ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This thing is too loud...

Finally bought a Clio (they'll be a thread to follow at some point) but it's got a custom exhaust system on it....and bloody hell isn't it loud!!

I've got to admit it sounds amazing, but I know it's just going to attract unwanted attention!

So looked underneath and this is what we have :

image.jpg

Yep that's right, a straight through all the way through! No wonder it sounds loud

I've got the receipt here which going off I'm guessing the diameter for the majority is 2.25" (57mm) :
image.jpg

So basically I'm wondering what I do next to make it quieter? Still want something that sounds good, just not quite as loud

Or am I better off selling this and getting a different one?

Here's a couple more photos of the system if it makes a difference:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Many Thanks

James

Such a shame, as such it has such a nice grumble at idle, then a low grunt at lower revs, and then gets more raspy towards the top end, but doesn't sound stupidly raspy

Last edited by a moderator:
Either get a silencer, get ear plugs or sell it

I don't mind the noise myself, in fact I quite like it

Somehow I don't think the Police will like it quite as much though....

What's the worst that could happen if they stopped me? I'm guessing just a fine and change it within so many days or something?

Get it adapted to run with an oe cat

I'll look into that, Can you run a secondhand cat fine?

Worst thing I guess they will do you for is noise pollution and high enmissions

I'm just looking at the emissions of the last MOT which was done with this exhaust :

CO : 0.01% (Limit is <3.5%)
HC: 7PPM (Limit is <1200PPM)

I have a feeling these results aren't from the Clio....haha

Interestingly though they seemed to pick up a few things on advisory's (which all work was then done) so unsure if it was a dodgy MOT as such

Yes, as long as it's intact

Perfect, I'll start looking!

I assume the exhaust system on there now is using the standard exhaust mountings?

Many Thanks

2014 Clio 200t edc
Why would you have an exhaust made that couldn't easily have a cat put back in, bearing in mind you have to have one for an mot (yes I know there are 'those' mot stations but what if something changes?)

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
It's easy to cut in a silencer from anywhere...

It's pretty worthless, who wants an exhaust like that, no good for track, your neighbour with rub sh1t under your door handles, the police will fine you.. Pointless.

Mod it, or sell it to some pea-nis and get something that doesn't scream pedo..

have they done away with one of the rear exhaust hangers? i'm guessing those studs sticking out the boot floor is where it used to be.

if you just buy a cat and get some pipe welded onto the end of it and cut off the olive joint then it will just fit straight onto that system, i did the same with my clio when it had the cat on to get rid off the rubbish olive joint.

have they done away with one of the rear exhaust hangers? i'm guessing those studs sticking out the boot floor is where it used to be.

if you just buy a cat and get some pipe welded onto the end of it and cut off the olive joint then it will just fit straight onto that system, i did the same with my clio when it had the cat on to get rid off the rubbish olive joint.
If I'm honest, I have no idea - I don't know what a standard clio 182 setup is like, so I'm not sure what should be where

Yes I know someone who is pretty good with welding, so might get him on the case!

Yeh just a 1.4 Corsa Exlusiv, been a great first car but after almost a couple of years of driving it, it's time to get something a bit quicker
image.jpg

I'd like to think it is tastefully modified, not your typical corsa which is generally slammed and a loud exhaust haha

Worst of this is that I can't drive the Clio until the end of July due to insurance...it's gonna be a long wait!!

So I'm stuck with just driving it around the farm for now, but the power difference is amazing...even if it's only at low speeds!

2014 Clio 200t edc
I agree with N4th4n, it sounds alright to me. I'm guessing that the farm buildings aren't helping show the sound properly either. I would be in no rush to change it, if you do get stopped, then just get a silencer or cat out in.

172cup
I'm just looking at the emissions of the last MOT which was done with this exhaust :

CO : 0.01% (Limit is <3.5%)
HC: 7PPM (Limit is <1200PPM)

I have a feeling these results aren't from the Clio....haha

Interestingly though they seemed to pick up a few things on advisory's (which all work was then done) so unsure if it was a dodgy MOT as such

Perfect, I'll start looking!

I assume the exhaust system on there now is using the standard exhaust mountings?

Many Thanks

Defiantly a dodgy mot, My 172 with a decat and no mid boxes is 7X over the limit. The results you posted are from something like a 1.0 Ecotec KA or similar. Not that its a problem... ;)

Clio 182
My car was the same when I bought it. Fortunately I had the OEM system to the back box. Putting the mid silencer and the cat back in makes a big difference. The back box still sounds better than OEM.

If you have a custom air filter that makes a big difference too. However the Cat makes the biggest change to the volume.

sunflower 172
Doesn't sound to loud to me. I have around the same setup as you and I've driven like that for over a year now, without any trouble. Just take it easy in the villages. Mine is pretty quiet at 2k rpm.
The cops here don't really chase after modified cars really, as long as you don't drive like an idiot past them, so that helps too^^

Here's is a picture of my "setup"
9bI6MNE.jpg

It was a friday evening job from the previous owner, with a few old pipes, but it does the job and doesn't blow

Here's how it sounds:

In the video it sounds much raspier than it actually is.