ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thought I'd share....

Renault Clio 172
On to the PMS close gear stick. Nice bit of kit, although difficult to fit. Took about 2 hours to get it spot on!

de3e040dfad52c0bcd7fb4994efc9dc9_zps00f88536.jpg

236805611e2dee1d5003b3252e62510a_zpsd064bd71.jpg

423d6eaf431e3be9c3ff316a35823890_zps06db5984.jpg

Renault Clio 172
We then fit the windows and finished off the graphics. I'll save them pics for a bit later!

We got the car on the scales, and it looks like it's been off the pies! Weighing in at 893kg!

Amazing the difference in weight! Someone posted on here already, how to work out the power difference the 222kg loss will make to the power, I'd be very grateful.

87edc7fa55f41dd220bb4c440630b80f_zpsa223b8c9.jpg

I'd also be interested in opinions on the corner weights. We changed a pit around, but only shuttle tweets. It was always going to weigh more on the drivers corner, due to the extra kit on that side, but we didn't think the difference really made any difference. The car handles very well already!

Forgot to take pics of the corner numbers, but without me in, the back was exact, but the front corners had 26kg difference.

Renault Clio 172
Anyway, a couple of shots of what it looks like now!

2c1ca93d4df81c92421d54d058bebda9_zpsdf70a730.jpg

77f5fae9a0a16222f7be0f360bc4a532_zps70060786.jpg

The front door still need a bit of alignment.

ade51ea5fb67321ea5ee8e0ffd63c1b3_zps10dbb340.jpg

I'm well chuffed!

Renault Clio 172
Finally for today, as we were shattered, we started on the dash. From the pictures, we still obviously have the green protective take, but we are making it out of Ali. The wires will all took up nicely behind, the original clock will be getting fitted to the left of the wheel. Fuse box and diagnostic will also fitted to the front, for easy access.

All the rest of the switches and panels, will be fitted down a centre console, still to make. The dash will also have a selection of other dials, but not until we are in to the winter projects. There's a gear changing light panel to fit directly behind the wheel, as that's the main thing I struggle with, changing at the right time!

ade51ea5fb67321ea5ee8e0ffd63c1b3_zps10dbb340.jpg

Renault Clio 172
We did a few little bits too. Mainly for me to learn the trade. Bled the brakes, did a full nut and bolt check for racing. Created jobs lists for between races, to ensure the car is correct and safe!

We also gave the inside a quick flick over with Matt black paint, to smarten it up!

Still loads to do before setting off for Snetterton on Friday morning!

Remap and finish tiding up wires
Finish dash
New R888 (as the weather is looking like it'll be good)
Fit rear Lexon rear window, when it comes on Wednesday
Get the fire Extinguisher serviced

Best part of a full day left, but main one is electrics and remap, as it's got a bit of a misfire. We presume it's from the set up of the matched inlets.

Lots of work gone into this over a short time, I was enjoying reading those updates....2015 season will be really exciting with more cars on the French grid.

In regards to the rear camber shims, I didn't see, but are you running rear spacers? if not, due to the amount of camber you are running you may find the tyres rub on the springs, I can see in the pic that the straps that are being used to protect them are already melted, prob due to rubbing. Quick solution would be to fit 10mm spacers, either bolt on or bolt behind the hub type.

Graphic scheme is looking good, good to see you got some sponsors too what colour are you doing the brake ducts?

Renault Clio 172
Yes, running 10mm spacers on the rear. We have 16mm at the front. Not sure if you should run the same at front and back?

He sponsor is me! Those 3 logos are my companies! Unfortunately, I can't find anyone to pay for my indulgence!

The ducts are white to match the rest. I'm also getting the wheels powder coated white, but not until after the weekend.

Yes Tony, very busy:)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good mate, assume you're having the suspension geometry all set up when it gets corner weighted? If you didn't know, just fitting the rear shims won't nessecarilly give you the camber/toe you're looking for as it all depends how straight your beam is among other things, a '2 degree' shim for example will not give you an extra 2 degrees camber. Best bet is to have a big selection of all size shims, more of the smaller ones to get the geo where you want it while having it setup.
Russ

Whilst stripping it all down, primed and painted these bits. No idea what you call them!

a0dac013cd1e76272a58eda8ed8d4ece_zpsd0739efb.jpg

I've also fitted some Brembo vented disks around

62a575b6c0a423579585fe91d9905d66_zps855d5e17.jpg

Car is looking awesome Andrew :) Just a few bits I would say and I’m only saying them as dont want you to have issues further down the line. Sorry if you’ve already thought of them.

In the top picture I’ve quoted you haven’t accidentally caught the fuel tank under where you’ve drilled have you? Its pretty close under there.

2nd picture I can’t see if you’ve masked it but its best not to paint the surfaces that mate upto each other as when you are running the paint can compress which then loosens the bolts holding everything together. Its especially common with the back of powder coated wheels

3rd picture Do the wheels still locate on the centre bore or are the spacers too thick if so in future you might want to pop them onto Hubcentric spacers :)

Renault Clio 172
Hi James, thanks for your comments. We are still learning, so will take all advice gratefully.

Pic One, We didn't self tap it, so I'm pretty sure it's okay. I didn't actually do it myself though, so will make sure.
Pic 2, No, we didn't mask it, but did clean the wet paint off that part before it dried. We also put some copper grease on both sides of the shim before we put it all back together, to ensure it didn't rust.
Pic 3. I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure they just locate off the studs? I've never heard of Hubcentric spacers.
When you getting to Snett? We are testing in the afternoon.
Cheers

Cool sounds good :)

I’ll show you the different spacers I have at the weekend and show you the difference

We are heading over Thursday night I think might just test in the morning or might do the full day not sure yet!

