ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trying to get my head around CSS!! AAARRRRGH!!

306 TD Slut
Re: trying to get my head around CSS!! AAARRRRGH!!!!!

makes me wonder what you typed i to search for that lol. wanking over laptops?

LOL. Not quite, I've seen the site before and I remembered it was called something like hardware pron. 2nd in Google's listing.

I almost put wanking over laptop into google, but then I thought better not, I might not want to see what's returned:dead:.

Honda S2000

I actually clicked on the link!! oh dear god, girls with network equipment haha. Why had you seen the site before.... hmm maybe there is money to be made though.. I have a laptop and a couple of pcs lying about. Hopefully it'll be good and there will be other non geeky types.

I got it free because the government fund us to go on courses for some reason. I've got to do a few more but they're not over nighters.

306 TD Slut

craig/anyone, in flash, do you know how i can get my movie to play once then stay on screen? and not loop?

cheers mate

Kelly_ said:
I actually clicked on the link!! oh dear god, girls with network equipment haha. Why had you seen the site before.... hmm maybe there is money to be made though.. I have a laptop and a couple of pcs lying about. Hopefully it'll be good and there will be other non geeky types.

I got it free because the government fund us to go on courses for some reason. I've got to do a few more but they're not over nighters.

I get at least 10 emails a day from all different sites with various weird s**t on them. Nothing seedy going on! lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

furry_cup said:
craig/anyone, in flash, do you know how i can get my movie to play once then stay on screen? and not loop?

cheers mate

you need to add a 'stop' action to your last frame. right click your last frame, and click 'actions' then look in the list. choose global actions, timeline control, then double click the stop command.

306 TD Slut

i'm trying to insert a little drop down menu on my page with a list of catalogues which are available to veiw online.

is there default code i can copy for a basic drop down menu box etc? or is there an option in dreamweaver to go about this?

furry_cup said:
i'm trying to insert a little drop down menu on my page with a list of catalogues which are available to veiw online.

is there default code i can copy for a basic drop down menu box etc? or is there an option in dreamweaver to go about this?
you mean like a select list?

Code:
<select name="xxx" id="xxx">
<option value="cat1">Catalogue 1</option>
<option value="cat1">Catalogue 2</option>
</select>

306 TD Slut

indeedy :)

how would i link each catalogue to a _blank page then? they are pdf's.

thanks mate

furry_cup said:
indeedy :)

how would i link each catalogue to a _blank page then? they are pdf's.

thanks mate

depends, are you having a 'Go' button or are they going to automatically link when you select one?

You'll be using javascript then...

Code:
function openNew(s) {
    var url = s.options[s.selectedIndex].value;
    var newWin = window.open(url,"window_name","width=600,height=400,toolbar=0,directories=0,menubar=0,status=0,resizable=0,location=0,scrollbars=1,copyhistory=0")
    newWin.window.focus();    
}
stick that in your head tag with appropiate script tags or your external js file. You can change the look and feel with the attributes in the 'window.open' line
Code:
<select name="xxx" id="xxx" onchange="return openNew(this);">
<option value="http://www.google.com">google</option>
<option value="http://www.yahoo.com">yahoo</option>
</select>
stick that whereever you want to place the list

306 TD Slut

ill give it a go at work tomorrow.. looks scary.. cheers mate

306 TD Slut

whats a head tag?

ive never used javascript before for anything. where do i put the first code?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

the head tag is the head of the webpage

<html>
<head>
head content goes here i.e javascript
</head>
<body>
body content goes here
</body>
</html>

i always create a new JS file with the code in, then link to it in the header.

<script type="text/javascript" src="javascript/nameoffile.js"></script>

306 TD Slut

is it easier to have a go button then? i cent seem to get my head around this.

306 TD Slut

right. ive managed to get it to work, but i dont want the links to open up in an unresizable window. just a normal new blank page.

how do i edit the attributes? etc..

cheers

Honda S2000

Did I tell you about that course I went on... 2 days of CSS. It was actually quite good I hate to say and I actually bonded with the other geeks! True some had the social skills of a camel but it was ok. They gave me alot of sample files which are really good. I'll send them to you if you want.

306 TD Slut

see! told you it would be okay! sounds good, i doubt my company would pay for me to do something like that as im only on a 6months contract. You were lucky enough to get it free!

If you could send them then that would be great thanks. :)

mark.simons@yahoo.co.uk

oh and cheers for the help above guys. i managed to sort it by replacing the 0 values with 1's in the attributes etc.. and set the initially selected etc..

furry_cup said:
right. ive managed to get it to work, but i dont want the links to open up in an unresizable window. just a normal new blank page.

how do i edit the attributes? etc..

cheers
set 0s to 1s etc

EDIT: oops just saw your last post.

306 TD Slut

172.com said:
You'll be using javascript then...

