ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy No.120

Ex 182 owner
Thanks to BCS in Haydock. I dont have to worry about the damn olive joint anymore!

catmod_zps7m6ronya.jpg

Ex 182 owner
Well lots going on but slow progress.

Decided to crack on with arb refurb/bushes/whisbones so deceided to drop the subframe. And what a pig it is too to do on the drive on your own. Still taking my time as I have the luxury of it being a toy rather than a commuter.

Decided to do the clutch aswell as the subframe was off and the gearbox isnt that hard really once you have got this far.. Getting it back on however prooved more of a challenge as it had the clutch ever so slightly out of allignment. 4 attempts and one panakced hand later its back on.

Arb is stripped back and repainted and lacquared. I was worried about how i was going to get the paint right as i was spraying outside. Then gave myself a realitly check. Its an Arb.

Currently spraying up the wishbone supports. Decided to go Trophy Red. Few other bits tidied up.
Black Power Flex Polly bushes for arb/steering rack all ready to go. Along with the new wishbones. Load of new bolts inc the captive nuts that go inside the car which the subframe bolts too.

Still the Mist Jets mod is done and finshed. Much better.

Hopefully not off the road much longer as the weather is nice and my Ti 182 is still in Scotland, So no fun to be had here right now.

Ex 182 owner
So sunny weekend and she is back together. All subframe caged nuts and bolts replaced.

New clutch in
1657501676ad14712313e6a067ffc296_zpsco736gew.gif

ARB and few other bits tidyied up. ARB and steering rack all fitted out with powerflex black bushes. And new wishbones of course.
Few bits got a red detail.
35277ee6ec3ad88947502bd1588e30ae_zpspvnjmbhs.gif

84509987c37b3a47b128f13ebc4b68f2_zpslmzwvha1.gif

New elf gear box fluid and some new Renault type d coolant.

And some Ah fabrications/ stand birthday treat for a bit of bling.
fc88e3648666483bb5705d03b2872331_zpsu8b8dx9m.gif

Time to enjoy the sun.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Cars looking fantastic mate, a real credit to you.

I need to change my aerial base over, got any tips/a rough guide?

Ex 182 owner
Cheers @Akay
There are few threads on here which is all I read.
The main issue I found is
1. Bravery that your not about to snap the headlining when you have you hand in there with a socket. I though I had creased it but it did all actually bounce back.
2. There are more clips than you think holding the cable in place across the top and down the right handside to the where the parcel shelf sits. I tided a thin piece of string to pull out the old one with then be able to pull in the new one in.

Good luck.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Thanks @dablk, so I do have to thread the new aerial cable alllll the way through the car, fantastic!

Ex 182 owner
No mate. 1 part connects under the base. The other cable connects on the right hand side of the boot. I just means that when you disconnect the boot part, you cannot just pull it all the way out in 1 go as there are a few "guide" clips it wont pass thru and has to be unclipped from. Its not that bad TBH.

Ex 182 owner
June 2015
mileage 82777

Going well after all the refresh. Nice and tight. Back in with Blink in a few weeks to re track as it's now out. Not surprising with all the bushes which have been changed. All feels nice and tight. Time to stop taking it too bits and use it as intended.

447c9dfafdad5728bd6ff6b391ca1144_zpso0ephmfi.jpg

Next mods are all bought and sat in the loft. Just stopping myself doing them for now to enjoy the car.

Ex 182 owner
Cheers Andy, I hope your own rebuild is coming along. I would imagine you more than most can appreciate it's easy to get bogged down into the constant modding and never actually driving.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Andy, I hope your own rebuild is coming along. I would imagine you more than most can appreciate it's easy to get bogged down into the constant modding and never actually driving.
It's slow going but will get there :) I haven't driven my Clio in anger for over 2 years now mate :(

Ex 182 owner
Bit of sun and a few bits done.

Visited Blink once again to have it retracked after all the bushes etc where changed. Today was a handbrake cable swap as it was getting a little high. I knew one was wrong as it didn't sit in the proper channel in the fuel tank. Low and behold one had spacers and both had knots in them to shorten them.

