ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urbex - RAF Upper Heyford, explore 2. (PIC HEAVY)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
For those that don't know, RAF Upper Heyford was a US air force base during the cold war. It was like a mini America there, they had everything. From a hospital, to a large store, to a bowling alley, to a theater. When the base was fully decommissioned, much of this was just left. It's recently been noticed by English heritage because of how unique it is and will be saved.

Before, I had a look from the outside of the Hospital and General store. Today I fully explored the residential side of the site. A large section of the Heyford site is blocked off from the public and contains the Doom Blocks which used to house the USAF Cadets etc. Also there was the social club (which we couldn't get into) and Chow Hall a.k.a The Lamplighter Inn. This was a large area for the residents to come and eat.

A map of the area that has been sectioned off since 1994
Picture3.png

Firstly, here are some of the dorm blocks, as well as internal pictures. