ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The new TV thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've signed up to the VIP club, meaning £100 off, so £599.00

Although the 55" is only another £70, but I'm wondering if that will be too big TBH.

Is the 48C24LA worth the extra £200?
You don't game do you so probably don't need HDMI 2.1 which comes on the 48c24la.

£600 for an OLED is bloody good though tbh. Have you got room for a 55"? The only reason I didn't go 55" was the room, mine would have overhung the unit and with children it wasn't a great idea. It was actually cheaper than the 48" when I bought mine.

The one you posted is £599 in John Lewis too.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
You don't game do you so probably don't need HDMI 2.1 which comes on the 48c24la.

£600 for an OLED is bloody good though tbh. Have you got room for a 55"? The only reason I didn't go 55" was the room, mine would have overhung the unit and with children it wasn't a great idea. It was actually cheaper than the 48" when I bought mine.

We have room, but the way it's laid out, I genuinely think it would be too big as we don't sit that far away from it, hence thinking the 50" we already have is the limit.

I think I'm just going to go for the 48A26LA at £599

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The only issue I'd have is that a soundbar won't fit due to the stand. I looked at one for mine and it would look daft sitting 2-3" in front of the TV and it might cut off the bottom of the screen.
Brilliant TV though.

IMG_20221125_130917.jpg

IMG_20221125_131010_edit_3339482423306570.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yeah, I didn't think of that, lol. Might have to make a plinth for the TV to sit on to raise it an inch or so.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
It's a white TV stand anyway, so will try to get something to match/wrapped.

Can't be any heavier than the 50" plasma currently on there
If you had a 50” plasma then why didn’t you go 55” as surely adding the bezel thickness of the plasma would make it similar to the 55 dimensions. It did for us when we replaced the MiL’s old 50 tv with a new-un.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I went 65" and it's about the perfect size, maybe 60" would be optimum, depending on bezel anyway. I certainly never regretted it. I would say quality over size if the price etc is in the ball park. Give me a 55" Sony class over a cheaper 65" TV, it will look night and day, I think anyone would say that.

My next TV will be a Sony, everytime I see one in someones house i'm always blown away with clarity etc even on smaller 45" etc they look amazing so i'm going down that route next!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I went 65" and it's about the perfect size, maybe 60" would be optimum, depending on bezel anyway. I certainly never regretted it. I would say quality over size if the price etc is in the ball park. Give me a 55" Sony class over a cheaper 65" TV, it will look night and day, I think anyone would say that.

My next TV will be a Sony, everytime I see one in someones house i'm always blown away with clarity etc even on smaller 45" etc they look amazing so i'm going down that route next!

I've just come from a 49" Sony 4k bought in 2016 to a 65" 4k Samsung.

I prefer the size.
And the Sony was slow as hell to operate
Like really slow

340i
Called in Richer Sounds earlier... One left of the model I was eyeing up online. Fitter like a glove in my 3 series [emoji28]

Also ordered the HW-Q700B soundbar, basically saved £500 off RRP with a Samsung promotion and black Friday 'offer' - That should arrive early next week.

Erm, happy early Christmas to me!
89e030eb62ec474c217464ff8169a456.jpg

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Called in Richer Sounds earlier... One left of the model I was eyeing up online. Fitter like a glove in my 3 series [emoji28]

Also ordered the HW-Q700B soundbar, basically saved £500 off RRP with a Samsung promotion and black Friday 'offer' - That should arrive early next week.

Erm, happy early Christmas to me!View attachment 1621550

Jealous of the 90B
Not jealous of the 55 inch.. 🤣🤣

Enjoy though.

I'm looking into the Q800 soundbar but let me know how you find the Q700 one.

I've not used my Sony soundbar since getting this TV. The TV speakers are more than adequate so far

340i
Jealous of the 90B
Not jealous of the 55 inch.. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Enjoy though.

I'm looking into the Q800 soundbar but let me know how you find the Q700 one.

I've not used my Sony soundbar since getting this TV. The TV speakers are more than adequate so far
I would like to go larger... Annoyingly 65" is slightly too big for our living room.

TV stands on a unit in the corner, not ideal!
f2e2d03ba7cc49ce0238be9246d2b3a4.jpg

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
The only issue I'd have is that a soundbar won't fit due to the stand. I looked at one for mine and it would look daft sitting 2-3" in front of the TV and it might cut off the bottom of the screen.
Brilliant TV though.

View attachment 1621509
View attachment 1621510

Yeah, I didn't think of that, lol. Might have to make a plinth for the TV to sit on to raise it an inch or so.

Iirc people on AVforum were using an Ikea floating shelf as a plinth for them that fitted well.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How do you write it off for them not to know you've done it deliberately?

I should check how much I've got on mine from Richer.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
How do you write it off for them not to know you've done it deliberately?

I should check how much I've got on mine from Richer.
I had reported that he screen had a cluster of pixels missing at the side of the screen (pictured below) the engineers took pics of this and they also saw a bit of screen burn, as it’s a 2017 model they couldn’t replace the screen so just wrote it off.

1E9DA371-4609-4A93-AC8E-8461654CB81A.jpeg
C4CFC3D3-12D1-44CA-8E2A-4413075C4917.jpeg

Took a few calls to the insurer to sort it out afterwards and I had to reject their first offer of replacements as they were attempting to give me either the basic LG A series OLED or some crappy Samsung/non OLED TVs instead which were worth far less than the old one was insured for. I managed to speak to someone to sort me out with the latest C series, could have got a G but would have had to put a bit of money towards it.

Still keeping the old TV and giving it to the MIL as apart from the minor problems it still works great.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I've noticed with the new TV it sounds great on music, nice and bassy etc if I'm sat on the edge of the couch. But if I sit even 1ft further back, in my normal position, all the bass seems to disappear 🙄 it's set in a corner so I'm wondering if that effects it.

