ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To tune or not to Tune.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
ok here goes, got a mk1 172 sport. all standard as it stands. wasnt planning to tune the engine but as i really starting to get attached to the car i cant help to think if i could squeeze abit more power out of it.

but for 500 spare is it worth spending money on the engine?

i know for this type of money you get exhaust system and a Enclosed filter system. that be good for 10bhp max maybe. also heard about this manifold inlet thing and a ecu map but not sure if its worth doing on its on own.

i know some may say its better to spend money on the brakes and suspension i agree but i dont plan to do any track days to see the best out of them and would be wasted on public roads :(

193 mk2
first off beware of the tunning drug, once you start, you'll be hooked!!! but if you don't adhere to my warning & become a tunning junkie like me & so many other sorryfull souls on here, £500 is a good start, but remember my warning, 3k+ down the road, still wanting more & every hit costs more than the last lol, cams, superchargers, throttle bodies, turbos.i wan't them allllllll. its a sickness lol.
Bullsh=t aside start with a zoust as this changes the feel of the standard car so much, although not much faster, in my opinion the best first mod, look in car parts there's often second hand ones up for grabs. then get the inlet matched by benr @ awt or nick @ hillpower, this is by far the most increase in power you'll get for your money. 8-10 bhp for £180. then buy an itg panel filter & de-cat £100, then save up for a custom re-map & good i.k. you will love the results. the addiction starts.
hope this helps. matt

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Good post wide.
Agreed with all his comments really. Inlet manifold matching is a good place to start along with a de-cat and remap,should set you back along the £5-600 area. Then there is your exhaust,cams,TB's,etc etc,lol.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
^agreed! & you already have cable throttle, mk2 owners have to pay extra! ;-(

wide said:
first off beware of the tunning drug, once you start, you'll be hooked!!! but if you don't adhere to my warning & become a tunning junkie like me & so many other sorryfull souls on here, £500 is a good start, but remember my warning, 3k+ down the road, still wanting more & every hit costs more than the last lol, cams, superchargers, throttle bodies, turbos.i wan't them allllllll. its a sickness lol.
Bullsh=t aside start with a zoust as this changes the feel of the standard car so much, although not much faster, in my opinion the best first mod, look in car parts there's often second hand ones up for grabs. then get the inlet matched by benr @ awt or nick @ hillpower, this is by far the most increase in power you'll get for your money. 8-10 bhp for £180. then buy an itg panel filter & de-cat £100, then save up for a custom re-map & good i.k. you will love the results. the addiction starts.
hope this helps. matt

well said:star:

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
wide said:
hope this helps. matt

cheers, ok il start with a exhaust system should set me back around 300-350. i have a pipercross panel filter already.
next il say the inlet matched, just a few questions on this tho- what disadvanges will i get from this mod. 1- car will drink more fuel 2- will need a re-map.anymore???
so how much is the inlet matched including the re-map as im sure you need to set the fuel correct ?
all this should be around my budget if im not forgetting anything.

anyone know how much a set of cam fitted and re-map would set back?

cheers for peoples input :)

do agree it is addictive!!!!

193 mk2
no prob. with this mod ,drinks slightly more & will run lean untill you get a re-map but its not a problem i ran mine for a few months before i got my smt6.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
total cost=
300-350- exhault system
180- inlet match
re-map- ??? anyone know.
= £530= 15bhp max
170+15= 195bhp

anyone know the labour rates if its not included with the unit price.
does that sound about right?

E-ray_172 said:
total cost=
300-350- exhault system
180- inlet match
re-map- ??? anyone know.
= £530= 15bhp max
170+15= 195bhp

anyone know the labour rates if its not included with the unit price.
does that sound about right?

lol i make it 185 :quiet:

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
FredYozzasport said:
for exhaust, filter, remap, inlet match, i would budget £1K

could you do a brake down of that 1K mate?

yep kullyscliosport 185 it is lol :eek: (my personal cs post checker)

Lionel Richie
decent exhaust £350
viper £200
remap £350
inlet £200

you can shop around and get second hand stuff etc etc to save a few quid

Coilovers are best mod but if you wanna save some money mate.... my inlet is coming off my car soon which is matched already as i'm getting throttle bodies.

I'd sell you it no problem and it will be cheaper then getting it done.

PM me if interested.

I have an mk1 172 so it will bolt off and directly bolt on. May need to change the gaskets.

Oh and with standard exhaust, standard airbox.... i was running my modded inlet, de-cat and smt6. I was getting 182bhp.

Chris K said:
Oh and with standard exhaust, standard airbox.... i was running my modded inlet, de-cat and smt6. I was getting 182bhp.

any difference betweem mk1, and mk2 172s re above ?

BMW Z4 3.0i
I'd keep it standard. The car has good set up which was thoroughly tested by renault and has won praise from the world of motoring journalism. Keep it standard, save the money on parts and added insurance premiums, you're likely to be able to shift it quicker come time to sell up as many people are weary of modified cars.

With all this money saved and accumulating interest, you'll be able to afford that M3 or scooby quicker :D

GazCB said:
I'd keep it standard. The car has good set up which was thoroughly tested by renault and has won praise from the world of motoring journalism. Keep it standard, save the money on parts and added insurance premiums, you're likely to be able to shift it quicker come time to sell up as many people are weary of modified cars.

With all this money saved and accumulating interest, you'll be able to afford that M3 or scooby quicker :D

The car can be improved over standard, Renault design the car with many compromises, cost, ride comfort, fuel economy etc. etc. if you want to make the car better it is easy, although costly, to do.

Never expect to get your money back on tuning parts. Dont do it if you are thinking of selling the car in the near future.

On the M3 scooby thing. They are different things to a tuned clio. If you want a large performance saloon in the future fair enough. I personally dont. Something small and light weight and a less likely target for the local scum bags suits me.

I dont know how old you lot are but when you have to buy a house and have kids etc etc M3's and EVO's become an expense you are less likely to be able to justify.

Clio 182
Look for second hand stuff off here thats what i'm doing. I got Gary G's prospeed full exhaust and D-cat. Its still got a lifetime garuantee, looks and sounds awsome. You will get more for your money, plus in my experience you can trust the seller and you are getting a quality product Unlike Ebay grrr.

I say tune it !!! (but dont go crazy with the money) Or keep it standard and buy a turbo next and tune that at the fraction of the cost !

M3's and scoobys are just scum magnets. I've known a few people who've had M3's and have sold them within 6 months due to vandels/thevies. My girlfriends boss's M3 got stripped outside her house the other night and she did not hear a thing!! She actually has'nt had it back long since it got stolen the same day she actually brought it !!! Not the sort of ownership i'd want in a car!