ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy prices - lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  330i. E30 Touring.
Cheers mate, but in all honesty I would of much preferred to keep the Trophy!

I don't think CSF17 will be the same in the Impreza... 😞

As a sidenote, when was the cambelt last done on the engine from the T? (;

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trophies will always be worth a lot as they are seen as the ultimate car from what was seen as the golden age of hot hatches, where they had large power outputs thanks to modern injection and engine management technology, but were properly lightweight because they didn't have such stringent safety regulations, and drove in a raw, addictive manner.

The Ultimate car? give over.
They weren't even the ultimate Clio for f***s sake
It was an end of model celebration of what already was a decent hot hatch at the time, they hardly re-invented the wheel with it.

They are collecting cars, not restoring them.

Some of the people we get in work would not even entertain a car on the non factory spec tyres let alone one that has missed a service or has a non original spec.

We are not dealing with the average car buyer, we are dealing with collectors. The two are worlds apart.
And those collectors are the ones that will pay whatever it takes to get a certain car in their garage.

Are people really comparing a Trophy to a Ferrari, Aston Martin or luxury Land Rover?
They really aren't the same.
I just don't see the same people going for a Clio personally, especially a Trophy which was essentially just a lazy limited run model with a few decent bits from the parts bin thrown at it.

If a proper car collector is going to put a early 2000's French Hot Hatch in their collection there's one very obvious thing they will be looking at.

Renault-Clio-V6-2000_04.jpg

b2f41e5eca45756ced6495816c7077dd.jpg

What sort of total trumpet looks past those and decides to spend the same money on this??

wb8bjm.jpg

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I think in the early 2000's the clio was definitely the best of the small hot hatches. And I think the Trophy (standard) is the best of the bunch (ignoring the V6 as it's a completely different kettle of fish). The V6 will always be worth more, but at the same time, it's not even slightly what a hot hatch is about. Don't get me wrong though, I do love them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It was an end of model celebration of what already was a decent hot hatch at the time, they hardly re-invented the wheel with it.

Are people really comparing a Trophy to a Ferrari, Aston Martin or luxury Land Rover?
I just don't see the same people going for a Clio personally, especially a Trophy which was essentially just a lazy limited run model with a few decent bits from the parts bin thrown at it.

If a proper car collector is going to put a early 2000's French Hot Hatch in their collection there's one very obvious thing they will be looking at.

What sort of total trumpet looks past those and decides to spend the same money on this??

wb8bjm.jpg
You're making yourself sound a bit stupid now.

The fact that some of these trophy's have sold for £17/18/19k lately proves that people DO want them and are paying that amount.

I'm not entirely sure who you're trying to argue with?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A lot of subjective opinions in here are fairly moot. Whether people think a Trophy is or isn't worth £20k is largely irrelevant. Objectively, if one person sells at that price and another buys then that car is worth that much to both of those people. You simply cannot argue against that.
This is CS. They'd argue with a plate of beans.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You're making yourself sound a bit stupid now.

The fact that some of these trophy's have sold for £17/18/19k lately proves that people DO want them and are paying that amount.

I'm not entirely sure who you're trying to argue with?

Sorry but where did they sell?? Was it at a big classics auction or something?

I know it's been mentioned a few times but no-one's actually said who or where.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member

wb8bjm.jpg

You really don't like Trophy's do you!?

Is it because...

A. Did one beat you in the 'twisties'?
B. You can't afford one?
C. You hate the colour red?

This list I'm sure could go on, and on!

End of the day it's a bloody awesome version of an awesome car! Regardless of whether it has 'Motorsport Pedigree' or all that other b****cks! Most cars of that type are owned by utter morons that just dream of residual values.

I hope these cars continue to be used as intended rather than wrapped in cotton wool and looked at!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Differing of opinion, merley, oor Daniel.

Claiming That a car isn't worth £xyz when one or more has sold for £xyz is arguing with fact.

