ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What a great read, and a massive disappointment by KTEC. Hope it continues to keep you happy and not abuse your wallet too much more.

Oh and you'd be surprised on the aircon power increase!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What a great read, and a massive disappointment by KTEC. Hope it continues to keep you happy and not abuse your wallet too much more.

Oh and you'd be surprised on the aircon power increase!

Thanks for the reply, Rob. Fingers crossed the only hit to the wallet in future will be carefully thought out ones and none that are unexpected! As for the aircon... I didn't think the increase would be all that significant? I appreciate it's a fair weight mind but in terms of additional power I wouldn't realistically expect an increase as such? Not that I would complain if there was of course... LOL!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Its not too bad: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?552996-JMS-Air-Con-Removal-Package-(PH2-RS)

Would have been considerably cheaper to do when you were having the cambelt re-done anyway though. Doh :dapprove:

Best engine mod i've made by a long shot.

Mate - is the linked JMS aircon delete kit the one you went with? I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting it done whilst I'm in the midst of throwing all caution to the wind regarding spending... LOL! :D

EDIT: Ignore... just double-checked your project thread and saw that it was the JMS kit you went for. *embarrassed*

Last edited:
  2005 Cliosport 182
Just sat and read all 11 pages. Awesome Trophy, the worst luck though! Glad its sorted now for you mate.

ex 182, now Evo IV
amazing car here mate, just read from start to finish, its like a story book haha!
definately a keeper thats for sure..

p.s can i borrow lynn ?

i wish i had that much bought for me :dapprove:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
amazing car here mate, just read from start to finish, its like a story book haha!
definately a keeper thats for sure..

p.s can i borrow lynn ?

i wish i had that much bought for me 😞

Thanks mate - appreciate the comments. As for Lyn... sadly we parted and went our separate ways some time ago. She is now quite rightly spending her money on her own car as a result! Obviously I am grateful for the parts nevertheless. :smiley:

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
May 2011 (Update)

Just a quick update this time...

This is what happens when driveshafts let go (or the CV boots split) and grease gets caked and baked onto your alloys. What a mess!

However, the first problem I encountered was getting the wheels off the car. The muppets at the local tyre place had put them (the nuts) on WAY too tight and consequently I could not move them, not even with a longer bar. In fact I ended up breaking the jack and bar that comes with the car as standard as they weren't able to withstand the forces applied. A quick trip to the aforementioned tyre place and they were loosened before being tighthened back up to 105nm as per Renault's guidelines.

Back at home I was finally able to get the wheels off for cleaning.

As you can see below, it was not just a case of a few grease spots here and there. There was a thick layer of grease around the whole inside of the alloy.

20110521_alloys01.jpg

A quick rinse down was certainly not going to be enough to remove any of the grease. I tried it and was proved right. :D

20110521_alloys02.jpg

Wonder Wheels would not even begin to touch it (which I used carefully due to it's somewhat acidic nature). So, I tried a small sample of Meg's Super Degreaser and let it dwell for a while. Even this did not remove much of the grease.

20110521_alloys03.jpg

Large grease deposits were still evident as can clearly be seen in the photos.

20110521_alloys04.jpg

In the end I resorted to grabbing a few pairs of latex gloves and literally spent a few hours removing the grease by hand; carefully using my fingers to scoop away the worst of the gunk. After a while things started to look a little better and the Super Degreaser began to work much more effectively (which reminds me, I must get some more).

20110521_alloys05.jpg

After a lot of elbow grease (no pun intended) I treated the alloys to a final thorough clean and rinse before applying a liberal amount of wax/sealant to protect them. Considering the state they were in, and the abuse they've taken recently, they came up quite well.
Finally, the wheels were put back onto the car and her shoes were looking a bit cleaner than before the ordeal!

20110521_alloys06.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
M8 - I had the same a few years back - the clip split, the boot detached and the inside of the alloy got caked like yours.

You know what the best thing I used to cut through the grease? A warm mixture of water and Fairy liquid - clearing it off with a sink sponge. Previous to that, I tried degreasers and they were hardly touching it. The Fairy & water combo didn't exactly cut through it with ease - but I had the whole alloy cleaned in under 10mins. Might be worth considering if it does it again - hopefully not!

D.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome read mate! Lovely car!

love it mate, awesome!
Thanks guys - glad you like it. :D

where have your aerocatches gone andy!!
Still there, mate... but I have indeed posted the wrong image link... Well spotted! D'oh! :eek: She should look like this (I don't have another suitable alloy shot to hand).

20110319_itbs01.jpg

It's been a long day... LOL!

M8 - I had the same a few years back - the clip split, the boot detached and the inside of the alloy got caked like yours.

