ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Throttle Bodies - Feck it! :-)

Ok, well Im gonna do the deed guys, throttle bodies are gonna go on the ol motor after the Belgium trip and before the first RenaultSport trackday, Im talking to Aldon Automotive about this at the mo, but just in case, hass anyone got a recommendation of a place that maybe has done this job already and are known to be good? (Gotta be closeish to the Solihull/West Mids btw)

Anyway..... Va Va Voooooooom :D

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

cant help you, but I wanna see it as soon as its done! :D:D:D:D

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

instead of one throttle body for the engine each cylinder gets its own. These replace the inlet manifold and bolt straight to the front of the block. So you get a lot of air more directly into the engine. So you get increased power and torque and a great sound.

Lurvely sound and lurvely power increase tooooooo

Not cheap mind, but after alot of thinking and some late night chats with BenR its come out as the only way to go for me!

Jas - Youll see it at the bedford days, Im gonna do the 28th May and 27th June, so if it aint done for the first one, it will be for the second one - you can count on it :D

Whilst Im thinking about it better make sure the new ecu can handle firing direct port nitrous injectors and uping the fuel as well, just in case I get bored with the power again ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I would hazard a guess of initially 200bhp.. with loads more to come with other smaller mods.

Well, if I remember correctly, BenR got about 215 on the one they setup, so Id be hoping for 210-220 if its a pukka job (Ill be taking it down to PowerEngineerings rollers to check out the figures once the work is done).

I would have a talk with northampton motorsport, they do alot of side draught and throttle body work.

Good man, goin the right way. I would estimate about 200-210bhp when its all done, but make sure you get some damn cold air to the things! lol

Just to clear up a bit, coolspot was right till he said they bolt direct to the block. Direct-to-head TBs are only available for a tiny selection of motors and Renaults make up none of them, but if im not mistaken there is one direct-to-head TB available for the F7 engine in france......not 100% though.

Most throttle bodies will need an inlet manifold to mate their DCOE mounting face to thats of the heads inlet face. Think of it as an adaptor. The head sits on the block and the TBs mate with the head.

Just thought if were gonna talk it, we all might as well know whats up.

Damn, Roamers gonna beat me to it! lol

Roamer, I havent heard of Aldon. The issue isnt about the throttle bodies, Jenveys can supply them easily, but rather the manifold. Im only aware of the prima racing conversion using twin Alpha Webers in the UK for about £3k and 200bhp. Theres an outfit in Belgium called Chadil (check out http://www.chadil.bewww.chadil.be) who have a manifold for the 172. Otherwise, there are two companies in France that do this. One is http://www.technomap.frwww.technomap.fr http://www.Technomapwith a great looking kit with 220bhp at £6k or http://www.efjies.frwww.efjies.fr with a single enlarged throttle body kit for the 172 for about £4k and 200bhp. What prices are you being quoted by Aldon, and do they use individual TBs or twins?

yes you can get them for a willy.

Chadill do the whole kit, but stick to the manifold as you can get far cheaper TB;s here in the UK. SPace is a premium under there so choose your TB wisely, you need a decent amount of space for a nice sized air filter and thrumpets under the filter.

There is also a japanese company of which i know nothing about except i have seen the pics.

Insurance-wise I aint got a clue, but when I was phoning around for the big nitrous addon and headwork Adrian Flux were the only one who would touch me for decent cash at all, so I guess Ill try them first, then ring around again.

Aldon said it would be around 2k +vat fitted, I would like to talk to a few places, there have been a few 172s for sale in the last year which claimed a throttle bodies conversion, so somewhere in the UK must have done them before..... Dont know if Aldon would be twins or singles, obviously the ECU will be chosen carefully, it would be good if it could handle the extra injectors for a dtp nitrous setup in the future....... :devilish:

BenR - Dont worry on the cold air front, I know how important it is now :D, might just have to go for the thin Jenveys in order to be able to feed any air up front! nah but seriously there should be enough room if items are chosen carefully.

The Alson kit for 2k will consist of the webcon kit, so you wont have much choice. GO witht he throttle plate off jenvey and your looking at 400 quid + for jsut them, then you need all the other hardware like fuel rail, injectors, pressure reg, the abundance of sensors etc etc.....

I wont really matter what type you go for as they wont really affect peak power that much.

I would stick to a normal notrous setup, and not bother about an ECU that can control it, just look for one where you can swap maps easily from normal to one with the cirrect ignition curve for N20.

Tescos work on a {Std + %} formula for insurance.

Its along the line of Std = 100bhp Insurance = say £500

up to 30% more (130bhp) +£60 on premium

up to 50% more (150bhp) +£100 on premium

These are made up figures to give an idea of how it seems to work.

My last car was £300 insurance for 133bhp and when chipped went to 165bhp costing me an extra £60 = £360 Total. Under their formula I could go to about 170bhp with no extra cost.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Roamer....Its the only safe route to go for 200+

Northampton Motorsports are a good outfit, had my car on their RR and it was almost identical to PE. They are Alpha dealers too, they said those ecus are extemely mapable too.

Skoda Fabia vRS

well im not sure if Nick Hill has done one, but he obviously CAN do it, hes done a fair few throttle body conversions now, on 16v, Willys, Spiders.......etc

give him a call an im sure he can give you an estimate

i think Nick uses a lot of lumenition stuff, i know he has used there mappable ECUs in the past, not sure what he uses on his throttle body work though

http://www.hillpower.co.ukwww.hillpower.co.uk

He has the now normal (lol) viper/HP/BMC induction, chip and exhaust.

i only got 182...poo...lol, but i do run in a much hotter country ;), ah excuses excuses

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

so...with these tbs, more horses is more strain on parts, wot essential upgrades would u need to match it e.g. better clutch...or r the standard parts capable? :oops:

no strain on parts, why do people keep thinking this?

Sure, a higer torque movement, but nothing stressing enough to pummel the engine, you sont need to cahnge any parts. But a nice session on teh dynamic balancer for the crank and flywheel would be most beneficial. As std, the Cranka nd flyy are horribly balanced.....dunno whyt they decided to skimp on it.

Have you checked out www.collardracing.co.uk? Rob Collard campaigned a Clio last year in the BTCC as a privateer production entry. I think when we spoke to him at Thruxton, it had 220bhp with individual throttle bodies. They said the engine had loads of potential but didnt prove very reliable under racing conditions (funny - seems to work fine in the Clio Cup cars).

Unfortunately, they gone over to a Triple Eight Astra this year to become more competitive, buts it worth giving them a call or e-mail to see if theyve got any advice.

but they seemed to have more of a problem with the wheels falling off.....lol.

Like i said, the reciprocating masses arent the best balanced, as as long as you dont push things too far, itll be fine. THere are a couple 172s on bodies running about the UK, france and Japan.

CLio cup cars are basically std bar some ignition tweeks, and only really push out the same BHP.

Well, Im off tomorrow to go one step further with the TBs, no promises on when itll be completed yet :( but without working this stuff out tomorrow it could take ages, so Ill maybe fill you in on stuff when I get back tomorrow night ;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

215bhp. isnt that in V6 territory?

whats the torque like?

Where are the peak power and torque figures in rpm?