg

f56278f7.jpg

Starting to collect the f*ckers!

79291615.jpg

d32230f0.jpg

bab45cbe.jpg

Better.

Last thing to do was sticker it up ready to look like a tw*t at FCS

b566864b.jpg

The car made it down, around the parade lap and back up, absolutely fine. So I was very pleased with it. But now it's sat in a corner waiting to have the box pulled out. Looking very sorry for itself too :(

Just a couple of stolen pictures from FCS then:

5804404905_1aab36622b_b.jpg

5801383427_e67566cf0d_b.jpg

5800702294_ce526d45d8_b.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

It needs a lot of attention since it's in such a state now. But it will be back.

Last edited:
  Milltek'd clio 182
saw this at the fcs, looking good fella, alot better than when you first purchased it, would of never expected it the way it was before you owned it poor little thing, obvoiously in the right hands now, well done fella

S4 Avant
saw this at the fcs, looking good fella, alot better than when you first purchased it, would of never expected it the way it was before you owned it poor little thing, obvoiously in the right hands now, well done fella

Cheers! I think most people are shocked by how it used to look. I barely recognise it at the start of this thread. It's coming up to 4 years now since I bought the car and we've been through a hell of a lot together!

Quick update about recent events.

I took it up to a mates garage about 3 weeks ago where it's been ever since. Last week I went up to see the gearbox come out, where we found something very interesting!

Up on the ramps it goes

ccaaaef5.jpg

Clios second home that is^

23fd81ba.jpg

bb308a2f.jpg

Engine brace fitted. Perfectly fine. In no way whatsoever is that going to bend the plastic wing, I wasn't over reacting in anyway shape or form :eek:

4af3dca3.jpg

e8f8a516.jpg

Drive shaft out.

...and finally, remove gearbox

54813dd1.jpg

Cheers Mark ;)

Now for the interesting bit. Having pulled it out, I was all ready to take the box with me for a refurb, where the diff bearings would be sorted.

But wait... what's this?!

c496c43b.jpg

37d898c3.jpg

That looks like it was once a release bearing...

9cd59ac4.jpg

...and that'll be the clutch that it's been grinding away at!

Well that's saved me a gearbox refurb... quick trip to Renault and I've got myself a new release bearing shaft/support/sleeve/thing.

96e0a60a.jpg

Old one really was f*cked.

Then shopped about for a few more bits, and it should all be going back together again tomorrow night!

7a9b7715.jpg

Starting to miss the little thing. As much as it annoys me day to day, it is an awesome car.