ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre preference for country lanes

Hey, my first post on here but have 'stalked' some valuable threads in the past!

My 172 cup is desperate for a new set of tyres and I'm stuck between 3 choices. I'm running an OE suspension set up and thrash the car around country lanes where I live in dry conditions.

The contenders -
Continental Sport Contact 3
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Uniroyal Rainsport 3

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm falling out with conti3s.

It may be tyre pressures being too high or my driving/speed improving but I've been finding them sketchy of late.

I have rain sport 3s on the front of the girlfriends civic and they're epic tbh. It may be because of it being a slower car but I love them so much I'm getting a set for the Clio when the time comes (just bought a second set of wheels for more focuses tyres). And a friend had rs3s on his ep3 and that covered ground lik nobody's business.

@Joe# rates pilot sports quite highly but I know they're the most expensive of the three tyres you've posted

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
I live out in the sticks and have bad roads and the ps3s have beenb best over uniroyals.

Thanks for the posts guys. Think I'm going to push the boat out and get the ps3s. I was tempted by the contis because I think that's what Renault originally fitted the cup with. A friend of mine who does track days with all kinds of cars bigged up uniroyal so just thought I'd gauge it on here. I used to run Hankooks on my 106 rallye, good tyre as well

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've been running Uniroyals on my 182 for a few years now . Rainsport 2's now Rainsports 3's . Where I live it rains alot . I can't fault them in the dry and in the wet they really give you the confidence to push on .
@Bensatreemonkey . In 172 guise 195 45 16's they're only £48.29 per corner delivered from tyreleader . They usually arrive in about 48 hours from time of order. That would be my choice anyway.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-195-45-16/?m[10]=on

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
If it helps, I swapped my rainsport 3's half way through for Pilot sport 3's and I have absolutely no regrets.

I couldn't get on with the rainsports due to the fact the car felt like it was going to roly poly around every single corner. These cars are all about the handling and feedback and putting those tyres just completely negate the point of owning our cars. No feedback for me whatsoever, however they were fairly grippy due to being soft. With the PS3's, the feedback is there and they seem to grip so well!

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Vredestein Cento. Great meduim priced tyre with relatively stiff sidewalls and good wet braking

I run goodyear agle assy 2 on my daily and uniroyal rainsports on the clio (15s so cant get the goodyears).

I've had allsorts in the past, but what I like about these is that theyre predictable. Sure the outright dry grip is less, but who is testing that on the public road? But find a puddle, or a damp patch under a tree, or whatever and they carry on, whereas some I've had in the past were great but went from fantastic to 'oh f**k' in the blink of an eye which isnt ideal on the road IMHO.

Oh for sure, they're not the best tyres mentioned in here by a long shot. But if the OP only 'thrashes' the car in the dry, on the road, they'll do, and they're cheap as hell.
Same price as rainsports and the difference is rainsports are good and cheap, toyos are just cheap.

Clio 172
I run goodyear agle assy 2 on my daily and uniroyal rainsports on the clio (15s so cant get the goodyears).

I've had allsorts in the past, but what I like about these is that theyre predictable. Sure the outright dry grip is less, but who is testing that on the public road? But find a puddle, or a damp patch under a tree, or whatever and they carry on, whereas some I've had in the past were great but went from fantastic to 'oh f**k' in the blink of an eye which isnt ideal on the road IMHO.

Same price as rainsports and the difference is rainsports are good and cheap, toyos are just cheap.

EXACTLY what I was going to write - for the same money as T1Rs, go RainSports, far superior tyres.

Going further, I do 12 Car rallies during the Winter (typically 45-50 mile navigational events on small country roads, timed at an average of 30mph). When it's relatively dry and not many rotting leaves, I use PS3s. As soon as it gets wetter/muddier/colder on go the RainSports. The RainSports do feel to have slightly softer sidewalls, but a little more pressure helps, especially as I'm looking to avoid punctures as well.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Its the age old debate . Tyres are quite a personal thing , suiting different driving styles . One person will love one tyre , thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread whereas another will slate that very same tyre . Personally I hated Toyos , I thought they were the worst tyre I've ever had on a car , especially in the wet .

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
I have also had satisfactory use out of Maxxis Victra ZA3 on the Cup; they are not badly priced either

If it helps, I swapped my rainsport 3's half way through for Pilot sport 3's and I have absolutely no regrets.

I couldn't get on with the rainsports due to the fact the car felt like it was going to roly poly around every single corner. These cars are all about the handling and feedback and putting those tyres just completely negate the point of owning our cars. No feedback for me whatsoever, however they were fairly grippy due to being soft. With the PS3's, the feedback is there and they seem to grip so well!
Went with the PS3s in the end bud. Even with the rain we've had I feel confident I can drive the car how I want to. Totally agree with your point!