ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

timing belt..

182 ff cup packs
hows about a thread that makes people get their belts done....ive spoken to a few boys who cant afford to get them done and are happy to risk it...i just dont get it....ive seen a few go lately an then they get the cost of rebuilding the head, gaskets etc....plus they cant wait to pay me to do the belts then.....y not get them done to prevent it happening......my mates belt let go at 7000rpm an all 16valves were bent....... put your horror stories up so people know the risks :quiet:

SQ5
£400 for cambelt or £400 for second hand engine? It's kind of worth the gamble if you can change an engine in a day yourself.

I wouldn't risk it though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
£400 for cambelt or £400 for second hand engine? It's kind of worth the gamble if you can change an engine in a day yourself.

I wouldn't risk it though

Agreed, and realistically a set of valves and guides isnt anymore, plus a secondhand head is only less than half that and not much more hassle to change than doing the belt anyway.

Just a case of if you want the inconvenience of your car being off the road for ages while you find the bits and find time to fit them etc.

Money wise though, its not a big gamble.

SQ5
Missus has just bought one with Cambelt done 4.5 years ago and she said does she need it done, she's got the money from the sale of her old car, and I said its up to you but I would. And that's what she's doing as it just makes sense to not have the car for a day rather than waiting for me to find and fit an engine!

Even then new engine needs belts and bits doing which is £250, so viably it makes sense to get the belts done at the correct intervals!

182 ff cup packs
Please do not discuss moderation on thee forum.

Im confused at to the nature of this thread tbh?
the point of the thread is simple...if your belt does go and you replace the engine, dont most put a "new belt on the replacement engine"....why not save the cost and headwork and change it instead of risking it....i know 5 boys who are past the interval (72k or 5yrs) and am just trying to get them to see it can be false econemy.... out of the 5 i know, none are mechanics so would end up paying for an engine,belts and someone to fit it all...

Astra (H) VXR
Mine was done 4k ago at 84k on the clock and done at 35k which is what the millage was when it hit its 5 year interval. I wouldn't risk it to be honest because I havent the first clue about changing an engine...

Just out of interest how hard is it to do them on the sports? I've heard it's by the easiest job and you need special tools..

182 ff cup packs
they are not that bad to do, little bit tight and air con pipes "hinder" a bit...you need to use genuine renault locking tools though