ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Was in O2 tonight. Very nearly picked up a HTC One M8 on a 24 month contract. £33 per month unlimited texts/ calls and 4gb of data. My head told me to wait until Wednesday for the expected release of the M8 Eye.

Reactions: AK
  2014 Focus Titanium
Had a look at some reviews of the Xperia Z3 last night, looks an awesome piece of kit! LOVE the idea of Sony Remote play, that's a fantastic addition (even though I'm a PC gamer so it's moot)

Yeah looking forward to Android L - though I currently run an Android L theme, so I won't see much difference when it does come out :).

ART will be the standard runtime then won't it? Just checked battery life - I'm sure it's 48 hours now, but im at 44% :) no charges for 2 days!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes ART will be the standard runtime for the vanilla ASOP build, about time too.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Certainly smashed my N5 out of the park! lol

15419655092_ec73436b24_c.png
Screenshot_2014-10-02-15-41-53 by tomwh1te, on Flickr

I need to switch over to ART, currently still on Dalvik - apparently that improves battery life too as the apps are pre-compiled, though not sure how it will affect apps that are already open etc (aka already compiled).

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah looking forward to Android L - though I currently run an Android L theme, so I won't see much difference when it does come out :).

ART will be the standard runtime then won't it? Just checked battery life - I'm sure it's 48 hours now, but im at 44% :) no charges for 2 days!

I run a theme that's fairly similar too and I do like how simply smart it is. Although I prefer my current icon pack

drRxzu9L

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Anyone got the new moto g dual sim? As would be ideal for me having a dual sim phone. But worried going from an iPhone to a cheap android phone.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had a look at the oneplus-one, and was tempted by the nexus 6 (the 5 was brilliant). But all too big for me. I've gone for a z3 compact. Very happy. Epic battery life, great camera and noise cancelling headphone tech built in.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Had a look at the oneplus-one, and was tempted by the nexus 6 (the 5 was brilliant). But all too big for me. I've gone for a z3 compact. Very happy. Epic battery life, great camera and noise cancelling headphone tech built in.
The Mrs loves hers.
Seems pretty good from what I've seen with it. Battery life is brilliant, and she said the signal is much better compared to her last Sony phone. She never had signal in work and now she has full signal.
Camera is awesome too.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I charge my IPhone 3 times a day it's really annoying me. Im temptation try an Android phone.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I charge my IPhone 3 times a day it's really annoying me. Im temptation try an Android phone.
As an iPhone5 owner, there isn't a better time to buy an Android phone, such a great choice out there. The new M8/9 and G3/G4 will be something special.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Thats why I said at the time. At the time of its release it will be better than anything else out there. IMO.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm quite looking forward to seeing the 6...hell I may even go all Apple and upgrade purely because I can even though my 5 still works more than fine on a daily basis.

Screen/body size? I think most will get used to it over time.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I think if it's much bigger than the 5, then I may be slightly put off :( the 5 is about the limit size wise for my girly hands

2014 Focus Titanium
There are rumours that there might be two iterations, a 5.2 and 6 inch Nexus 6. October 31st needs to hurry up! If I don't go for the Nexus I reckon it'll be the OP One

2014 Focus Titanium
I love HTC. I really hope that they keep pushing forward because the quality of their products is excellent IMO. Tempted to try one again...

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Well, they have released is the HTC Desire Eye but no HTC One Eye. Im not convinced about the plastic unibody and may still opt for the One M8 due to it feeling more 'premium'

HTC Desire EYE Specifications
SIZE:
151.7 x 73.8 x 8.5 mm
WEIGHT: 154 grams
DISPLAY: 5.2 inch Full HD 1080p
CPU SPEED Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 801 2.3 GHz, quad-core CPUs
PLATFORM Android™ with HTC Sense™
MEMORY
Total storage:
16 GB, available capacity varies
RAM: 2GB
Expansion card slot supports microSD™ memory card for up to 128GB additional storage (card not included)

SENSORS
Accelerometer
Proximity sensor

Ambient Light sensor
Gyro sensor
Durability
IPX7 - Water proof up to 1m for 30mins
CaMeRA
HTC Eye™ Experience with Face Tracking, Screen Share, Split Capture, Face Fusion, Live Makeup, Auto Selfie, Voice Selfie, Photo Booth, Crop Me In
Dedicated camera button

Rear camera
13MP , BSI sensor, f/2.0, 28mm lens, wide angle, with HDR capability
1080p Full HD video recording
Dual LED Flash

Front camera
13MP, Auto-focus with zoom capability, BSI sensor, f/2.2, 22mm lens, wide angle, with HDR capability
1080p Full HD video recording
Dual LED Flash

BATTERY
Capacity: 2400 mAh
Talk time: Up to 20 hours for 3G

Standby time: Up to 538 hours for 3G

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing really specially. I always wonder how they sell enough low end phones to justify them. Same goes for Samsung and Sony etc.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I know, pretty disappointing really. Like I say I'm going to go with the M8, camera isn't a big issue as I've only taken 146 photos on my nexus I've had nearly 12 months.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
One thing is, you'll get a cracking deal with the phone having been out for a while. Tom said it was still the best Android to buy if looking away from Apple. I trust his judgement in most cases. In regards to the camera I doubt it will be that bad, it's a flagship phone that's not that old.

I like the G3 personally but I think i'd edge towards the HTC even with that front design i'm not sure about.

2014 Focus Titanium
My issue with HTC is that they never make an ultra-flagship phone. The specs are always 'good' but never amazing. It's really annoying because I think their build quality and software is fantastic, just give me an all-singing, all-dancing phone and I'll give you my money!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My issue with HTC is that they never make an ultra-flagship phone. The specs are always 'good' but never amazing. It's really annoying because I think their build quality and software is fantastic, just give me an all-singing, all-dancing phone and I'll give you my money!!

You know i'm far from techy but didn't the M8 rival the G3/S5/Nexus etc without blowing it out the water like it could?

2014 Focus Titanium
The M8 was really only a new iteration of the One, which is fine, but like you say it only really rivalled the N5/S5, it didn't lead the pack. If you look at others, they lead the pack for a few months until something else comes out to beat it (G3, Note4, etc). I just want HTC to do the same, bring something out that makes me go WOW.