ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tim's Forged LY R26

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Today didn't quite go to plan as there was an issue with the turbo but RS Tuning sorted it out. Paul put it on the dyno to check it and it made 330bhp on 1.3bar at 5k rpm. It wasn't pushed past that as it starts to run lean because of the Catcams.

The engine is on 350 miles now so I'll do another 150 miles tomorrow morning and then Paul will map it. Looks promising so far so the results should be good :smile:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Today didn't quite go to plan as there was an issue with the turbo but RS Tuning sorted it out. Paul put it on the dyno to check it and it made 330bhp on 1.3bar at 5k rpm. It wasn't pushed past that as it starts to run lean because of the Catcams.

The engine is on 350 miles now so I'll do another 150 miles tomorrow morning and then Paul will map it. Looks promising so far so the results should be good :smile:
Awesome sauce!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Great news Tim, very happy for you bud. :smile:

I bet your glad to have it back after all of this time. :smiley:

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Great news Tim, very happy for you bud. :smile:

I bet your glad to have it back after all of this time. :smiley:

Thanks, glad to be driving it again.

Though I didn't like the short shift and Recaro Trendlines after being in the 172 so long 😂

I've got used to it again now though and it's seriously rapid accelerating from 3k to 5k in 6th!

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Here's the graph.

4B8E0D6D-EA9F-4CA0-ABB2-5FD516875FB6_zps4ykms4cm.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
good to see the R26.R clutch holds 360lb/ft, although it could probably hold a bit more too i hope/guess.

Yeah i understand mate :D

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Update

Realised that I've not done a proper update on results and spec of the engine since RS Tuning rebuilt it.

It's now running 340bhp and 360lbft with injectors at 89% and turbo not pushed to the max. There's another LY Megane with same spec engine but upgraded fuel system running 375bhp so it's nice to know there is potential for more power in future if needed.

Here are the graphs after Paul finished mapping it.

BHP and torque at the flywheel
RS%20Tuning%20bhp%20torque_zpsgf2eyrwl.jpg

Boost and BHP at the wheels
RS%20Tuning%20bhp%20boost_zpsmcgks7q8.jpg

AFR and BHP at the wheels
RS%20Tuning%20bhp%20afr_zpswagbnqbo.jpg

I noticed the Odyssey race battery was losing charge if I didn't use the R26 for a few days so I replaced it with a Varley 25. Reason I went with Varley this time is because it has better cranking amps and most importantly it looks better.
IMG_8436_zpsqmopv37u.jpg

Next job was to replace some plastics, this lot and a new dipstick cost over £100!
IMG_8439_zps8au5kko1.jpg

My car never had these which connect the bumper under tray to the arch liners.
IMG_8440_zpswhlbkvkf.jpg

New arch liner as the old one had been eaten by the tyre.
IMG_8444_zpsecfgxbt3.jpg

Hopefully it won't happen again now it's got all the correct plastics holding it in place
IMG_8443_zpslaevcu0b.jpg

Then once I had finished that I set about fitting my Ktec stud conversion kit which I bought a couple of years ago.
IMG_8441_zpsufrbjcg6.jpg

It didn't come with instructions so I copied the ones on the Pure Motorsport website. Applied loctite to the studs then torqued 20nm, refitted the wheel, nuts hand tightened, then torqued to 110nm after three hours. Good excuse to get spacers now :smile:
IMG_8446_zpsgy2qphey.jpg

Rears definitely need spacers now.
IMG_8448_zpsqpk3tzj5.jpg

Had trouble doing the rears as the wheels were stuck on. Got them off eventually by loosening the bolts and driving it up the road.

Noticed the pad was low so ordered some replacements, I thought it would last until next weekend but I was wrong 😂
IMG_8447_zpscxjmr9pf.jpg

The pad lasted until Tuesday which made for an interesting drive home so good job these arrived from @George@RTR_Parts the next day. Decided to upgrade from oem Brembo pads to DS2500 because I've never been a fan on the oem pads and the fronts were being upgraded to Carbotech.
IMG_8451_zpsxhmmbbzk.jpg

Carbotech XP8 pads arrived in time to fit them at the weekend along with the rear pads. Reason I went for the XP8 pad instead of the DS2500 again is the car is so much faster now that the braking felt delayed and lacked initial bite.
IMG_8452_zpsd6sfmbdc.jpg

IMG_8455_zpslirnmsdj.jpg

Started off by doing the rears. I got my money's worth out of these pads lol
IMG_8458_zpselefznhd.jpg

Disc is clearly worn but I chucked the new pads on anyway.
IMG_8457_zps4yc5ikox.jpg

