ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy No.120

Ex 182 owner
She's been to Hell now shes coming back.... and already putting parking noses out of joint

Day1_zps211d3a2c.jpg

Big thanks to
@MarcR™, @jesus for the Trophy advice.
@DTM Cars Ltd and @MicKPM for their time on PM and the phone.
@Neil@greenlight for a quite stunning quote.

And @trophymike for parting with her. All the best in the future mate.

Ex 182 owner
Sorry Dan, knew I forgot somone on the list..lol.

Pics when I can. She's had a good recovery at DTM and with Mike. Got a long way to go yet though to get up to my own spec.

Little things like belts are rigid lol and recaro frames need a new lick of paint.
Exhaust is a bit too meaty for me.

Chris

Ex 182 owner
HI @Martin_172
120 is far from the top at the minute. Plenty of bits to be getting my teeth into.

Hopefully it's coming Stirling way on its holidays once its all sorted.

Chris

Ex 182 owner
Spring cleaning comences early..
I'm 6ft2.. so that only 4 head cracks off the boot today..

17feb151_zps8f873011.jpg

Red on the outside only please... this is all going to have to go eventually.

17feb152_zpsaa6c1a51.jpg

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
looks a good base to start with! i agree on the red on the inside going, the renaultsport mats with the white trim/badge suit them quite well thats what ive got.

Ex 182 owner
Yep, many do mate and I know why as its an obvious personalisation with little irreversible damage done.

was going to give my red strips away free but the drivers side is numbered. So I guess its a box in the loft for any other owner one day.... not that there is any plan for that.

Ex 182 owner
Inital check up with Blink went well. She isnt that bad. This was only a starting point. Got plenty to change on the car before we get things bang on.
T120-Blink2_zpsb3c27d75.gif

Leaky Boot. Hopefully traced to the damn 57p boot stop gromet. Two order from Renault. Will probbaly add my own sealant as well to make sure next time. As i am taking the seats out anyway and refurbing the side mounts. i may aswell look to remove carpet and wash/dry it properly.

Order in with @G 172 for the rear end and the list for @Renault Wolverhampton grows so will have to be split up into stages lol.

Ex 182 owner
I had wanted to take T120 north with me for a get together run but not knowing the car long enough (3 days) it seemed like a bad idea in the end. So after the trip to Blink. T120 was parked up and the 182 was rolled out for one last big run. And what a couple of days.. Stirling, dukes pass, Glen Coe, Oban and so much more. The rest and be thankful was just one of many amazing photo op. A freash set of shocks and some Eibach prolines.. the 182 non cup is equally brilliant. The 182 was almost poking me as to why it was being replaced.. TBH for 2 days. I didn't have an answer.

Rest%20and%20be_zps1nvolnmt.jpg

Ex 182 owner
whoops repost that Blink geo.
T120-Blink2_zpsb3c27d75.jpg

Lets hope these do the trick. 57p each from Renault. part no.7700423111

150225_zpssc5nemct.jpg

TBH they should be on your annual service item list for the amount of problems they can add. I found breaking the rear prongs inwards to get the old one out the easiest way. Added a tiny amount of extra silicon too.

Order lodged with @Renault Wolverhampton
Trophy Eibach Springs
Wishbones, Arb retainer and bolt, pinch bolt with nut
Cup struts (for sachs service schedules) with hub bolts and nuts
Rear Pass ABS sensor.... that bad boy is a wallet stinger!

Now time to sell a kidney.

Ex 182 owner
Boot apears to be still dry... However the boot, cv type has exploded. Think it's just a clip so it a trip to the shops for a jubilee. It's also developed a speed related ticking sound from the passenger side. More investigation planned.

New cat gasket for a Milltek sports cat which I had kicking about. Rest is a piper system, it's pretty loud TBH.
I wasn't going to do the boot struts till much later but the boot leak has lead to plenty of access need to the rear end so an SGS BMW items have been swapped in.
New rear disc/pads/nuts for the rear. Pad carriers all cleaned up and greased.
Front ARB added to the list. I could powder but a new one wasn't as crazy money as I thought so was added.
PMS solid tops also ordered up.

Will probably take the interior out next while the big order is getting together in Wolverhampton. The subframes need respraying and the seats are going. Will defo make a proper Hoover easier too.

Glad you went ahead and it seems a good one for you mate :)

Mine came with a Yozza... I kept it for a bit, way too loud, sold it and it paid for a Milltek. Free Milltek ftw!

