ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The next iPhone/iPad; speculation thread.

What's your plan of action?

• Total voters
  Mini JCW
Very close to pulling the trigger on a 13" rMBP w/128gb SSD, i5 and 16GB RAM....(and education discount of course!)

Bought a space grey one yesterday with the intention of using it for a presentation I have this week. Impressive piece of kit so far. It feels really well built.

Having never owned an iPad or any tablet for that matter is a cover or case essential for these?

Never used my 4 in a case or even Smart Cover, and it's box fresh after a year.

Although the new form factor is perhaps likely to pick up little marks on the chamfered edge. As Gareth says though, if you look after it then it'll probably be fine.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
So I've been using my Air a lot over the weekend, a lot more then I used my 4th gen, the weight and feel makes it much much easier to hold while sat on my fat arse on the sofa. The speed on the thing while browsing the net is seriously impressive as we'll blink and the entire amazon homepage has already loaded.

Agreed, it actually complements the device.

For me, it doesn't. I could count on one hand the amount of times I've ever needed to prop up my iPad. In normal use, folded behind the device, it just ruins the feel. The auto sleep/wake is nice, but then I'd just take it off after waking.

Though of course not everyone uses their device in the same way. For me, naked plus leather sleeve for light travel protection is the way to roll.

RS
Gave in to temptation on Saturday after washing the car, got to the shop at 17:10! Picked up a slate grey, 64gb wifi + 4g with black smart case.

Big improvement over the iPad 2 it has replaced, much faster and nicer to hold, although as has already been mentioned there is more noise when typing from the thinner glass.

The smart case is very soft to hold, but the viewing/typing angles are a bit useless compared to the belkin case I had for the previous one.

Massive improvement over the old style. Super light, super thin, super fast. Feels like it's from a different era of technology IMO.

Yeah it's really in a different league to all other full sized iPads. Pretty funny when you think that there are people out there moaning that it's not a big enough upgrade.

Mini JCW
My dad's trying to decide between an Ipad Mini Retina and Ipad Air for use when at college (lecturer and external verifier), I think the Air will be more useable when using the keyboard and screen real estate - what do you guys think?

Can't compare models yet due to the rMini not yet being released.

My dad's trying to decide between an Ipad Mini Retina and Ipad Air for use when at college (lecturer and external verifier), I think the Air will be more useable when using the keyboard and screen real estate - what do you guys think?

Can't compare models yet due to the rMini not yet being released.

I don't see any reason now to choose the Mini over the Air unless size really is a major factor. And price of course.

172, Tiguan
I'm still using both. Whatever one is nearest I pick up. I've only got a headrest mount for the 3 though, so that'll have to stay.

AK

M240i
Vodafone have got the iPad mini with retina display on their website.

iPad mini with Retina display
iPad mini has a stunning 7.9-inch Retina display with over 3.1 million pixels. It also comes with the A7 chip with 64-bit architecture, ultra-fast wireless, iSight and FaceTime HD cameras, powerful apps and up to 10 hours of battery life. Yet it still fits easily in one hand.

Mini JCW
I don't see any reason now to choose the Mini over the Air unless size really is a major factor. And price of course.

Not really a massive difference between price.

Cheers guys. Price is a bit of an issue but i'll be buying it him for Christmas either way. It'll only be the 16gb as he can then transfer any documents over to his MPB.

I think the Air is the one to go for tbf, identical stats but far more screen real estate on the Air.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Yeah it's really in a different league to all other full sized iPads. Pretty funny when you think that there are people out there moaning that it's not a big enough upgrade.

Unless you actually hold one and use one for a few hour, I don't think you can fully appreciate the changes. Its the most impressive change since Retina came along, the combination of speed and lightness are simply amazing. I picked up my 4th Gen Sunday night to package up, felt like I'd just picked up a laptop.

AK

M240i
Will see if they've got one in Dubai airport tomorrow and have a feel, might change my mind from a Mini.

Will see if they've got one in Dubai airport tomorrow and have a feel, might change my mind from a Mini.

I would. I've used a mini extensively and like it a lot. The only downside being the non-retina display. Obviously soon to be fixed. But having now used the Air for most of the day, I would say it feels like a bigger and better mini. Difficult to put into words. It feels really small and light, whilst still having a nice large display, whereas the mini just feels small and light, whilst having a display that feels pretty small.

Having said that, if you like the screen size of the mini, then you can't go wrong with the Retina version. It'll also have a higher PPI count than the Air, but let's face it, the 9.7" Retina is hardly lacking in clarity. My summary, and of course it's only personal opinion, is that you should get the Air unless you absolutely must have the smaller screen. But even if you feel that way, you should try the Air. It's the tardis of iPads, and feels like it should cost a million dollars.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Just to follow up what I said about the screen making a noise when used due to the glass being thinner, it woke my Mrs up last night LOL. I couldn't sleep so did the usual iPad in bed, which I've done for years with my iPad.

Bloody hell.

It's a small percentage noisier to type on. Not enough to wake anyone up. Not unless you have a bunch of bananas for fingers. Nonsense.

Coincidence or user error IMO.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
It's a small percentage noisier to type on. Not enough to wake anyone up. Not unless you have a bunch of bananas for fingers. Nonsense.

Coincidence or user error IMO.

It's definitely a fair bit louder. If you search online there's a lot of reports on in. You'll probably notice it on your first use at night without any other noise. Through the day with background noise it's not really noticeable.

it doesn't bother me though. I found it funny when I got complained at for typing LOL.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Finally got mine after waiting all day for it to arrive, WOW what a piece of kit, definite step up from iPad 2. The weight (or lack of) is sublime.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I can get an iPad Air 32GB (WIFI only) for £38.33 a month for 12 months (£460 total).

Worth it?

I already have an iPad 3rd Gen.