You know what the best thing I used to cut through the grease? A warm mixture of water and Fairy liquid - clearing it off with a sink sponge. Previous to that, I tried degreasers and they were hardly touching it. The Fairy & water combo didn't exactly cut through it with ease - but I had the whole alloy cleaned in under 10mins. Might be worth considering if it does it again - hopefully not!

D.
Thanks for the advice, mate. It seems to happen so regularly (i.e. the CV boot splits) that I expect I'll be scrubbing them again at some point. I joined a detailing forum and the recommendation was to use paraffin or diesel to cut through the gunk and then ensure they are well cleaned and waxed/sealed afterwards.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Lol, my o/s boot clip gave up the ghost a few weeks back too! Lucky that I was spending the day doing a wheel off clean as I wouldn't have spotted it otherwise. The aforementioned clip even had the cheek to have wrapped itself around the abs ring. The cheeky bugger.

I used some uber cheap asda special degreaser which to be fair cut straight through the grease.

On a side note, you going to FCS Andy?

Ollie's Silver Cup
It's just clicked that you're the same Sharky from DW; I'm not sure how I ever missed this thread!

It's good the issues have been sorted; looks fantastic! :)

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
Another start to finish here. Fantastic thread, has convinced me to really start sortng out all the issues with mine. And i will definatley be wrapping it red next!

Keep up the good work

Ollie's Silver Cup
Did you clean up the rocker cover to that pristine finish, or was it like that from when TDF sorted the engine? Looks immaculate!

If I could get mine that clean, I don't think I'd bother painting it!

Flame Red 172
Well that was an interesting read, really good write up mate glad you got everything sorted. One of the best project thread in terms of the wirte up

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, my o/s boot clip gave up the ghost a few weeks back too! Lucky that I was spending the day doing a wheel off clean as I wouldn't have spotted it otherwise. The aforementioned clip even had the cheek to have wrapped itself around the abs ring. The cheeky bugger.

I used some uber cheap asda special degreaser which to be fair cut straight through the grease.

On a side note, you going to FCS Andy?
Sorry about the delayed reply mate - not been to well the last few days hence the lack of reply and a no-show at the FCS. I was hoping to make a last minute appearance, too, especially as I've not been to FCS before. Next year hopefully! As for the clips... yes, they are little buggers and can end up in the strangest places once they come off. Anyways, hope you had a good FCS mate. :D

It's just clicked that you're the same Sharky from DW; I'm not sure how I ever missed this thread!

It's good the issues have been sorted; looks fantastic! :)
Indeed I am fella. I joined DW to get some advice about the alloy issues I posted prior (damn that grease was thick!) Seems a good site but I need to resist the urge to splash out on too many products as I'm going to be paying off the repair work (as written in my thread) for a short while longer yet. And I so need cams... and two new driveshafts by the looks of it. *sigh*

Looks f**king fabulous, great read and a great car... the best trophy ive seen no doubt :)

Just read this thread from start to finish,

Fantastic Read!!

Top work!!

Another start to finish here. Fantastic thread, has convinced me to really start sortng out all the issues with mine. And i will definatley be wrapping it red next!

Keep up the good work

Thank you for the kind words - appreciate the feedback and you taking time out to read through it.

Did you clean up the rocker cover to that pristine finish, or was it like that from when TDF sorted the engine? Looks immaculate!

If I could get mine that clean, I don't think I'd bother painting it!

Well, I would like to say I cleaned it myself but I'd be telling porkies. The ultra-clean look is courtesy of TDF and a thorough bath! LOL!

Well that was an interesting read, really good write up mate glad you got everything sorted. One of the best project thread in terms of the wirte up

Thanks mate - hopefully there will be more to come soon. Cheers! :D

Milltek'd clio 182
just read every page, an i honestly think you should write a biography for this motor, what an amazing car, an alot of money has gone into this, just want to say it looks really good and i love the standard clean appeal of the whole thing, good on ya fella

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
just read every page, an i honestly think you should write a biography for this motor, what an amazing car, an alot of money has gone into this, just want to say it looks really good and i love the standard clean appeal of the whole thing, good on ya fella

I'm not sure the biography would sell too well mate but I appreciate the generous comments all the same. :D You hit the nail on the head, too... whilst trying to get a little more performance out of the Trophy I'm also trying to keep it as clean and 'standard' as possible (ignoring the bonnet catches!) Subtle is the way to go - at least for me. Cheers!

I might have some mroe to write about soon as my gearbox had a 'moment' on the way to work this morning. The first time I've ever had a problem with the transmission. Pulling onto the dual carriageway I went to change from third to fourth and it would not go into gear :( I couldn't shift down either so ended up coasting to a halt at the side of the road. Luckily it was early and clear. I switched off and restarted the engine five minutes later and all was well, albeit the gear change feeling a little alien. One minute it feels extra, extra smooth and the next minute it's as notchy as hell. Not good... :(

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Mines gone a bit clunky recently too Andy, can sometimes struggle to get reverse if on full lock. Going to change dog bone mount to powerflex and run some new oil through it (when I summon the courage to pick up the spanners!)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Fantastic updates Andy, I've not checked your thread in a few months. I bet it feels like a brand new car to drive now. Mega, mega jealous.

