ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

unable to put power down

172 cup
I've had my 172 cup for 2 weeks now and just cannot get the power down. It feels dangerous to drive and was wondering what's up with it! Anyone else had this problem? I've checked tyre pressures and there's plenty of tread left on them. There is something definately wrong it squirms all over the place, i'm not just flooring it, and does feel out of control. I'm only talking 20-80mph runs here, any more is just not doable acceleration wise. Could this be in any way linked to the suspension and top mounts? :dapprove:

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
check the rear suspension as ive heard they leak quite often and can result in loss of traction on the rear.

/carl

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Check the four shocks, check none of your springs are broken, and check theres nothing obvious broke about the suspension

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
what tyres are on it, if its got shite tyres it wont put the power down regardless of the tred. i had Kumho's on my 1.2 16v and it couldnt get the power down in first gear or 2nd in the wet, Eagle F1's on my 172 and you can get full throttle right the way thru first gear without it braking traction.

both my rear dampers are leaking right now and it goes sideways round roundabouts and just doesnt feel stable on rough roads.

clio 182
Like others have said tyres, I put some cheep ones on last time I changed mine and they are sh*t. Hard to get the power down squirming all over the road in the wet and bad under steer when cornering. Spending a bit more next time I change them.
Plus its just a bad time of year the roads are very rarely fully dry and when they are they still have a load of salt on them.

172 Cup
Camber...

I've had the same problem and I know exactly what you're describing. It's like driving on oily/greasy roads and as soon as you put the power down you can't predict which way the car is going to squirm next.

172 cup
thanks for the replies guys. Yes it has got cheap tyres on, they came with it and i'll definately be upgrading them. Also it's due for a service wednesday so i'll make sure the suspension is fine but i have had someone look at that quickly already

In what way do you mean? Are you talking about getting quickly from a standing start?

Obviously i can spin the wheels up in first and second a bit, but i mean even at half of max acceleration doing 60mph the car feels like it's on ice! Almost feels like the wheels aren't balanced or fixed to the car properly, but driving along at regular speeds or accelerating slowly and i can take my hands off the wheel and it'll stay in a straight line :S

and how do i go about checking camber? Thanks

K20 EG Hatch
If its on standard suspension the camber is not adjustable so "should be fine" unless something is bent somewhere.