Two nice new genuine renaults put in
N/S - 8200228347 O/S - 8200228260.

Also the new rear Sachs have arrived. So will wait for a sunny day for those.

Ex 182 owner
18/07/2015 82912 - Mot failed on parking brake. oh the irony of having just swapped the cables anyway Swapped the caliper out
and
01/08/2015 Happy days 82980 - Nice new 12month Mot with no advisories.

Next sunny evening and it will be time to fit the new rear sachs.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
New rears make a world of difference.

Honestly couldn't believe how much it improved the rear end.

Ex 182 owner
Bit of hoovering and a rub under the bonnet. Figuered a bit of work on the crash guard everytime should get it comming along.

F35D76AD-5E3C-4099-B777-369FF0E53F62_zps6ouw5ek7.jpg

5mm spacers on order to try with the brembo converstion. Will see if its enough.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Car is looking good mate.

Quick question, that piggy back fuse add-on - Could that be used for anything as long as you can find a permanent live ? I'm after another cigarette socket for my in car DVR. Its a brand new car so dont want to cut any wires. :/

Ex 182 owner
Cheers Sam,
Its not my strong point TBH. I took advice from the forum. I am thinking its a switched live that one as the SPA is only once the ignition is turned on. It did offer me, as you say, a clean solution to not chopping wires.

Chris

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers Sam,
Its not my strong point TBH. I took advice from the forum. I am thinking its a switched live that one as the SPA is only once the ignition is turned on. It did offer me, as you say, a clean solution to not chopping wires.

Chris
Definitely. Ive just ordered one for my dash cam.
Glad i seen this thread!

Ex 182 owner
Well theres nothing like being laid up with a knackered back to get your internet price hunting shop on.
After I ditched the red mats, I threw some s/h RS ones in. However they were deffinatley letting the side down after the wheel was fitted so these arrived today...
F97740BE-4F79-4278-9C0A-6EF0E658F318_zpsx0ufxnpm.jpg

283mm Brembo converstion is now complete and ready to be measured up for milling/spacer checking as soon as I am. In the mean time will have to find somthing else to refreash that doesnt involve a trolley jack.

Ex 182 owner
Cheers @Filters
Yeah it's all manageable stuff right now. I would want to rebuild the engine to perfect factory standard before I did anything to it. So that side of things is years away financialy.

All the best
Chris

Ex 182 owner
Hi Andy(@SharkyUK ),
Nah had some nerves deocompressed in my lower back so not able to do much real work. Got bored and took the upper inlet off, a strut brace helps alot when having to lean on an engine ;). Anyway had my own mini sharkyuk trophy momment. Wanted to do a bit of DIY polishing to the inlet so went to lightly, and I do mean lightly pull the map sensor out..it snapped lol. Wasnt even worth swearing about. Just got another order up at stupid expense... so many things I would have rather bought.

Anyway the upgrades are stacking due to not being able to do much.
Brand new rear shocks
Brembos line up for milling/spacer calculations.
Plugs/leads/coil/gaskets all ready once I have tided up manifold
Got two spare gearsticks incoming. one is a Dpa fast road shifter. the other is standard. I picked up a Richbrook knob to "try". Not sold on the idea yet. Unusal for one of my mods to not havea frim plan so not prepared to just destroy my current gear knob to try fitting it. So will swap the whole unit out and either try the fast road or just fit a spare gearstick assembly with the Richbrook.
Got a couple of engine bits coming in to get powdered to tidy up the bay a bit.
Picked up a set of very cheap 182 door cards to tidy up. Keep swinging betwen standard trophy door cards and posh 182
Sportlines have arrived to go with my swap out 182 cup shocks. Have plans to diy refurb the cosmetics at least of my sachs over the winter.

All Good Fun but the real shame..its not being driven right now.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Let me know which one you go for and il buy the other off you! Cant decide between richbrook gear knob of the dpa.

Ex 182 owner
Hi @Akay , the one fitted to the dpa thats coming is just a standard. Its a 2nd hand kit i jumped on yesterday. If i dont go for the richbrook i will let you know. The slant top seems to be hard to get hold off these days. Random online london tuning shop had one still on the shelf.

