ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This Topic again, 172 or a 182.

Ford Focus ST 2007
Hey All.

I have had my 1.2 Clio since 2011, My first car and still have it now. I drive 60 Miles a day overall too and from work and around the end of the year I want to treat myself to a Clio Sport! Well, I was looking at the Mk5 Golf but I would be paying around £7000 and they are not as quick really.

I want to know from you guys, What is better really? 172 I like because it doesnt look sporty but its fast, and the 182 looks sporty and is fast too. What is better in your guys opinions? I am 19 and have £2000 for insurance (Hopefully its around £1000) with just under 3 years no claims.

Will be looking to spend up to £4000 for a decent one.

Thanks

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
What will be the main purpose of the car other than the obvious. I.E. any track etc?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
172 doesn't look sporty but 182 does?

They're too similar to worry about focusing on a certain variant IMO. Just look for the best example near you, I.e recent cambelt change, refreshed suspension and good tyres.

Ford Focus ST 2007
I will mainly use it for a work commute Monday to friday then for fun at weekends. Will look to maybe buy some new coilovers and make sure I find one with service histroy.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Never really understood the appeal of Trophy's (no disrespect).

You could get a nice tidy well looked after 182 with change for your mods with that money.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you have a colour preference?

Only reason I can think of for putting up with the horrific "wheelbarrow spec" exhaust on a 182 is to get it in a better colour than 172 come in or so its newer and hence potentially in better condition.

Performance wise, there is nothing you would notice between them IMHO

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If its a daily drive also worth thinking about extras climate control etc if that's something you want.

Daily drive. 182 FF for sure.

Trophy is a bit special but for me is not worth the extra money.

172 cup for a track toy.

Phase 1 for a track toy if on a budget because they can be had for peanuts.

I love the 182 twin exhausts!!! Maybe I'm a chav lol

Got to agree, I prefer the twin exhaust but that's the whole point of personal preference, although Chip does seem to make his opinion on the 182 exhaust well known. Never heard someone complain about it so much :rasp:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I love the chav exhaust as well, look brilliant

and chip you can sod right off, you own a nova ;)

I love the chav exhaust as well, look brilliant

and chip you can sod right off, you own a nova ;)

Ooossshh

best watch out or youz will get run over by mr vauxhall nova ;)

I like the 182 exhaust too. Looks better than some of the 172 where it passes under the rear bumper :(

As said that budget i would look for a trophy.

FF Racing Blue 182
That's a reasonable amount of cash for a decent Clio mate anyway as said the 182 has better colours and there is nothing between them

How do you not buy a flamer and put 182 anthracite wheels on and then you get a bit of both and it will look great

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Got to agree, I prefer the twin exhaust but that's the whole point of personal preference, although Chip does seem to make his opinion on the 182 exhaust well known. Never heard someone complain about it so much :rasp:

It just winds me up so much that they lost the VERY useful spare wheel well, to replace it with a fecking chavvy exhaust, such a terrible "upgrade" :(

HATE ours, but love the colour so had no option really .

I personally love the look of the 182 alloys, especially in anthracite with the cup pack ... and yep the dual exhaust may not have been designed too brilliantly but I prefer it to the look of the 172. Driving experience isn't hugely different between the two models, but the 182 just has something about it.

I've owned both, but for some reason my 182 is my favorite by far.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
lol!

I've owned phase 1 172 and 182FF and they both appealed to me, the 'normal' 172 phase 2 doesn't appeal in anyway to me at all for some reason, probably a colour thing as I have no interest in black or silver 182's either really.

the phase 1's just look better in any colour and mk1's look better than the rest of them put together

all imho of course ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lol!

I've owned phase 1 172 and 182FF and they both appealed to me, the 'normal' 172 phase 2 doesn't appeal in anyway to me at all for some reason, probably a colour thing as I have no interest in black or silver 182's either really.

the phase 1's just look better in any colour and mk1's look better than the rest of them put together

all imho of course ;)

Currently we have:
Mk1
Ph1 172
Ph2 172
Ph2 182

And looks wise I think at the moment I most prefer the Ph1, but I keep changing my mind, they each look nice in their own way, I do love the colour of the RB, if I was the sort to waste money on paint (im not, sooner spend it on go than show TBH) I reckon a RB Ph1 would be on the cards for me, seen pics of one on here and it looked epic.