Corsa Van. Meh.
Stuck between the LG G2 and Samsung QN95B (both 55”).
Can get them for the same price.
Anyone got any experience?

Kingpin

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I bought a 70" Samsung, had it for just on a year and my friend noticed the bottom of the screen was darker then the rest of TV.
I thought it was just a reflection till I tested it.
On youtube you can find tests for Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) - basically for me on solid colors you can really see it,

Changed over to a laser projector by Epson EF-100 - tiny thing but amazing to watch films at 120"+ on the wall and as its laser no bulb to die- apparently will last about 11 years.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Going to be fine to get a new TV soon as our trusty 42 inch plasma from 2009 is moved into the family room.

Was all set on a 65 inch and think that’s what we’ll go with, but keep having a niggling feeling that a 77 wouldn’t be a bad idea 😂

Room is 18ft x 17ft, so viewing distance is going to be 15ft or so.

I did want to go for one of the Panasonic LZ2000 models as like the idea of having the decent sound built in (yes I know it’s not as good as a separate system, but good enough for us and like the simplicity).

A 77 in that range is silly money though!

Think a 65 will be fine though.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Going to be fine to get a new TV soon as our trusty 42 inch plasma from 2009 is moved into the family room.

Was all set on a 65 inch and think that’s what we’ll go with, but keep having a niggling feeling that a 77 wouldn’t be a bad idea 😂

Room is 18ft x 17ft, so viewing distance is going to be 15ft or so.

I did want to go for one of the Panasonic LZ2000 models as like the idea of having the decent sound built in (yes I know it’s not as good as a separate system, but good enough for us and like the simplicity).

A 77 in that range is silly money though!

Think a 65 will be fine though.
This post was like my mrs trying to decide what she wants to eat

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The colour is starting to go on our LG tv so we're thinking of going for a Sony A80J. We're unsure whether to extend our existing house loan by a grand to get one or to go with something like what Curry's offer, 0% APR for 24 months. What are people's thoughts on this?

My missus really wants a Sony and the A80 is a cracking TV from what I've read. We also want OLED this time too.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've just bought an LG C2 55". I must admit, I'm not exactly blown away by the picture or sound quality.

I've tried setting up the TV using these settings from RTINGS. Are these the best ones to follow?

I've turned off all Energy Saving settings too which has helped with the brightness a tad. From my understanding you'll only be able to achieve good quality OLED when watching content in either 4k or HDR, so in other words if you're watching standard BBC etc in HD 1080p, I'm only going to get SDR and not HDR right?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I've just bought an LG C2 55". I must admit, I'm not exactly blown away by the picture or sound quality.

I've tried setting up the TV using these settings from RTINGS. Are these the best ones to follow?

I've turned off all Energy Saving settings too which has helped with the brightness a tad. From my understanding you'll only be able to achieve good quality OLED when watching content in either 4k or HDR, so in other words if you're watching standard BBC etc in HD 1080p, I'm only going to get SDR and not HDR right?

Can't say I've ever had an issue with ours. Normal tv through the aerial looks shite on it but I only ever watch digital stuff really. I tried the 4K Netflix when watching the last season of Better Call Saul, ended up cancelling it though cos I felt like the TV did a good enough job of upscaling to 4K anyway. 😅

All I've done is turn off the energy saving and play with the picture modes really.

You'll need a proper HDR source for HDR. It comes up in the top corner when it's working. Try a HDR Youtube vid?

Yeah the sound quality isn't great but then is it ever from a tv? I'm running near 20 year old Logitech surround speakers instead...

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Rtings is good for settings I think I took most mine from HDTVTest on YouTube he seems like he knows his s**t so I rather take his advice than figure it out for myself. I have the C1 but here's his C2 settings video. I think I just got an idea of settings from a few sources in the end. Audio wise though get a soundbar is my advice even a cheap one will beat most these modern TV's.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
My 7yr old Samsung KS 9000 kept going green yesterday. Changed the HDMI cable and now its fine 🤦‍♂️
For a minute I thought a bigger LG C2 was on the cards!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My son has just smashed our current TV

What the hell is comparable to this. It was pretty decent at the time.

I'm assuming around £800 now would get me something miles better

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lots of good TVs. If you aren't into the nth degree then you will get a good TV at that price. I can only recommend Samsung qled as I've never had an ounce of bother and my previous Samsung plasma went over 11 years and still sold it for 50 quid. My 65" q80 qled was a bargain a couple of years back now.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'm happy with my Samsung QLED overall

However the 'dirty screen effect' when the picture is panning quickly can be frustrating at times, one of those things that once you notice it it's hard to ignore.

Annoying how this sort of stuff is permissable as well

I don't think OLED suffer with DSE though. I may be wrong.

The new tech goes way over my head (and I don't think my eyes can judge a difference...). If we're looking at a new 43", is there anything wrong with the Panasonics? £300 seems low - the last TV I bought was 5+ years ago was £700. Is that just the way?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
The new tech goes way over my head (and I don't think my eyes can judge a difference...). If we're looking at a new 43", is there anything wrong with the Panasonics? £300 seems low - the last TV I bought was 5+ years ago was £700. Is that just the way?
Presumably a 43" is for one of the toilets in your new place?

It's just the way things are, costs on tech have come down massively if you don't need the latest and greatest, and if you only need a small panel

Reactions: JD
Presumably a 43" is for one of the toilets in your new place?

It's just the way things are, costs on tech have come down massively if you don't need the latest and greatest, and if you only need a small panel
It's for the cupboard I hide in when the mortgage statement comes in.

Presumed so, just amazed it's that "cheap" these days. Pleasantly surprised.