Track 172 Cup
Good read and starting to come along, wish you luck in restoring it to its former glory. I'm also thinking of a Trophy myself never had a Clio until I bought a track 172 cup in Novermber and really liked it and fancied a Trophy hoping that with the little mileage I do it should hold its value rather well compared to most other stuff i was looking at lol

Ex 182 owner
Thanks Folks,
Yeah I was torn between a big ticket one and a needs a few bits one. Decided not to get to hung up on mileage as one day I will build an engine from scratch. Just want to get her tidy and tight to drive. Its also a weekend car for will take me years to get it past 90k let 100k.

It will basically be a "Triggers Broom" by the end ;).. would probably have been cheaper to mod a cup. Wouldn't ever be a Trophy though ;)

Ex 182 owner
Another day and more slow progress.
New Front Discs, Standard Pads (for now as I had then sat there)
greased and cleaned up the sliders and calipers
Jubiliee clip to passenger cv to get me to Birchdown next week for wheel bearings and general going over.

As it was sunny also gave the first go at the front seatbelt with the power hose. Did them while still attached to the car so far from perfect. I used the bulldog clip and bucket on my 182 and that works a treat. However untill all the works done on the car it would be foolish to do a mint job just yet.

Starting to think its going to be a subframe drop to do the front end refreash that I want.

Still I did want a project...

Ex 182 owner
Sat in car with hoover today.. but then the sun came out so we got to crack on..
t120sports4_zps65x6f4zx.jpg

easiest way to hoover..Take it all out
t120sports3_zpsh5lprdyj.jpg

Cleaned and ready for the loft..
t120sports2_zpsj69idibi.jpg

Touched these up for now, will get a pro job done one day.

t120sports5_zpsc13rkssq.jpg

As the sun came out and I needed the space in the house...
t120sports6_zpsqvmncvw4.jpg

t120sports7_zpsyvojpv17.jpg

t120sports8_zpsd6wlvajj.jpg

Just getting dark as the sun was setting... very happy with the result.. the 182 which these should have been going in is probbaly a little dissapointed.

Ex 182 owner
Trip to @Birchdown to see Andy and Steve,
New Wheel front Bearings fitted as part fo the refreash.
Cracked rear eibach sportlines springs pointed out by Steve. Have some Cup spares here going on anyway for back to standard.
Rear hand brake cables the wrong one and too long. Zipped up for now.
Few other bits suggested to have a look at.
Rear Pass ABS sensor issue confirmed on the code reader. Already on order but nice to know its defo the right part to hammer out at £117 each;)

Successful trip all in all. I like doing as much as i physically can myself but its nice to get a couple of sets of pro eyes to point things out!

Car now totally caked in s**t.. there is no point washing the car before you visit the lads trust me.
post%20birchdown_zpsqgwlhkgw.jpg

Ex 182 owner
Hi @Davyy ,
They are Recaro Sportster Cs, picked them up s/h a few months back. Would have fitted them to my 182 but then the trophy came along. Might be slightly too high on the trophy subframes so will look at other subframe options

Ex 182 owner
Thank you,
Yeah was suprised to se a s/h set TBH. As these are the ones you would buy from recaro direct. Not the ones out of Megan250/clio197's which have the renault subframes, are almost impossible to fit and are much easier to find second hand. They where actually listed on ebay as lotus seats, not sure if lotus seats are identical but these had the part numbers visible on the advert which confirmed they were the recaro supplied version and would fit straight onto Recaro subframes...such as in the Trophy.

The trendlines which came in the trophy have gone into storage. Although i always plan on keeping the car so will keep the new seats in long term. You never know and I dont need to make a quick bit of cash just yet on them. Plus would be selling without the subframe. They are very expensive unless you do somthing yourself. So i wouldnt ever get the £700-£900 you see them going for.

Ex 182 owner
Quiet weekend car wise. Still waiting for the big order to come in.

Still always looking to progress.
Thanks to @JonnyGee for helping with a meet and a few bits for mine and a mates car.

Cup%20Shocks_zpsd0nybuiq.jpg

Up shot is after Steve from Birchdown spotted the rear coils were snapped, I brought forward sourcing a set of cup rears, when Johnny said mint, he ment it. I am buying new Eibach fronts From Renault mainly as quality used ones are much more limited. The rears however I didnt mind going second.

Halfway thru an @The Fatty setup which I got from @deadmau5 that little strip of rubber for the metal edge mate is a god send. Airbox removed, loads of room now.. infact not 100% there isn't more room behind my headlights to fit a bigger filter. Pics later, I am nto a zip tie type of person so working out a proper mounting system.

Still working on drivers seat height with the new Recaros. It's fine but not ideal.

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Seats look brilliant :) Don't think that renault sell the Trophy Eibachs anymore, sure I read they dont but thought they had to supply parts fo 10 years or more but let me know how you get on if you don't mind.

Ex 182 owner
So not much to add at the minute, we wait. Renault France has apparently had Adam's boot up the arse and there maybe daylight.