RB Clio 182
Does look good

542735_4502458492958_1601685575_n.jpg

172 cup turbo
Hey All.

I have had my 1.2 Clio since 2011, My first car and still have it now. I drive 60 Miles a day overall too and from work and around the end of the year I want to treat myself to a Clio Sport! Well, I was looking at the Mk5 Golf but I would be paying around £7000 and they are not as quick really.

I want to know from you guys, What is better really? 172 I like because it doesnt look sporty but its fast, and the 182 looks sporty and is fast too. What is better in your guys opinions? I am 19 and have £2000 for insurance (Hopefully its around £1000) with just under 3 years no claims.

Will be looking to spend up to £4000 for a decent one.

Thanks

if youve got 4k. buy a decent 172 cup. then send it off to andyrg on here and get a turbo!! will cost around the 4k all in all. maybe a tad more :) best money ive ever spent tbh

172 Cup
It's totally your choice, I'm with Chip on the 182 exhaust mind.. Just doesn't look right! I much prefer the neater and far more understated back end of the 172's!

However I do love the colour of some 182's LY, RB etc etc.. So meh entirely up to you!

172 rag
You dont need to spend all your budget on the purchase of the car. Buy the one that had grown old gracefully. Replace all bushes, engine mounts, dampers etc and ENJOY IT. I would opt for a 172 with cup turinis.
Just my 2c

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I have a 182 FF - second time around, I think I'd probably chose a 172 Cup, but that's mostly down to suspension choices, weight, lack of ABS (I want a bias valve for autotests!) etc. etc.

For an ever day car, however, a 182FF every time.

With a 300 mile a week commute I'd be looking at a Golf Tdi, personally.

I commute 250 miles a week in mine, even with a decat'd yozza. Don't have any problems, don't really think the 1*2s are bad on fuel.
If it is an everyday commuting car is go for a 182ff if you wanted to be modifying it in particular suspension is go for a 172.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
In this order for me..
Ph1 172 - Drive, rawness and looks
Ph2 182FF - Colours and looks. (twin exhaust and everything)
Ph2 172 Cup - Not owned one so I can only assume ph1 is the better drive due to cable throttle and the 182s have the better colours.
Ph2 172 - Just do nothing for me at all tbh.

Bought my first Renault last month, a 172. The beauty of this car over the 182 is that from behind and the side most think it is just a Clio. I have embarrassed a number of drivers by being faster off the lights and being able to overtake alot quicker than they expect.

Passat
In this order for me..
Ph1 172 - Drive, rawness and looks
Ph2 182FF - Colours and looks. (twin exhaust and everything)
Ph2 172 Cup - Not owned one so I can only assume ph1 is the better drive due to cable throttle and the 182s have the better colours.
Ph2 172 - Just do nothing for me at all tbh.

Haha! The Ph2 172's do nothing for you?! They're all the same car!

Personal preference is one thing...but 'do nothing for me' ???

He probably just means he sees no point in having one. As I can understand.

If I wanted to sacrifice the better looks of the 182 (my opinion) and get a 172, it would have to be a cup or a phase 1.

They just don't appeal to me what so ever. I think the only Ph2 172 I've seen that I like is Cubs flamer. Excluding the race cars obviously :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Be a boring world if we all wanted the same thing.

Personally I cant imagine why anyone would buy a cup, they are generally more expensive now, but thats for a car that cost a few grand LESS new because its missing half the good bits that make the 172 such an epic all rounder in the first place.

I like the wheels, but they are easily fitted to a 182 or normal 172.

For a track car the cup makes sense though, no aircon is a useful weight saving if you are going racing etc, although I must confess I'd much sooner do ring trips etc with aircon than with a few kg weight saving, so id only do it with a cup for actual competitive racing not trackdays but thats probably just me showing my age.