ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This Topic again, 172 or a 182.

Be interesting to know what percentage of owners have only actually bought a Clio with the intention of using it on track.

Might be why the 172 cup is priced higher?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Be interesting to know what percentage of owners have only actually bought a Clio with the intention of using it on track.

Might be why the 172 cup is priced higher?

I think its just a case of people really falling for the marketting TBH.

Renault knew that the 172 was massively overpriced compared to the civic etc, and they needed to slash the price massively, but they didnt want to be seen to be doing a "cheap" version, so they put a bigger spoiler and a splitter and some nice wheels on so at first glance it looks like an upgrade, then binned the aircon and cruise and leather etc to still make it a poverty spec, label it as a basis for a motorsport car (even though only a tiny percentage of them got used for that) et voila you have something people perceive as worth more, when its actually worth less, genius stuff from the marketing department and the effect still lingers today.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Really? How do you work that out? I could've sworn it was the cheapest in the class at the time...:S

Clio when the civic came out was 16 grand.
Retail on the type R was nearer to 17, but there were loads of deals on that had them down around 15, the clio needed to be quite a bit cheaper than the honda to look like a sensible option (the civic is more car in most peoples eyes so the clio didnt just need to match the price it needed to be well under it) the cup allowed renault to get the clio under 13K which was enough to be a real bargain for the performance.

172 rag
The chaps in Dieppe didn t have in mind track use for the cup/rag or had in mind the UK market at all. The price reduction was a very beneficial side effect and obviously renault uk capitalised on that.
Think about the 106, 306 rallye. You beleive that the same lack of equipment was marketing?
The rally scene in Europe was quite different in the early 2000 and even more before that. There were no r1,r2 etc categories.
GrN was the marketing tool that they needed at that time..

For everyday use there is no real benefit for having a cup/ragnotti over a FF I think the opposite.
Some people though prefer it plain. Thats all

182 Trophy
wow I made a chavy choice 182. I never tried a trophy bought mine as a hill climb car. Doing a bit of sorting ready for the season but mainly polish cam-belt tyres etc. I did try a 170 couldn't really tell the difference in real time driving, but they are just a bit older that's all. what was the last 170 05 plate?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Clio when the civic came out was 16 grand.
Retail on the type R was nearer to 17, but there were loads of deals on that had them down around 15, the clio needed to be quite a bit cheaper than the honda to look like a sensible option (the civic is more car in most peoples eyes so the clio didnt just need to match the price it needed to be well under it) the cup allowed renault to get the clio under 13K which was enough to be a real bargain for the performance.

If you say so...

Clio 197
I had a 172 cup before my current 182. I have always liked the twin exhaust on the 182 but the interior is a much nicer place to be (i am comparing this to the 172 cup) - auto wipers and lights are excellent (an interior comparison between 182-172 would be much harder)

Overall for me it would be the 182.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You can look the figures up on the heritage site if you think I have made an error mate :)

Cup was a LOT cheaper than the standard car!

Yeah but you're forgetting the discounts they did! Iirc the invoice I had for my 172 when it was purchased was around 13k and there were plenty of others sold cheaper than book price. I'll no doubt await your essay in reply...

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Especially a cup ;) haha

Tell me about it ;)

010_zps992acd6e.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah but you're forgetting the discounts they did! Iirc the invoice I had for my 172 when it was purchased was around 13k and there were plenty of others sold cheaper than book price. I'll no doubt await your essay in reply...
im sure you are right mate, like I said they were overpriced and to sell them Renault needed them cheaper, the cup was one way to sell cheap, but dealers did give discounts too, just not as supported by Renault, with the cup the car was cheaper to the dealer so they could sell at 13k and still make a great margin, but to sell a full fat at that would have meant a smaller margin.

I bet some cups sold as low as in the 11s new too.

172 Cup, mk1 fiesta
I looked at all of them and bought a cup as I loved the colour, it was down to this or a black one.

I didn't want the air con or the abs as it was just something else to break and also slighter cheaper to maintain (cambelt) and I hope more reliable.

Plus yes the wheels sold me to it and I was only going to rip all the interior out anyway.

I have a golf tdi for comfort and long distance stuff and catch the train/cycle to work most of the time, once ever 3 weeks the 80 mile round trip is almost bearable!.

Get what ever drives the best....the difference between the 4 I looked at was pretty drastic

172 Cup
Its french, the more gadgets and more extras you have the more your car will rattle!

E46 M3 CSL
OP, if you are still looking for a car I have a nice 182 cup for sale in Racing Blue. My parents live in Camberley and I'm down that way most weekends if you want to check it out?

Westfield, 182, 200
Had a 200, then a 182, then 197 and currently a 200 cup!
My lad is buying the cup off me in a couple of weeks so i've decided to go back to a 1#2 as i'm only doing 50 miles a week and have to park all day on a tesco car park.

I like the flame red and monaco blue 172 plus having a spare wheel well, only thing that concerns me is the seem to have weak CV joints and they throw the spline out of the diff when a circlip fails?.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Had a 200, then a 182, then 197 and currently a 200 cup!
My lad is buying the cup off me in a couple of weeks so i've decided to go back to a 1#2 as i'm only doing 50 miles a week and have to park all day on a tesco car park.

I like the flame red and monaco blue 172 plus having a spare wheel well, only thing that concerns me is the seem to have weak CV joints and they throw the spline out of the diff when a circlip fails?.

I wouldnt call the CV's weak, the only reason they normally fail is people damage the gaitors then dont repair them.

And the diff circlip popping isnt common like on the old 1.8 16v either, Ive never had any of our 4 172/182 do that.

Westfield, 182, 200
I wouldnt call the CV's weak, the only reason they normally fail is people damage the gaitors then dont repair them.

And the diff circlip popping isnt common like on the old 1.8 16v either, Ive never had any of our 4 172/182 do that.

Cheers, put my mind at rest over that one!

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Bad example but they are carbon fibre replacements in this image:

IMG_3077.jpg

Traders on here sell replacements. Renault ones are about £20 so expensive for two stickers.