Renault Clio 172
Not driving! mechanicing :)

I have no idea what the car will feel like. Current problem is misfiring, and power loss, after we fitted the matched manifold. Hoping the remap tomorrow sorts all this, otherwise I'll be pushing the car around!

Mmm not sure a remap will sort that sounds more like an issue probably an air leak on the joins in the manifold? Or ignition leads squashed when you’ve swapped the manifolds over?

Renault Clio 172
Checked the fuel tank, and that's fine. it did make me worry though, as fuel starvation would have been an answer to the misfire. Checked all the fuel pipes and they are fine. It starts perfect, after about 1 minute, it starts coughing and farting, then after about another minute, it smartens up again. Then, while moving, it feels like it's run out of fuel, or none is getting through.

Renault Clio 172
If I'm honest Sonny, I don't think I'd know what if feels like running on 3 cylinders. It is intermittent, rather than just a constant lack of power, which is what i'd imaging 3 cylinders to feel like.

Renault Clio 172
Misfire sorted, we think. Trapped ignition cable! Not driven yet, as on stands, but iddling perfectly. Does seem to have a small flat spot though, when you press accelerate quick, rather than gradually.

Renault Clio 172
Tony, I had to google that first, to make sure it wasn't a 'long stand' question!

But yes, we are still running a Fly By Wire Throttle. Why do you ask?

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
Slam your foot on the accelerator and there does seem to be a few ms flat spot before it revs up, assume its the same with all of the clios on fbw, maybe a failsafe the ecu does detecting the correct position of the pedal and not the edu reading a wire short for example?

Renault Clio 172
He Deejuk. The only thing is, that it wasn't there before we fit the matched inlet. It was sharp and instant.

Renault Clio 172
Took the petrol tank out, to double check, and all was fine. Car is driving without any misfires or lag, so happy now. Think it must have been the trapped lead.

Today, the remap is being done, the rear window is being fitted, hopefully the front air intakes and the dash being finished off. Going to spray the dash black for this weekend, then planning on flocking it over the winter.

It's amazing the pressure you feel to get everything done, when there is a deadline!

Renault Clio 172
Couple more bits done today....

Rear Window fitted. Very good service off Plastics 4 Glass. I gave them my deadline, and they met it without trouble.

F1952ECC-CAF9-4DDB-B36A-5D5415EB2CC0_zpsrvng7p2l.gif

Also got this little beauty fitted to the front bumper, thanks to Chris at CM Composites.

5A55DFD3-6249-4FA6-B66A-D875E65B1788_zpswx8jfpvn.gif

D797EF64-6173-4A04-BEFB-9F3ABE74AF16_zpsauracdc7.gif

After we fit it, we trimmed it down a bit at the sides, purely for aesthetics.

D8D9F6B1-3F39-4534-A58C-38FE7EDC46F0_zpskbl4lypq.gif

Also had the fire extinguisher serviced. Moved one of the harness points from the lap belt, further back, as it was pulled up at scrutiniring.

Still to do.
Finish the dash. This has had to wait, to make it easy for the electrician to finish his work off (he's not the fastest!)
Cut air vents in the windows
Refit the roll cage

All getting done tomorrow, hopefully before we set off:)

Renault Clio 172
Mmm, didn't know there were any regs on it.....

Can't find anything in the book that specifies what you can or can't do.

clio cup
Its in section J of the blue book Andrew,
Basically if you drew a horizontal line down from the most forward part of your bumper the splitter must not protrude further than 10cm
Same with the side,
Quote from the book below

Aerodynamic devices may only be fitted to
Racing and Sports Racing Cars (unless prohibited by
an Approved Formula), or where specifically permitted,
where FIA homologated, or where complying with
National type approval. Such devices must not extend
beyond the maximum width of the vehicle, above the
maximum height of any roof, or for an open car the
maximum height of the ROPS, or extend longitudinally
from the body work by more than 100mm

Dont want you to have any scrutineering issue mate

Renault Clio 172
Last few bits done today.

Started with a new set of tyres from Demon Tweeks for the weekend racing. Probably had enough tread for the racing, but booked in for testing too, so better safe than sorry!

3773c6766ce90b372d3151c740e63a82_zps2bc9c2bb.jpg

Next, got some new 19mm spaces from KTec for the back, thanks for the recommend BigAsh (James). They look lovely with the wheel,on, but forgot to take a pic.

36e0c9ed0ba0e0882bf0cda54924bf26_zps62b8887d.jpg

Next, some air scoops from CM Compsites. Really like dealing with Chris there, always good service

81e276eef1c85db5e5934e9b5583c876_zps54cec882.jpg

I think the front end looks awesome now! A mean looking front!

efa688be8aaff661be84ff22364b7fd6_zpse7ddfc90.jpg

Renault Clio 172
Then got the car loaded up for a nice four and a half hour drive down to Snetterton!

8745806a594617001657f146f10bb6c2_zps981f02e2.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing how the car goes now. A bit nervous really, as this is the first time I've really worked on a car, so no idea how good/bad it will be. The front disks are rubbing a bit, so hoping they will bed in after a few laps.

The remap didn't come out as straight forward as we expected. Apparently it's got an old style ECU and needed to actually take the chip out to re programme it.

Also couldn't fit the shift lights, something to do with the coil pack not being compatible. Feel as though the electrician was pulling a fast one, because he couldn't be arsed to do it!

Anyway, if we have Internet down there, I'll pop an update on how the testing has gone. Not sure if they have the Internet down south?