ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turning a dci in a sport rep

clio 172 cup
looking at trading my cup in for a dci at my local garage as i need a cheap run about its in silver and theres a local cup in silver being broken as belt has snapped and only wants 500 for whole car just wondering what size spacers i need or how easy it is to just drop the subframe from the cup onto the dci?

also on side not what do i need to be looking out for on the dci when i go to veiw it what are the cambelt intervals ect any common faults

Surely a 172 Cup is already a cheap runabout? Fair enough the dci will be cheaper, but I can't personally see the appeal of a car that looks like a 172 Cup but sounds and goes like a taxi. No offence. If money is a real factor then just get the dci and save yourself the time and money of making it look like something it isn't.

IMO.

clio 172 cup
It is cheap to run mid 30's but I now have new job which requires a 60 mile round trip each day and dci can achieve 60+ on motorway and alot of people have done it on here as then you get the looks and the economy and they hold the resale value well and for £500 id easily make it back selling of the bits o don't need and weighing the rest in so in effect its not costing me a penny

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mike woodford has a DCi sport rep, around town its great with all the low down torque (his isnt standard) and on a run down to mine to collect a cossie engine on friday he got 69MPG out of it.
400 odd miles round trip, so 6 gallon of fuel versus 10 in a sport, thats 25 quid or so on fuel saved in an evening.
If you are doing a lot of miles a remapped DCi makes a lot of sense.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not too fussed about the kit, you cant see it when driving anyway, but the interior makes it a lot nicer.

Might have one as my next runabout when my corsa dies. (although ive done 70K miles with no problems since I got it a couple of years ago so still go strong at the moment, lol)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mapped DCI's are awesome, by the time you paint your new panels etc then personally I wouldn't think its going to be worth it unless your doing it just purely because you want to! if it was me id just stick a decent suspension setup on it, tidy wheels and rubber, get it mapped and have some fun!!!

mine was rapid around town with 130bhp/190lbft! - big power map, koni dampers, eibach springs, brembo HC and DS2500 pads - job done!
img0614ez.jpg

clio 172 cup
the sport is same colour as the diesel if it involved painting i wouldnt do it but for simple fact its not going to cost a penny its hard to resist doing it.
Just shame i have to put my boosted cup idea on hold for time being as now i need a daily not very viable but the increase in wages means when i do it i can do it right the first time rather than on a tight budget and making compromises

clio 172 cup
Mike woodford has a DCi sport rep, around town its great with all the low down torque (his isnt standard) and on a run down to mine to collect a cossie engine on friday he got 69MPG out of it.
400 odd miles round trip, so 6 gallon of fuel versus 10 in a sport, thats 25 quid or so on fuel saved in an evening.
If you are doing a lot of miles a remapped DCi makes a lot of sense.

i understand whole point of dci is economy but what can be done in order to improve performance bar the remap without hurting the mpg to much?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
remap usually improves economy unless your driving it flat out everywhere!

it cant be the same colour unless one was painted, 172 cup was iceberg silver along with all other silver 172's, no non rs was this colour

clio 172 cup
ah maybe not then haha might have to keep my eye out for a pearl black instead :D they look 100 times better with the sport kit on it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i understand whole point of dci is economy but what can be done in order to improve performance bar the remap without hurting the mpg to much?

If its a dci then an intercooler will improve performance and economy a bit, but remap is the biggest thing you need, thats the only change that will make a massive difference and done right both will improve a lot.

Many.
Flame red is the same between DCi and sports, I plan to sport kit mine eventually.

Do the right thing and get a 80 or 100, ideally the latter but they aren't cheap or easy to find.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Flame red is the same between DCi and sports, I plan to sport kit mine eventually.

Do the right thing and get a 80 or 100, ideally the latter but they aren't cheap or easy to find.

65 and add an intercooler is fine too.

The 100 is a bit laggy IMHO, I actually prefer the 65/80

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
65 and add an intercooler is fine too.

The 100 is a bit laggy IMHO, I actually prefer the 65/80

65/80's are awesome with next to no lag, tuned up 80's fly around town!!!

I quite liked the laggyness on the 100 once mapped as it was followed with that big clutch breaking torque band! (mine did a clutch in no time lol)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
So what's the difference that makes the 100 laggy then? Different turbocharger?

DCI100
You can also remove the cat to help the turbo spool up quicker.

Yes I think the 100 does have a larger turbo. I don't really think its all that laggy to be honest. Perhaps a little but not excessive the power is good once spooled up though :)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
What i do notice with mine is when i shift it needs a second to boost again. But that could well be something mechanical not working properly anymore after 150k miles

DCI100
That's pretty standard, most likely just because when you shift you've dropped the exhaust gasses down cause you've taken your throttle off. So when you put your foot back down it takes a second to spool up properly :)

Get a decat and it will help majorly x