ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thermostat change - Anything to be aware of?

1.2 16v
Hi,

I'm going to be Changing my thermostat sometime this week and waiting for the replacement to arrive, ordered the thermostat tonight for £11, not bad! Few months ago I found it to be slowly leaking onto the gearbox I think it is, along with very little heating has lead me to brlieve it is totally shot, obviously not being able to be circulated properly with the pressue loss going through it.

is there anything major I should be aware of that could be wrong/go wrong or be careful of/keep an eye out for?

Really looking forward to getting this done, been without heating for well over a year and I cant be without it anyyl longer nw that its getting colder!

Cheers in advance!

330i. E30 Touring.
Air-locking the system. There should be a bleed nipple that should be opened and coolant coming out.

Quickest way of bleeding is to remove the bleed screw on the housing, then fill up coolant until it's coming out of the screw.

Is possible to just full it up, run until the thermostat opens then chuck some more in though.

1.2 16v
Thanks for the heads up!!

What would you suggest I do to clean out any current coolant stuck inside once ive taken it apart? as ive not got a hose or anything (from what ive been told is to blast it through the radiator and cylinder where the termostat was, but to my knowledge this could be a bit detrimental to the health of the engine so im a bit reluctant to doing this. Got some coolant mix coming with my thermostat so will have everything ready to go on the day!

Yussss. Excited!

1.2 16v
Changed my thermo yesterday which fixed the nnedle only rising half way then dropping to a quarter. Now ita great.

Though I still cant get any hot air through the blowers. Ive checked what I think is the two heater matric pipes (the two that lead into the cab on the passenger side) And one of them is cold. The one thats cold is the one with the screw bleed nipple on.

Could tgis just be air in the system?

330i. E30 Touring.
Changed my thermo yesterday which fixed the nnedle only rising half way then dropping to a quarter. Now ita great.

Though I still cant get any hot air through the blowers. Ive checked what I think is the two heater matric pipes (the two that lead into the cab on the passenger side) And one of them is cold. The one thats cold is the one with the screw bleed nipple on.

Could tgis just be air in the system?

Yep, not bled properly.

Do another bleed. While doing it, set the heater to hot on the highest setting and squeeze the matrix pipes by hand a couple of times. Won't take long before it fixes it.

1.2 16v
Thanks for the reply budgie. Unfortunately this hasnt fixed it. Just cant seem to get the water up the pipe which is attached to the small pipe (the one that is doubled up with the overflow pipe) a small amount of water is just shooting out of the overflow pipe into the expansion tank.

Might just empty the system and try again tbh, must be stuck somewhere!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
are you getting any water out the bleed screw? have you checked the bleed screw hole is not blocked?