For the record, I'd rather spend £20k on a decent car rather than a 2.0 clio, but you cannot argue with what's happened.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Is it because...

B. You can't afford one?

End of the day it's a bloody awesome version of an awesome car! Regardless of whether it has 'Motorsport Pedigree' or all that other b****cks! Most cars of that type are owned by utter morons that just dream of residual values.

I hope these cars continue to be used as intended rather than wrapped in cotton wool and looked at!

I think they're quite nice, I don't know why that colour wasn't an option from day 1 it's lovely.
I've just never understood the cult of value that follows them around, it seems to defy logic.

Is the Megane trophy held in such high regard?
Is it something to look out with the current 220T Trophy?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189

Is it because...

B. You can't afford one?

I have had mine near on 8 years and still find excuses to drive my round the block or to the local shops, absolutely love driving the bloody thing, even when it makes the usual French car rattles, knocks and squeaks!

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Cheers mate, but in all honesty I would of much preferred to keep the Trophy!

I don't think CSF17 will be the same in the Impreza... 😞

Most definately, I certainly have learnt over the years that money cannot replace love!

RenaultSport clio 18
If I had the money and I could find an example of an absolute favourite from my past and with the right provenance..........
There could just be someone out there.
What price do you attach to regret on having sold something you cherished? Or on nostalgia even?
As a non trophy, but ff, owner from new, I am not going to make the same mistake by selling it even though it isn't pulling at the heartstrings quite like the car I offloaded in order to buy it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Claiming That a car isn't worth £xyz when one or more has sold for £xyz is arguing with fact.

For the record, I'd rather spend £20k on a decent car rather than a 2.0 clio, but you cannot argue with what's happened.

I'm not arguing that, i'm arguing its ridiculous whether they sell at that money or not.

Did the one in the OP acually achieve that money?

In honesty, its the first i've seen advertised at anything over 10k since someone was pretending to sell theirs, to make a point.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm not arguing that, i'm arguing its ridiculous whether they sell at that money or not.

Did the one in the OP acually achieve that money?

In honesty, its the first i've seen advertised at anything over 10k since someone was pretending to sell theirs, to make a point.

Is it me or is the OP link a beemer?

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I was looking at an old Norton that did that after I sent a message to enquire about an ad I found for the same bike a couple of years ago. Had a look through his other listings and a lot of things where the facts didn't quite add up.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Old Ford = Money Always has, looks like it always will.

Not saying a concourse Trophy isn't worth a decent amount of wedge, but £20K or anywhere near is f**king mental.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
In fairness the quality of the car means zero about the value.

I personally never saw the Trophy as special enough. Maybe in 20 years rareness will help but you can make a 182 a Trophy too easily and that's the difference imo.

Clio Trophy + GT3
but you can make a 182 a Trophy too easily and that's the difference imo.
But you just can't can you?
You might very well modify other Clio models to the same, or better performing spec, but it's never going to be one of the 500 made unless it is actually a Trophy.
I'm a very new Trophy owner. I'm not offended by the sellers asking strong money for low mileage minters. They either will make that money or they won't. Why get upset about it?
If they do, I'm actually pretty happy as it won't do the value of my 81k miles car any harm at all. I bought mine to drive it AND with an eye to potentially gaining a bit of value over the next 5 years or so. I'm only going to drive for fun, so I'm not going to add many miles.
More fun than an ISA.
I just wish I'd bought a few years ago.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
One trackday at Cadwell back in 2006 at least three got written off during the day, bit of a dent to the 501.
I had 187 for three & half years, did 17K, about 20 trackdays.
Still got the original Evo mags etc from when I decided to go for one.
Somewhere there is a photo of all the Trophy's at Renault World Series held at Donington all the way from red gate down to the old hairpin.
Regarding the low mileage minters, how low can they be, mine was very low back in 2009?
I know that when I had mine several of the owners just used them purely for trackdays & some of them were on 12k

