ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo project!!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
We're not knocking his work (excuse the bad pun), well, i'm not anyway. I give the dude credit for doing it all himself, but sh*t happens.

My point is that... that is bottom end releted noise, if you rebuild the head, and the head alone, you'll cause more trouble, piss good money up the wall and it won't solve the overall problem. :(

Start from the bottom, up. IMO, anyway.

Fair play for doing it all yourself too, there's not enough home brewed modifying on here. All projects have set-backs... and TBH, it makes them more interesting to read. :eek:

Seriously though mate, best of luck!

You know where i am if you needto get the ECU out again. ;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
gutted mate must be worst feeeling in the world

all the best

RB 182 Cup
Going to die very soon that engine. When my b16 gained an oil leak, i drove for about a mile max before i pulled over and it sounded just like this (lawn mower). Oil changed it then the next day it seized. Bottom end went as lack of oil

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Ryan....have you had a mains cap off yet to have a look at it??

Post pics of the big end bearings if you dont mind.

Dont listen to all the negative comments about doing it yourself & rushing it - fair play for doing so as its the ONLY way to learn is to do it yourself - mistakes happen & you learn more from them - it will be back bigger & better next time. Unless I'm missing something I cant see how a hose splitting is your fault unless it was installed incorrectly. It could of been worse though - hot oil could of ended up on hot exhaust which could of spelt one melted Clio!! Chin up son.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Bet the hose wouldnt have been faulty if everything was done properly. What other forums did u post on? Assuming these wernt Clio ones, at a guess one is the Zetec S one?? ahah what they know

If u would have spent an extra 2k on getting a proper job done, i gaurente you wouldnt have had 1 problem, instead of running a 230bhp rig up, sorry all the problems uve had, i wouldnt even dare to spend 5k on a turbo
Eh? what are you on about this is the first problem iv ever had with the car and its not even part of the conversion it was put on after.

320d
Is the car not running then ryan? i was going to try and conscript you to a mini meet today because i'm bored.

Parts ordered yesterday here on mon. Boost controller will be here soon dunno if i will have controller on for the track day. Lightened crank shaft too should be all fixed for wednesday. Give up listening to what any of you lot say bout me doing the work i dint make the pipe. This isnt the first car iv dont this sort of thing to iv had engines blow pistons shatter, valves bend, bigends collaps etc. This int a new problem if i cant sort it for track i have a fiesta i can use thats a tiny bit slower than a 182 thats had bodys etc put on it. Got to watch that one though it might fall apart i did it.

I will be on track on Friday even if I'm not in mine. I always make a benefit out of my cars braking lol

VRS
what set up have you got on the fezzy ryan? i past your old clio yesterday on middlewich road, is it still yours or a mates? i didnt see who was driving?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's his Dad's now, still has all the mods on though

If it's the Fiesta that i think... it's running Jenvey ITB's, Omex and cams... i think.

what set up have you got on the fezzy ryan? i past your old clio yesterday on middlewich road, is it still yours or a mates? i didnt see who was driving?
its my dads clio now :) fiesta has got jenvey throttle body's,ss4 cams, omx ecu with few other bits. Its putting out 165 bhp from a naturally aspirated 1.6 zetec-s

f**ked ph1 172
glad you have decided to redo the bottom end, it will make you feel better knowing you checked it, and redid it. rather than hoping it'll be ok.

glad you have decided to redo the bottom end, it will make you feel better knowing you checked it, and redid it. rather than hoping it'll be ok.
I never did hope it wil be ok lol im checking everything :)

#001 172 Exclusive
Parts ordered yesterday here on mon. Boost controller will be here soon dunno if i will have controller on for the track day. Lightened crank shaft too should be all fixed for wednesday. Give up listening to what any of you lot say bout me doing the work i dint make the pipe. This isnt the first car iv dont this sort of thing to iv had engines blow pistons shatter, valves bend, bigends collaps etc. This int a new problem if i cant sort it for track i have a fiesta i can use thats a tiny bit slower than a 182 thats had bodys etc put on it. Got to watch that one though it might fall apart i did it.

money well spent!! Evo 7 springs to mind!!
The bit about engines blowin pistons?? is that mats when you did it the first time? then cost you 10k to put back on the road????