Caliper back on (after a trip to GSF for a caliper wind back tool)
IMG_8460_zpsqyvrmxcj.jpg

Luckily I just about got away with it on the passenger side.
IMG_8461_zpsawl3c8xv.jpg

Spot the difference between the old passenger side pads and new ones 😂
IMG_8463_zps7kz63f82.jpg

Front pads are usually much easier but the pins were a b*****d to remove. They're not the same pins I fitted last time I replaced the pads so that might have something to do with it :confused:

Carbotechs XP8's fitted
IMG_8466_zps2gfim4se.jpg

IMG_8467_zpsannjduot.jpg

This shows how hard one was to remove, ended up butchering it with the hammer and punch:hammer:
IMG_8472_zps8jf9euet.jpg

Running in was conducted later that night as bedding process isn't suitable for normal hours. Bedding in requires four hard brakes from 70mph to 10mph with 30 seconds between to cool down, then four very hard brakes from 70mph+ to 10mph with 1 minute between to cool down. Then the fun part is 15 minutes driving using regular medium to hard braking with last mile using minimal braking to cool down.

The pads have been fitted for a few weeks now and I'm impressed so far. Braking from cold is good, no annoying noises, and the pads bite well as soon as you apply the brakes. They're definitely have much more power for same pedal travel compared to the DS2500.

Early today I gave it a bit on a clean as it was quite dirty.
IMG_8536_zpshky5fmql.jpg

Then I decided to remove the heat shield under the bonnet as it hasn't coped very well with the heat from the turbo.
IMG_8531_zpsaz1aud7s.jpg

Looks much better now, think I might have to find something to replace it with though.
IMG_8533_zpsxex4zi5o.jpg

Finally, I won a set of Toyo R888R after entering a prize draw on the Toyo stand at the Castle Combe Performance Action Day last month :cool:
IMG_8535_zpsuurpacrs.jpg

Spec update (copied @Cub.'s format as it works well imo)

Engine (original engine rebuilt by RS Tuning)
- 83mm CP Carillo pistons
- Manley rods
- ACL big end bearings
- Catcams cams
- Supertech valves
- Supertech double spring kit
- 630cc injectors
- RS Tuning Megane 250 hybrid turbo
- Forge recirc value and actuator
- ITG induction kit with larger ITG filter
- Forge intercooler
- Forge hard pipe kit
- Forge coolant hoses
- Mocal oil catch can
- Varley 25 battery
- Powdercoated inlet, engine mount, oil breather plate and brackets
- Ktec 3" exhaust
- Mapped by RS Tuning 339.8bhp and 360lbft

Transmission
- R26 refurbished original gearbox
- RS Tuning SMF
- R26.r clutch

Handling
- Cooksport lowering springs
- R26 dampers and topmounts
- Ktec stud conversion kit
- R26 anthracite alloys with AD08R tyres

Braking
- Carbotech XP8 front pads
- Brembo HC front discs
- Ferodo DS2500 rear pads
- Renault drilled rear discs
- Goodridge brake hoses
- ATE Super Blue fluid

Interior and Exterior
- GoPro mount above radio display
- Scanguage II
- Recaro seat base carbon build no. decals
- R26.r spoiler in LY
- MEGANE badge delete

To Do List
- new Brembo pins
- new heatshield under bonnet
- bonnet strut kit
- wheel spacers
- rear strut brace (bought it about three years ago lol)
- powdercoat spare Forge hardpipe, inlet and oil breather plate (colour to be decided)
- Toyo R888R 235 40 18 tyres to be fitted in February
- Tarox F2000 grooved front discs once Brembo HCs are worn out
- Fuel system upgrade inc swirl pot etc

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
looking good tim

got the struts for the bonnet kit now btw

Thanks Matt

Tim, hows your clutch coping with 340hp?

That's the only concern on my new engine.

It's ok so far, I haven't felt any slipping and clutch has done 7.5k miles now (5k on old engine and 2.5k on this one).

Awesome Timmy! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh!

I'll try to make the meet on Sunday :)

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
So 6th gear has gone :confused:

It happened two weeks ago, I was driving home in 6th when it started rattling. First thought was s**t the engine has gone but to my relief the noise went when I changed down. All other gears are fine but 6th crunches when selected and then rattles.

Luckily I was less than a mile from home and I haven't driven it since so shouldn't be any further damage.

Car was collected yesterday so hopefully it won't take too long to get sorted.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So 6th gear has gone :confused:

It happened two weeks ago, I was driving home in 6th when it started rattling. First thought was s**t the engine has gone but to my relief the noise went when I changed down. All other gears are fine but 6th crunches when selected and then rattles.

Car was collected yesterday so hopefully it won't get too long to get sorted.
Ffs!!!!