In the mean time. Another item that had been bought for the 182 but made its way to the trophy. Always wanted "a gauge" mates always had them on their toys back in the day so figured I would get one for a laugh. Opted for an SPA Oil temp/pressure options. Got as far as fitting the the pillar pod. I was going to paint it but actually its not a bad match considering its light black and the trim is dark blue.

photo5_zpsfoqdtaez.jpg

Been waiting weeks for this to turn up. Big hand to RB motorsport for sorting it for me.
photo6_zpsyou5glnz.jpg

Now its just the cabling to work out.

Ex 182 owner
So still working out the gauge plumbing but it's coming along.

first load of parts from renault are here. No ARB unfortunately. No idea what's going on with that

1034474d1d4b770268f31c885896a501_zpsubx5lqps.gif

New whishbones, springs, cup shocks for service. Loads of new bolts.

Main job and what a pig. Rear abs sensor. Still lights now off and we have Abs once again.

New terminal cover for battery.

Ex 182 owner
Just reunited T120 with somthing I dont believe she has seen in years.. An actual Renault Cat :wink:. Hopefully tame the Piper down a bit too.

New front Lambda also fitted,. So pleased that the 22mm ring spanner goes just over the connector which allows you to thread the spanner all the way down to the sensor. This means that the ring end can be used and a good grip when dishing out the welly to remove the old one out the manifold.

Gauge wiring plumbed in. Just need to fit the sandwich plate which may aswell be done with an oll change. Job for tomorrow hopefully.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
What's was the SPA gauge like to wire up? I've been looking at the same one

Ex 182 owner
Hi @haimsey, electrical wiring isnt too bad. I was suggested piggy back fuse err.. thinginy. to save cutting into the looms somwhere.
by another member, with the added bonus of a sperate fuse for the SPA (it actually has its own one apparently). So i wired it over to a switched live in the passenger side internal fuse box.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321088780930?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The bit thats been tough has been learning about threads. Didnt know anythign untill about a week ago. 1/8th npt, bsp, bspt, ect ect. thats has caused to need some adaptors for my japanese sandwich plate. Its worth reading up on what comes with the guage your buying and the sandwich plate to save agro.

Thanks @Iain C No, I found them advertised as Lotus seats, but they hadnt been in a Lotus but some(?) track car. I realised that they where recaro recaros when i saw the serial number on the side. Basically they are what you get if you ring recaro/capital seating ect. They however have a standard recaro bolt spacing so fitted staright into the Trophy. They are fine to drive but a bit high compared to Trendlines...so plans are being hatched.

Ex 182 owner
Mileage 82505
Cat has indeed tamed the Piper. Looking at getting the Cat to centre flange removed for a straight pipe.

So good bit of Sunny Easter drive work.
Sandwich plumbed in
Easter%202015%201_zpsch6gawef.gif

with piggy back fuse
Easter%202015%203_zpsizebekpc.gif

Spa In the R-Racing Pod. Now to work out what to set everything too.
Easter%202015%204_zpspicxaad4.gif

Oil and filter change were a no brainer at this stage
Easter%202015%202_zpsdhkiawex.gif

Also fitted Vibratechnics Engine/Gearbox mounts and a poly bushed dogbone. With some nice new new bolts. Might paint lacquer them to try and keep them none rusty.
photo_zps9jkb2oyk.gif

New trophy eibachs for the shocks. I am going to worry about the cosmetics of these when winter comes along and they come off again. Again new bolts as I hate putting part rounded stuff back on.

Easter%20part%202%201_zpsvuitwks9.gif

Easter%20part%202%202_zpsggpqqelx.gif

Plus Pure MotorSport Tops and Brace. Got further plans for this too :wink:
Easter%20part%202%203_zps6ieavrl6.gif

Safe to say she is starting to handle a treat. :wink:

Ex 182 owner
Cheers @SharkyUK . I really want to tidy/swap the arb and power bush it. It cosmetically a bit tired. To be honest that's then nearly me done and it's time to save some pennies for the long term bits.

Yep like the avatar too. It's it meant to be symbolic? ;)

Ex 182 owner
120 decided to join the technological elite today.

Not as easy as swapping the boot bump stops but a simple and rewarding 10 mins of modding.

6166011e8e08d5e889dbc42e5ca99d51_zps1ghswb22.jpg

Ex 182 owner
Annoying little job today, roof aerial. Car came with a chromed affair. Decided to launch it. All was going well till it came off with the mounting thread and all. Upshot was new base was required.

Fiddly little job swapping them over but got there in the end. Bit of extra sealant to make sure of no roof leaks.

Will probably fit one fo the CTR stubby versions as i have one on my other car.