R5 GTT

We have fun we upgrade and we re-build thats were all the fun is, you love it then you hate it (the car that is). This is how you learn and knowledge is power, plenty of peeps on here and other forums boast about tuners doing this tuners (not saying anything wrong with tuners) doing that but where is the fun in that at least once you put it together yourself you can take a step back and go I done that and have big f**k off smile on your face and if things go wrong which sometimes it does happen you can be confident enough to do it yourself again.

Top job Ryan brilliant thread matey. Keep up the good work.

money well spent!! Evo 7 springs to mind!!
The bit about engines blowin pistons?? is that mats when you did it the first time? then cost you 10k to put back on the road????
No mats has never done that. His cam belt went

Found what the problem is. Cylinder one shell has melted over heated and melted the plastic cover thats in the sump. The rest of the pistons are ok so sub frame off in a min then tomorrow gearbox will be coming off and crank.

Got some pics of the damage :s

DSC_0294.jpg

Melted :s
DSC_0296.jpg

changed colour coz of the heat
DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

ValverInBits
Munch. I'll not be eating my hat then.

well done mate. Would it not be easier just to whip the engine out for all this?

Munch. I'll not be eating my hat then.

well done mate. Would it not be easier just to whip the engine out for all this?
Would but not when its all in bits now lol would have to put it back together to get it out lol

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Ryan - what do the mains look like then if the big ends are that mullered!!??

Mark One - it was a foregone conclusion summat like that was going to have suffered really!!! Least he decided to listen to us! LOL!

f**ked ph1 172
it'll need heat treating to re-temper it due to the heat it's sustained it will have weakened.

so you've realised now that all of us saying that the bottom end was knocking and the bottom end is mullered, we were correct?

fair play to the build, and correct it wasnt your fault it happened. but it doesn't hurt to listen to some advice given to you :)

f**ked ph1 172
right big ends are fine iv had them off and no damage at all the turbo is fine too. 7 of the lifters have collapsed. As for me doing the job im still glad i did it coz fixing car has cost me nothing it was a burst hose on the oil cooler nothing to do with the conversion. As for rushing the job nick it took 2 weeks it takes k-tec 2 weeks to do the work so does that mean they rush it.

but on an earlier note, you said they were ok as you had them off?

ValverInBits
the crank may also require re-hardening as the hardening processes used don't penetrate, they are just on the surface.
I'd just go for a new crank, as difficult as it may be to source.
That or give it to a really good engineering company WITH your rods and shells and have them check THE LOT.

it'll need heat treating to re-temper it due to the heat it's sustained it will have weakened.

so you've realised now that all of us saying that the bottom end was knocking and the bottom end is mullered, we were correct?

fair play to the build, and correct it wasnt your fault it happened. but it doesn't hurt to listen to some advice given to you :)
Well it don't take brain of Britain to know it was bottom end even my grandma thought it was that. The top end was part of the problem 2 the roller had come off no one said anything about that i could have done all the bottom and come to that an started car to find it brake again

the crank may also require re-hardening as the hardening processes used don't penetrate, they are just on the surface.
I'd just go for a new crank, as difficult as it may be to source.
That or give it to a really good engineering company WITH your rods and shells and have them check THE LOT.
New crank lmao thats not going to happen just needs regrinding

A

ashy_gtt

Well it don't take brain of Britain to know it was bottom end even my grandma thought it was that.

So did you listen to her in the end?

I would swap the crank for a good one Ryan, and I would pull the engine out to do it (gearbox off job). That engine needs a full re-build or you will be forever taking it to bits!

So did you listen to her in the end?

I would swap the crank for a good one Ryan, and I would pull the engine out to do it (gearbox off job). That engine needs a full re-build or you will be forever taking it to bits!
Ye taking engine out later im going to do some other bits too.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Proper munched! Told ya ;)

That's gotten rather toasty on your drive home then!

I think you'll find more surprises once you strip it down fully... :(

M

mini-valver

I'd check the oil pump too, if it's been starved of oil, that'll look similar to that shell :(