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
1986! f**k me the Trophy is old! Maybe they are worth a few quid!

cup 182
A thing that always irked me is car enthusiasts of all makes that boast about low mileage! technically you buy your dream car for example you have always wanted then store it away to look at for years scared to put miles on it, how is that an enthusiast? You would want to drive it as much as you can surely! unless your only interested in future investment which to me is a complete waste of a car, and makes you a collector, cars were made to be driven and enjoyed in my view, not collected and stored away, a real shame.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
A thing that always irked me is car enthusiasts of all makes that boast about low mileage! technically you buy your dream car for example you have always wanted then store it away to look at for years scared to put miles on it, how is that an enthusiast? You would want to drive it as much as you can surely! unless your only interested in future investment which to me is a complete waste of a car, and makes you a collector, cars were made to be driven and enjoyed in my view, not collected and stored away, a real shame.
No offence but I think you think like that because you're poor.

If money was no object and you had a 200 car garage with some cars worth £1m on their own, you'd have enough money to chase ownership of the worlds rarest models. You'd be a car enthusiast, but you'd enthusiastically collect them, and maybe you would drive them but maybe you wouldn't.

I'm not saying Russian oligarchs are buying these Trophys at the top of the market but to not be able to see someone else's opinion smacks of ignorance. Some people get as much joy from looking at, or even just knowing they own a car as others get from driving it. And if you're the kind of voyeuristic enthusiast then you're going to want these 'relative' low mileage and low owner cars, and if you've got the money then you'll consider paying it.

If you haven't got all the money in the world then you'll just shout lunacy.

To each his own.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Valid points there. When I had a slowly rotting r5 in my drive it didn't move for over a year, but every time I saw it I smiled. I aint no millionaire but if I had the cash to buy a car from my past I'd get the best one I could. It wouldn't be my daily but I'd be all warm inside just knowing I had it tucked away.

Clio Trophy,Clio 172
Valid points there. When I had a slowly rotting r5 in my drive it didn't move for over a year, but every time I saw it I smiled. I aint no millionaire but if I had the cash to buy a car from my past I'd get the best one I could. It wouldn't be my daily but I'd be all warm inside just knowing I had it tucked away.

Absolutely spot on!

As others have said, i dont get it, it's not special enough to command these prices (imo of course, the people buying them must think differently!) Its just a red 182 cup with recaro option ticked and nice suspension

Clio Trophy + GT3
Its just a red 182 cup with recaro option ticked and nice suspension

and a ###/500 numbered plaque, which of course makes bugger all difference to how it drives, but as much as the naysayers refuse to accept, does make the it a more desirable (and hence more valuable) car to those that want a limited edition version.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
and a ###/500 numbered plaque, which of course makes bugger all difference to how it drives, but as much as the naysayers refuse to accept, does make the it a more desirable (and hence more valuable) car to those that want a limited edition version.

It does, I don't think anyone is arguing it doesn't.

How much is the bone of contention, is it really a 20 grand car???

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How many times?

If someone sells and someone else buys, then yes, it is.

Sure, I see the people asking that money but I don't see anyone buying, unless the one in the OP magically sold in one day????
My crusty old boxers are worth 10 grand if someone will just stump up the money for it.

and if I follow your logic, just because one car sells at 20 grand doesn't mean other cars are worth that either.
A car (singular) is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
These cars (group of) have a normal price range.

Clio 182 Trophy
Sure, I see the people asking that money but I don't see anyone buying, unless the one in the OP magically sold in one day????
My crusty old boxers are worth 10 grand if someone will just stump up the money for it.

and if I follow your logic, just because one car sells at 20 grand doesn't mean other cars are worth that either.
A car (singular) is worth whatever someone will pay for it.
These cars (group of) have a normal price range.
But the advert here for a £20k Trophy isn't saying all 500 cars are worth £20k, it's one of them.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.