Code:
function openNew(s) {
    var url = s.options[s.selectedIndex].value;
    var newWin = window.open(url,"window_name","width=600,height=400,toolbar=0,directories=0,menubar=0,status=0,resizable=0,location=0,scrollbars=1,copyhistory=0")
    newWin.window.focus();    
}
stick that in your head tag with appropiate script tags or your external js file. You can change the look and feel with the attributes in the 'window.open' line
Code:
<select name="xxx" id="xxx" onchange="return openNew(this);">
</select>
stick that whereever you want to place the list

hello again! wonder if u could put me in the right direction.

the above code all works fine and is in use on the website, customised a bit tho to suit my site.

i want to use more drop down menus but on different pages of my site. but i dont want them to use the same settings as the first dop down menu i.e opening in a new window, id like it to open in the current one. i'd also like the boxs to be smaller etc..

basically. if i add other drop down box into another page of my site, will it use the same linked file as the first box? and have the same attributes? i want different sized drop down menus thoughout my site, so how do i personalise the .js file for each menu?

Code:
<select name="xxx" id="xxx" onchange="location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">
</select>
That will open in the same window.

The size of the select list is dependant on two factors; 1) the amount of text in the option text, 2) a width specified on the select or in CSS.

E90

172.com said:
Code:
<select name="GEEK" id="UBERGEEK" onchange="location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].GEEKS">
<option value="http://www.Geek.com">Geek</option>
<option value="http://www.g33k.com">g33k</option>
</select>

Try that

Weeman said:
LOL, pays well though ;). Actually it doesn't or else I wouldn't be driving a clio, I like to pretend it does though.

306 TD Slut

shut it pin dick!!

cheers 172! worked a treat, u know of any good tutorial sites with stuff like that? so i can leanrn to right my own and give it its own settings values etc..

furry_cup said:
shut it pin dick!!

cheers 172! worked a treat, u know of any good tutorial sites with stuff like that? so i can leanrn to right my own and give it its own settings values etc..
Sometimes http://www.w3schools.com/ can be quite good. I occasionally use it as a reference site, when I forget exact syntax.

306 TD Slut

i know about that site, but doesnt really give tutorials, it just shows written code etc.. i want to know and learn to do it myself etc..

how do you subheadings in your drop down menu i.e in the drop down list it will be like this:

--Clios--
--Megane--
--Laguna--

clio, megane and laguna are links as well as the engine sizes.

or similar.

edit: just realized i am being a complete r****d lol, dont wiorry about the above.

Last edited:

2 ways. 1st -
Code:
<option value="#">--Clio--</option>
<option value="blah">1.2</option>
<option value="blah">1.4</option>
<option value="#">--Megane--</option>
<option value="blah">1.8</option>
 <option value="blah">2.0</option>
2nd -
Code:
<optgroup label="--Clio--">
<option value="blah">1.2</option>
<option value="blah">1.4</option>
</optgroup>
<optgroup label="--Megane--">
 <option value="blah">1.8</option>
  <option value="blah">2.0</option>
</optgroup

306 TD Slut

^^cheers for that matey.

i want one drop down menu to only have one option on it. called "Pan & Tilt" but i also want it to be the initially selected (the one that shows when the drop down menu is not being used)

Code:
</select>
     <select name="pandrop" id="pandrop" onchange="location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">
    <option selected="selected">Pan &amp; Tilt</option>
    </select>

thats what it looks like at the mo. i cant seem to link that pan & tilt with a link to another page..?

any help is appreciated.

furry_cup said:
^^cheers for that matey.

i want one drop down menu to only have one option on it. called "Pan & Tilt" but i also want it to be the initially selected (the one that shows when the drop down menu is not being used)

Code:
</select>
     <select name="pandrop" id="pandrop" onchange="location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value">
    <option selected="selected">Pan &amp; Tilt</option>
    </select>
thats what it looks like at the mo. i cant seem to link that pan & tilt with a link to another page..?

any help is appreciated.
You have no value="" in there. Plus with it being initially selected, not sure how it'll handle automatically going to the link as there's possibly no event. Try it with the value, but you might have to put a --select-- at the top so it causes an event when an option is selected.

306 TD Slut

thanks mate. i'll give it a go tomorrow.

at the mo ive just made a link below saying pan and tilt.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

hope we get to see the finished site once its done :D

306 TD Slut

its nearly finished, another 20-30 pages to go aarrrgh!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

20-30 pages to go...hope ya getting paid well!! lol!

306 TD Slut

theyre only individual spec sheet pages can do about 4 a day.

and no.. lol.. not getting paid well. im going to try and learn as much as possible from my experience at my current job (and all the help you guys given me) then want to work for myself etc..

im having problems with the site working in Firefox, it wont line up etc.. the index seems to be okayish in terms of positioning but there are small problems, gaps in wrong places. Every other page other than index is completely messed up in Firefox.

Here is the link to the test site you an see for yourself what the errors are!!

www.smc-comms.com/test

Any ideas what i can do? (i cant get the CSS at the mo as im at home)

i also cant get the other pages to be centered.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

ill have a look for u pal....im a tad busy at work at mo, but ill have a bootchers and get back to ya.