After seeing Owens car at FCS, I've never been so tempted to raid the piggy bank and look at the ITB's route. Must...resist...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You've only gone and bloody jinxed my car! :rasp:

Gave it a wash before work this morning, to find that the inner rim of the alloy looked like your first greased-baked picture of Post #208! Got two clips spare and some CV grease on the shelf. Looks like a nice messy job to sort out.... again!

D.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
love this trophy :)

Give the box oil a change first! Might be nothing
Cheers Silent and good call on the 'box oil. To be honest I cannot remember when I last had the oil changed. I remember having it done... Considering the fact I have receipts and full history of everything to do with my Trophy I cannot (having looked earlier) find anything stating when I had it done! In which case I think your suggestion is the first and best bet... :D

Mines gone a bit clunky recently too Andy, can sometimes struggle to get reverse if on full lock. Going to change dog bone mount to powerflex and run some new oil through it (when I summon the courage to pick up the spanners!)
Funnily enough I've noticed that reverse is harder to find since I moved into my new place. To reverse towards (or into) the garage I have to apply a fair bit of lock and I've never put two and two together before. I'm already running the uprated mounts and all appear fine it would seem; hence I'm going with the new oil and see where we go from there. I hope it's just a case of fresh oil for yourself, too... get them there spanners out!

Fantastic updates Andy, I've not checked your thread in a few months. I bet it feels like a brand new car to drive now. Mega, mega jealous.

After seeing Owens car at FCS, I've never been so tempted to raid the piggy bank and look at the ITB's route. Must...resist...
Hi Luke and yes, it's a completely different car to be honest. I loved driving it before - i.e. when it was some way short of the stock performance - so you can probably imagine the grin factor now. I know some people get fed up of cars and swap them as often as they do their socks but I can't see myself getting rid of the Trophy as it's an absolute blast and (recent upgrades and issues aside) a cheap performance car to have. :cool:

You've only gone and bloody jinxed my car! :rasp:

Gave it a wash before work this morning, to find that the inner rim of the alloy looked like your first greased-baked picture of Post #208! Got two clips spare and some CV grease on the shelf. Looks like a nice messy job to sort out.... again!

D.
Who? Me? :quiet:

Well mate - what do you expect? If I had to go through the pain and agony of degreasing some pretty gunked-up alloys then it's only fair someone else does, too. This time fate chose YOU. :rasp:

Joking aside get that Fairy Liquid out, get some hot water, and get scrubbin'... I'm off to order me some fresh new gearbox juice...

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A very good friend of mine popped over Saturday so we took the Trophy out for a quick blast to get rid of some of the cobwebs (she's had a lazy week) and to introduce him to the delights of Trophy ownership! :D (Any excuse to get out for some B-road fun). Strangely, the 4th gear pull seems to have significantly improved and I have no idea why. Not that I'm complaining...! Bonus.

I gave her a quick clean (which was a waste of time as it started p!$$ing down minutes later)...

20110611_update02.jpg

20110611_update01.jpg

Afterwards I took a quick look under the bonnet (to check oil and generally carry out a bit of cleaning and maintenance). It would seem that my small leak has come back again...

It doesn't appear to be particularly bad (and the dipstick isn't showing any noticeable oil loss) but I'll be keeping my eye on it just in case; especially with all the issues of late. Should I be worried? :S

20110611_update03.jpg

20110611_update04.jpg

Cheers.

TrackCar & F30 330d
If you can see excactly where it's coming from can you not wipe it clean and then bash a little bit of silicon sealer stuff over it?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
If you can see excactly where it's coming from can you not wipe it clean and then bash a little bit of silicon sealer stuff over it?

shouldnt be leaking after the work that was done

oh yeah! You had the head done!! Give Matt a call, Andy
Thanks for the replies guys. 'Tis all now under control and Matt has contacted me. I know it's not much but it's making a mess of my oh so shiny engine bay... it cost me a small fortune to get it looking like that! :rofl:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've currently got the loan of a mate's GoPro Hero HD so thought I'd get out and attempt to grab some footage. I had no idea what the quality would be like having never used one before. It turns out the video footage was ok but the audio wasn't too hot. I really wanted to try and capture the sound of the ITB's / exhaust and, whilst I did, it sounds like I'm listening to them through a layer of cotton wool!

I'll try and get some decent footage (and audio) when the better weather returns... cheers.

Last edited:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
So many trophy's I want another, although I love my cup too much now :(

Video turned out pretty decent mate, I'm no media guru but it seemed decent, would love to hear some fly by's of it maybe next time you're out in the mountains you can get some.