ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The use of the word ''Detailing''.....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There are some massive detailing snobs on here.
What exactly is meant by that? I've seen it mentioned a few times.

Is it that we look down on people who use crap products or don't help people who don't listen?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I like to clean cars but I'm no detailer.

I haven't paid much attention to this section for about a year and now I'm lost in most of the threads with all the new names and products that have come on the scene.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I like to clean cars but I'm no detailer.

I haven't paid much attention to this section for about a year and now I'm lost in most of the threads with all the new names and products that have come on the scene.
There are no new products that are on the scene mate.

Most have been around since I started washing my car with bath soap!

What exactly is meant by that? I've seen it mentioned a few times.

Is it that we look down on people who use crap products or don't help people who don't listen?

Look at the thread you linked too..

Just because he hasn't listed all the products he used, taken a photo of a jar on the roof on a tea towel or got an light gun and a SLR to try and capture a swirl, doesn't mean he hasn't detailed.

His car was dirty. He then spent hours cleaning it with different processes. Then his car was clean.

Wiki said:
Auto detailing (UK: Car valeting), is the performance of an extremely thorough cleaning, polishing and waxing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail.

I'd say that's exactly what he's done. It's what I did last week. I'm not a detailer far from it. But there's no official qualification. You or JD don't come round and make sure I use the appropriate sized pad.

There's no doubt that you know your stuff and you do help a lot of people out. But just because you take 499843902 pictures of an arch and the pot of spunk on your roof, doesn't make you the king xx

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Look at the thread you linked too..

Just because he hasn't listed all the products he used, taken a photo of a jar on the roof on a tea towel or got an light gun and a SLR to try and capture a swirl, doesn't mean he hasn't detailed.

His car was dirty. He then spent hours cleaning it with different processes. Then his car was clean.

I'd say that's exactly what he's done. It's what I did last week. I'm not a detailer far from it. But there's no official qualification. You or JD don't come round and make sure I use the appropriate sized pad.

There's no doubt that you know your stuff and you do help a lot of people out. But just because you take 499843902 pictures of an arch and the pot of spunk on your roof, doesn't make you the king xx
I did have a lol at some of that! :eek: Hiding hate with Kisses!

Anyway on with the retort..

This word thorough is the same as where the word came from in the first place "detail" and the attention to detail put into the cleaning, that what turns cleaning into detailing, imo and many other respected more experienced peoples opinion on DW and the like.

Again I have said it many many times this is a hobby to me, JD even took it more serious than I do. He was doing it almost every weekend for people, that takes the fun out it for me. I just enjoy the whole process and spend many hours doing it but I don't clean my car for 8 hours every weekend. You've probably washed your car more times this year than I have.

The above example was used only because he said he detailed his car, all I can see is he cleaned it. Surely you understand where i'm coming from? There was no "detail".

No one made me the judge and jury on here or the detailing section it's just all my opinion at the end of the day. I try not to be snobby and I hope I don't come across like that.
I just try to help where I can. Sometimes people are trying to take a big jump from washing up liquid to a rotary and it does get frustrating but we still try to help.

You do mention qualification, of course there is none but surely diluting the word detailing is not a good thing for people who pride themsleves on actually detailing like JD was doing. Spending 16 hours on some VAG paint, exhaust tips, engine bays.

Daniel is the last person i'd expect to make a thread like this but it shows that people are using it as a buzzword when in some cases they have only really cleaned the car like people have been doing for years.

Lol. Yeah, chucking a bucket of water at your car isn't detailing it. But it's a buzzword like you say, so people jump on it.

Sheep everywhere.

It's not hate, it's just my opinion. I know how needy you get so I added kisses to stop your tears.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
:(

Deeg never text me back this morning after making fun of my "delmonte" outfit.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
what is the definition of a detail?
Car cleaning OCD style.

It' the details of the clean that make it detailing, exhausts, wheels, badges. No old SRP on trims, little things like that imo make detailing what it is.

It the process involved. If I washed my car then polished it and that was it i'd just say I cleaned and polished my car.

I only put detail in the title of my thread if I have actually detailed the car....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ing-Overhaul-Part-1!-*FRP-Content*&highlight=

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...r-Protection-Detail!-*FRP-Content!&highlight=

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...Content*-Long-Detailing-Read!!!***&highlight=

Listerine & Poledo
I detailed my car the other day at the Texaco Jet wash

Then it got dirty when I drove off.

I think its about being a perfectionist in a way, when i do a job i like to do it properly and it has to be perfect otherwise its not worth doing. Of course thats my opinion.

So in releation to my opinion the people that put detail or detailing and have a dirty car, that is a clean. I am no detailer by the way