ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing tool nightmare

Is the Laser camshaft timing tool any good? The one which locks camshaft behind the cam seals
Genuine Renault ones are on backorder and I can't find one anywhere......... I've got genuine tools for the rest but not sure whether to risk the laser?
If anyones got experience do tell......

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
The camshaft horseshoe tool is only really needed to set the cams in position and lock them. It's the camshaft pulley tool that has all the stress and force exerted on it. If it's locked up properly with that then there shouldn't really be any force exerted on the horseshoe tool. Maybe i'm talking rubbish but i'm sure I read it somewhere on here before and am sure it was Mick from Diamond motors that said something along those lines. I'd still want all the Renault tools though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The camshaft horseshoe tool is only really needed to set the cams in position and lock them. It's the camshaft pulley tool that has all the stress and force exerted on it. If it's locked up properly with that then there shouldn't really be any force exerted on the horseshoe tool. Maybe i'm talking rubbish but i'm sure I read it somewhere on here before and am sure it was Mick from Diamond motors that said something along those lines. I'd still want all the Renault tools though.
This is 100% correct. The horseshoe is only there to set the cams in the correct position. It's the idiots that think they can loosen/tighten the cam pulley nut/shifter bolt that run into trouble and bend the tool.

This is 100% correct. The horseshoe is only there to set the cams in the correct position. It's the idiots that think they can loosen/tighten the cam pulley nut/shifter bolt that run into trouble and bend the tool.
Thanks for the info, I've got the renault pulley lock tool so do you think it might be worth a go using a laser tool? They may be sh*t but if I'm only really relying on it lining up the cams before and after changing the dephaser it should only be there to guide. I'd make sure to use reanult tools to lock when freeing off the pulleys and as long as the laser tool was straight once all tightened up should be good right?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the info, I've got the renault pulley lock tool so do you think it might be worth a go using a laser tool? They may be sh*t but if I'm only really relying on it lining up the cams before and after changing the dephaser it should only be there to guide. I'd make sure to use reanult tools to lock when freeing off the pulleys and as long as the laser tool was straight once all tightened up should be good right?
Yeah give it a shot mate. Just make sure the pulley locking tool is tight and the cam locking tool isn't bent after you've tightened up the pulley nut/bolt.