ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

182cup & 172 racecar
Yes, that's what caught me out! None of the shown circuits are the one we used, I was following Ian and wondered where the fk he was going.

Only managed to get the solar panel up yesterday - going slow at the moment. Ate my first proper meal this weekend since the 24th December (won't bore you all with the details) - also a fair bit lighter now, 70kgs, which brings down the all up weight!

Going to get the Cup down and start working on it this coming weekend for sure.

Anyway, here's the 40 watt solar panel and battery conditioner all fitted and working (took a fair bit longer to set up etc than I thought it would).

WP_20140105_001_zps35b8f6c1.jpg

Tractor has fired up first time whenever I've tried it since fitting solar panel - so that's money well spent. Will see how it fairs over the next few weeks as it's getting below 0 degrees at night now.

Spent the afternoon fitting my new hubs today - didn't go to plan and only managed to finish one side - made lots of mistakes and was rushing to beat the ever impending darkness.

My first panic and mistake this is viewed from the top - can you work it out? Tony sorted me out.

WP_20140112_001_zpse38049d9.jpg

Then unsure about the track rod, no Allen key the right size to get the eye off the hub and didn't know if I could turn the track rod round and round about 30 times to get it screwed into the eye. Tony said I could so I did.

Then had a panic with the wheel bearings - fitted hub and brake disc and hub nut - should there be that much play?? Txt to James and Tony, wrong torque setting - 170 not enough. My torque wrench only goes to 200nm and no play felt when at 200 so when it's at 280 should be more than fine.

I did carry out a slight modification whilst fitting the kit - elongated the outer wishbone hole moving the rose joint forward by 4-5mm, gaining more castor in doing so. Guess I should move the inner hole back to even things up as hub would now possibly be at the wrong angle and inboard a bit? Maybe over thinking it.

Took me a while to work out to undo the ARB end bolts so I could bend the wish bones down to get the hub in the wishbone rose joint.

WP_20140112_005_zpsb240c498.jpg

WP_20140112_004_zpscba09fa8.jpg

WP_20140112_003_zps58051d02.jpg

WP_20140112_006_zps471d2633.jpg

Liking the way it's all horizontal!! Took the suspension strut off, cleaned springs and strut and re fitted to the same height as it was last year. Now I've more castor I may just have to raise it a bit more if the front of the wheel arch rubs when front wheels are under load whilst turning.

WP_20140112_007_zps148b5bda.jpg

This is with no camber set and 25mm spacers, hoping 1.5 degrees should be all I need. Ran with 2.5 degrees camber before so will try 1.5 as a starting point.

What way should the suspension to hub bolts go, nut to front or back of strut?

Many thanks again to James and Tony as without their help I wouldn't have even got this far!!!

182cup & 172 racecar
Usually nut to back Pete, not that it matters that much.

Glad you got it sorted now, I did have a chuckle though.

Mistakes, we all make them.

clio cup
You should stick to cutting grass Pete, Only jesting,
Glad you got it sorted, and real shame I missed out on these

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Pete - bin off the 25mm spacers and replace them with either 10 or 15mm spacers at a push. The 25mm ones will ruin your scrub radius and you won't get the full benefit of the hubs. Remember the new bottom ball joint holders push the wheel out 5mm over standard and the cup is already widetrack from the factory.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd say that was even better than horizontal as the line is from the centre of the inner bushes to the centre of the uniball and the bushes sit a lot higher relative to the bottom of the wishbone.

looks great at that height, the wishbone the shaft and the track rod all almost parallel just HAS to work well.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'd say that was even better than horizontal as the line is from the centre of the inner bushes to the centre of the uniball and the bushes sit a lot higher relative to the bottom of the wishbone.

looks great at that height, the wishbone the shaft and the track rod all almost parallel just HAS to work well.
I'm trying out some 50mm corrector pins in mine soon. Just the steering arm correction to do, but I'm tempted to leave it at the current ride height and just use the pins to gain more RC correction.

Usually nut to back Pete, not that it matters that much.

Glad you got it sorted now, I did have a chuckle though.

Mistakes, we all make them.

:eek:

You should stick to cutting grass Pete, Only jesting,
Glad you got it sorted, and real shame I missed out on these

Lol, I'm glad I took the plunge now and binned off the TB's.

Pete - bin off the 25mm spacers and replace them with either 10 or 15mm spacers at a push. The 25mm ones will ruin your scrub radius and you won't get the full benefit of the hubs. Remember the new bottom ball joint holders push the wheel out 5mm over standard and the cup is already widetrack from the factory.

Cheers Mark, will do. I've a pair of 15mm's, that I took off the rear, in my box of bits. Will get them on this weekend.

It does all look "correct" and sort of gives off a "I'm going to work well" air of confidence as well thought out and manufactured mods\parts do.

I'm trying out some 50mm corrector pins in mine soon. Just the steering arm correction to do, but I'm tempted to leave it at the current ride height and just use the pins to gain more RC correction.

Where would these pins fit?

Nice - liking the look of that! :D

Cheers, had yours mapped yet as interested in your running engine temps after a bit of hard driving!

Nice, be interested i hearing your opinion on these.

Unfortunately, just booked the first test track day at Rockingham - 15th March so a long way away to get any real experience of these hubs. Though I have to get a noise test completed, after I've the "new" ecu fitted and mapped, as at times I was pushing over 98db's last year when the Cup was running rough. This means I've to take it somewhere when there's a TD going on so may try it out sooner if I can noise test and get a AM or PM slot some where sooner and local. Bedford or Rockingham are the likely places as both are under an hour away.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, had yours mapped yet as interested in your running engine temps after a bit of hard driving!
No, sadly not yet mate. Slight setback due to unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances but I'm still hopeful it will be going for mapping within a matter of weeks. Once I get it done I'll report back with some temperatures and suchlike. :)

Looks good Pete.

