ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The latest cheap shed, Passat PD130

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not sure why I do it to myself but I've ended up with this. Sold my Uncle the Saab we had and asked what he was doing with his passat, "scrapping it, it's ruined", then I heard someone who sounded just like me saying "I'll fill the saab up and take the passat in exhange". Wife was over the moon about the first half of the conversation when she got home, less so about the next bit.

So details, 2001 Passat S B5.5 PD130 on 197k, loads and loads of history, MOT until December and a new clutch 4k ago. But I'm not convinced it had been cleaned or hoovered in the 5 years he owned it. Got it looking like this

34398933162_83be470a1d_c.jpg
Untitled by john.holligan, on Flickr

33717593594_0626827fbd_c.jpg

34560562265_4671ca6694_c.jpg

34398821952_58a6c4e68b_c.jpg

34519190156_36ef0b6df6_c.jpg

34519197266_451bb4113b_c.jpg

33750012673_81efd76610_c.jpg

34430092751_bda27a85f5_c.jpg

33717577454_616e45738f_c.jpg

First things first, what can I do for free?

33749925003_cfd618f9e2_c.jpg

And took out the Alpine headunit and sold it for £30! Went and bought a new light, wipers and various odds and sods from the scrappies then set about trying to clean the interior. Spent about 3 hours and the only thing that was ok really was the mats (that aren't even for this!)

33749134993_cf9640bbe3_c.jpg

The seats still looked like this

34173673910_d8a20bae5a_c.jpg

34173664140_293907ac86_c.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
In that time I'd used a little, done some maths and realised that if I sell the RB I can get the flamer better so the decision was made to keep this for a little while.

What better to do than take the standard headunit back out and take the alpine from the RB so its got bluetooth and this

34429205221_7b657d8e17_c.jpg

which highlighted that every single speaker looked similar to this

34559516785_58719a3bc8_c.jpg

got 2 from a scrappies for the front and left the rears disconnected cos I don't like rearfill anyway

On Sunday night I was struggling to sleep and ended uo browsing ebay, which is a stupid thing to do. But then found these locally for £100, heated leather ftw!

33716727554_c47acd92cd_c.jpg

Got the full interior from the Highline spec one so leather seats, doorcards and centre console Monday afternoon and had it all fitted by the evening, very easy to do on these cars

34429221951_3624a57bbf_c.jpg

33749121723_d1d28f31b2_c.jpg

Gave the carpets a good hoover whilst it was all out and it honestly feels like a different car now! Final interior things to do are a new gear gaiter and a mk4 golf 3 spoke steering wheel.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Needed to get rid of this shonky mesh

IMG_1207.JPG

Got a grill for a fiver, needs a clean but that fine

IMG_1208.JPG

And last night for some stupid reason started to back to black it and gave the wheeltrims a cost spray of dragons breath!

IMG_1209.JPG

Will need to clean it properly and finish back to blacking it. Then keep an eye out for some nice cheap alloys.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Such a solid engine, loving the effort to clean it up too.

One thing I did with my disgusting Volvo/Golf interiors was use a Magic sponge and some APC mixed with water, its a particularly good mix for removing the "Shine" off of dirty leather seats, but equally good for caked in aids on plastics. Give it a shot!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Good shout Jason, the only original bits of trim now are the dash, fag bin and rear boot bits, load cover is minging but not sure if I'll do much about that.

I knew you were odd @Knuckles but thats the strangest fetish I've heard of! But yes I will, wife is taking it to work tomorrow and obviously dark now so remind me if I forget.

I figured it was gonna cost about £50 to get the seats clean by a valter so man maths made the leather an easy decision!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I find that the magic sponge gets just about any stain off of anything (Insert your own jokes here). I wish I'd found out about its magical abilities sooner, especially during my teen years.... You can get a pack of them off amazon prime for bugger all! Couldn't believe how black the water was after I cleaned the steering wheel on the Volvo... properly grim.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I think there might be one in the cupboard under the sink already. Don't have to be a teenager to have disturbing stains about the place. (owning a toddler requires one)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Same colour as my family wagon. Mine's in a lot better nick than that though lol! Epic machines though, I have a soft spot for ours

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Epic is a sting word Marc!

Yeah, I'm surprised it was only an advisory at the last mot, a new pair will help it look slightly less s**t!
Epic works for me - it does absolutely everything I need it to! For a 14 year old car, it's a lovely place to be as well, I really enjoy it.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Wife took it to work again today but left the lights on. Massive thanks to @Djw Dave for saving the day.