Ex 182 owner
So with the help of a mate to do all the actual graft. I could get used to just doing the last bit with the torque wrench ;)
New plugs, Magnecor leads and a new coil pack are now in, with a new map sensor due to the mishap.
Also found a bit of oil on top of plug No.4 and around vvt solenoid. New seal replaced along with upper inlet manifold gasket and egg shaped gasket for good measure.
Started to polish up the inlet manifold runners while it had been off as well. Like the crash guard will just do a bit of that at a time.

Fast Road shifter arrived today thanks to @Fantom so that can join the other mods in waiting.

Ex 182 owner
  Ex 182 owner
83,500 (ish)
A day out to Long Eaton and thanks to @MicKPM , 120 now has new belts, dephaser, and water pump. Basically I took the decision to only ever mod a 2nd engine on a bench and untill that gets done in 300 years time.. Will just enjoy a well running car and not have to tweek this engine again hopefully for a long time. So belts done early but 1st time in my owenrship. Its 120's 4th set!
On the way home
3rd up to 70mph was Excellent
4th up to 70mph was Excellent
5th up to 70mph was Excellent
:)
Very happy, few little bits pointed out by Mick to crack on with. It was uttley worth the 190mile round trip for his work and advice.

Ex 182 owner
Yes Mick,
3rd gear is now much more amusing on the b roads. "Timing" was definatley "Right"to get things done in my car plan time line.

...missing oil plate bolt sourced and already fitted as per advisories. ;)

Clio Trophy
hows it going with lowered seats? i am still tempted, but do not fancey spending that much if i dont like the height

Ex 182 owner
Lowered seat is great, especially with the sportsters adding more height than the trendlines and being 6ft2
For me it's transformed the car.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi,
Im 6'1 and found with the regular Recaro mounts meant I sat quite high. It was still acceptable sitting that high.
With the lower ones I am now sitting perfectly and quite low. I also removed the 8mm plastic spacers.
Trophy Recaro mounts are 10mm higher than oem Recaro mounts. I believe Jon's 'low' ones are 30mm lower than oem ones.

Ex 182 owner
So the first sat in months thats i have
1. not had a knackered back
2. not been busy
3. not been raining..

So after the trip to @MicKPM for nice new belts and real revs. A few bits to sort. New stupid clip under the bonnet that holds the water pipe was broken after my windscreen jet swap. Clip which holds the a/c pipe to the drivers light area had to be sacrificed for the belts last week. Sorted. Front lambda re clipped to the subframe to keep it away from the exhaust on Micks advice. And what a pig that was to do. Missing heat sheild sourced and mounted.

Thanks to Megan and Jamie @M172Cup I picked up a set of air box brackets and remounted the original box with a nice new filter. The Fatty was fun but just decided I wanted a proper box back in the car. Megan, I hope Jamies build is coming along.
Nice new standard filter for starters, Perhaps think about exotics later.
5A5B0705-83D6-4E75-BA5D-256F42CB3138_zpsyibmw5hc.jpg

Finally on @Tommo. advice I sprayed the new sachs rear shocks in some wax spray from Bilt Hammer as I had noticed that for some reasons the shocks from Sachs seem really suffer from rust. Again my hyper clean spray booth was used.
B3DD43EA-EB04-41A9-8986-88688F0408B7_zpsuiasbfuq.jpg

The Trophy Sachs dont come with any new mounting kit so I picked up a set of unused 182 cup rears to nick the bits from.
865968E2-ABBB-45B0-9889-F6B260FA8AC1_zpspgep598w.jpg

So finally at last.. 120 has sachs all around..
9BE8E30F-2ED9-4886-9917-168DB062C72B_zpsielj4yhp.jpg

... then there was even enough time left to hammer 120 sensless for a few hours... amazingly after the trip to Micks my fuel gauge seems to not drop to the floor so quickly even after 70 miles of noise. And the heater panel lights have started to work. Got to love french electrics.