Have you planned which races you're doing next year?

Thanks Mark, these are the "firm" 2014 fixtures for the TARC FT series and our yes or no to participating;

Rockingham April 5/6 YES

Castle Combe May 5 NO

Donnington June 7 Nippon/French only YES

Brands Hatch June 15 MR2/Hyundai only NO

Snetterton 300 July 12/13 YES

Silverstone August 9/10 NO

Cadwell Park September 20 YES

Oulton Park October 4 NO

Autumn Trophy Snetterton November 1 POSSIBLE

Just got to decide who's driving at what event - we won't be doing 1 race each on the day as last year.

I am the exact opposite of you lol.

Cadwell and Snetterton are a PITA for me. Rockingham, I won't be ready. Donnington busy and Oulton busy but may be able to wangle it. Autumn Trophy, possibly.

I'm going to do some CSCC races too as the dates/locations just happen to be better for me. I'll probably do 2 or 3 with each club.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Will you be doing trackdays etc in the car as well, or just those 5 dates and a bit of testing?

Seems a bit of a waste to have such a cracking car sat there and not use it more than a few times a year each like that reads!

Will you be doing trackdays etc in the car as well, or just those 5 dates and a bit of testing?

Seems a bit of a waste to have such a cracking car sat there and not use it more than a few times a year each like that reads!

Yes, that's about it - those 5 races in entries alone will cost £1650 add on the rest and we're talking 5k +. We're a family and do lots of other things - off in August sailing in Greece for two weeks, Easter holiday planned and plenty of other stuff that Harry and Scarlett do at weekends football, swimming, horses, homework, it's not all about the car but it's up there. We did plan more last year but in fact did less for one reason or another, not really a waste as I'd rather have 1 quality session than 2 or 3 mediocre runs flogging a dead horse - so to speak.

182cup & 172 racecar
I've just ordered my 15's, had to get some crappy Halford ones 9.5+5mm so I could just put the wheels back on, as they were rubbing on the springs.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes, that's about it - those 5 races in entries alone will cost £1650 add on the rest and we're talking 5k +. We're a family and do lots of other things - off in August sailing in Greece for two weeks, Easter holiday planned and plenty of other stuff that Harry and Scarlett do at weekends football, swimming, horses, homework, it's not all about the car but it's up there. We did plan more last year but in fact did less for one reason or another, not really a waste as I'd rather have 1 quality session than 2 or 3 mediocre runs flogging a dead horse - so to speak.

quite a cool attitude to have. Most of the people I've known well who've raced have probably been TOO into it. So it's interesting to see someone just doing a bit here and there as a bit of fun. Hobbies should be fun not stressful after all :)

Willy, Willy 2, V6
I've just spent the last few evenings staying up late reading this thread from the start.... Very impressive Pete feel like I know you quite well now as it was like a life blog... Really good read... Love the way you've just jumped in. It's certainly inspired me to get involved so thinking of converting my Williams shell and racing that.

I've just spent the last few evenings staying up late reading this thread from the start.... Very impressive Pete feel like I know you quite well now as it was like a life blog... Really good read... Love the way you've just jumped in. It's certainly inspired me to get involved so thinking of converting my Williams shell and racing that.

Thanks for taking the time out to read - hopefully inspired you enough to get stuck in and join us all in the TT (Tricolore Trophy formerly French Trophy)!! It's been a good experience all round - frustrating at times but the driving experience more than makes up for the hassle. Involving the family makes it so much easier too, both attending events and spending the hard earned on the odd upgrade!

I have in my hands a vital piece of the jigsaw - ECU arrived back from Canems with new board & new upgraded chip, hoping this will finally filter out all the rubbish from the crank sensor.

Think I'll get it all sorted over the next 2 weeks and may be able to get the geo done on the morning of 15th Feb, then bring it down to Bedford for a noise test and I'll stick around for a chat with whoever's there on the day.

The fire's burning again - went out for a bit.

D.O.A that's what I'd class the ECU I received this week. Plugged it in this weekend expecting to hear rich lovely sounds form the car and all I got was the sound of a car on a cold winters morning, cranking not firing with the battery slowly dying (don't get many starts out of a race battery). Tried the crank sensor in different positions, got a bit tired after position 286, then realised was looking at the wrong web page...

Disappointed was not even close to the word, anyway sent off some "help" emails, txt's and voice mails to Dan (519) who emailed some possible things. Wasn't long before I was on the road to The Hovel for Dan to have a look see. Sometime later, after looking over Tony's effort at how thin can I make my big end bearings and listening to Sonny trying to book a mapping session Dan admits defeat .

I'm trying to remain calm and upbeat, as we adjourn to the office. Dan trying to get hold of Mr Canems and me reading the latest PFC mag, I ask do you have another Canems ECU any where, get my map on it and then if that works we'll know for sure where the problem is.

I won't say where the ECU came from, I'm easily bribed though. All firmware and mapped up it cranks over and sparks into life, nice one! A bit of checking and all's confirmed OK.

Ignition off, car continues to run, albeit a bit erratically but the cut off switch works fine and stop the engine. Ponder that for a bit (may be some different pin outs) and decided to call it a day as ECU works and the cut off works.

Left Dan with my ECU to send back to Canems for remedial work and when I receive back will try again when hopefully it'll work, the ignition switch will work and I'll be happy.

Thanks again to Dan for the short notice help, at least I've now a running car 100% progress there.