Also, does anyone know of a cheaper way of sorting the door module than the 7 billion pounds that VW forums seem to think it'll cost?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
One of my favourite cars I had was my seat ibiza with the same engine. I spent a lot of time and effort maintaining the engine as best as I could and got some unbelievable figures out if it in terms of mpg. I'll find you my thread as it might help for some ideas.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
So far all the work in the engine bay is unplugging the vac line to the egr and covered the rad with cardboard. If it manages tomorrow 300+ miles trip fine then I'll invest in a thermostat for it!
Found that I can do diagnostics on the climatatronic which highlighted that the gauge is a dirty liar.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
So far all the work in the engine bay is unplugging the vac line to the egr and covered the rad with cardboard. If it manages tomorrow 300+ miles trip fine then I'll invest in a thermostat for it!
Found that I can do diagnostics on the climatatronic which highlighted that the gauge is a dirty liar.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=320705

Got it. Copied it a few hours ago and forgot to post haha

Found this I made too

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/top...and-how-to-fit-the-group-buy-egr-delete-pipe/

Reactions: Ben

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Wanted one of these for my Mum, but ended up getting her a B5.5 1.8T 20V auto because it was an utter bargain, bloody love Passat estates, massive amounts of room and comfy as f*ck.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just got to Aberdeen in it, 70-80 the whole way, 40mpg. That doesn't seem that great to me. Given the clio does similar/more.

Not sure I'll have it long enough to make it worthwhile investigating the issue though!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just got to Aberdeen in it, 70-80 the whole way, 40mpg. That doesn't seem that great to me. Given the clio does similar/more.

Not sure I'll have it long enough to make it worthwhile investigating the issue though!
You would have seen 50mpg at 65/70.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I know the thermostat is weak, on the hidden climatronic menu I was keeping an eye on the temp, even with the rad completely blocked off with cardboard it was running high 70s, low 80s. The only was I can get it to be around 90 degrees is by kicking its hole in/sitting at 90. Got 37mpg on the way home but that was north of Aberdeen to near Edinburgh in 2 hours 10 so I'm not gonna complain about that!

I need to way up the options of what all needs done and how long I plan to keep it. The tyres make ling longs look premium, wife drifted it like a pro round a roundabout this morning with me behind her, held it lovely and was funny as f**k seeing this land yacht with a good full turn of opposite lock on at about 10-15 mph!

Just acutely aware that I dont want to fix it up too much as it'll always be a £600 car at the end of the day!

340i
Epic barge.

I've got an A4 Avant PD130 (same car, different badge!).. It's covered a mere 163,000 miles, with minimal problems.

I was suffering from poor MPG and the engine / coolant not coming up to temp. £3 thermostat and a bottle of coolant, sorted.... MPG went from low 30's to mid 50's! On a long run I'll see 600 miles to a tank.

3eb912a5a9e3ffd97fe9a2b8c9e5037b.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
That's more my sort of maths. All the vag forum bufties are banging on about how it has to be oem or everyone will die but f**k spending £70 to sort that out, car only cost that!

340i
That's more my sort of maths. All the vag forum bufties are banging on about how it has to be oem or everyone will die but f**k spending £70 to sort that out, car only cost that!

Just checked, it was a Circoli branded thermostat - Looked identical to the OEM one I removed. I did buy genuine coolant from TPS though, was cheap enough and I bought Quantum PD oil at the same time.

I am sure you know, but the PD engines run on a very particular oil.. Book recommends 5w30, but if you've done moon miles use 5w40. It seemed to 'quieten' down my engine when warm.

They just have a feature that requires oil with a high shear resistance. All PD engines do. You can buy any PD suitable oil, but quantum from TPS is about the cheapest you'll get anyway short of buying in bulk.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
And........... it's broken.

Fell into limp mode yesterday on the way home from Glasgow. I'd noticed the mpg had been shocking (32 at 70mph) and it felt a little down on power and then it became a lot down on power.

Thankfully I was nearly at my wife's work so I ditched it there and stole her car to get the wee one home. Once she was in bed and I had someone to look after her I went and got it.

Wasn't in limp anymore but there was a big delay in pressing the throttle and anything happening, and it wasn't happy staying at a constant speed. So combined with that and me being pissed off with it I kicked its teeth in all the way home. 23mpg over 16 miles has to be some sort of record in these no?

Not looked at it since but my feelings are it's a loose hose or a blocked something.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sold. Didn't lose on it but couldn't say I made profit. Covered all my costs including running it and enough left over for a takeaway!
Never did figure out the problem with it.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
MAF Sensor maybe? I had issues with mine a while back, wouldn't see above 60mph, and rubbish MPG's. Not that it matters, given you've chopped it in!

Once we finish up moving house, we'll be getting rid of ours too, I should think.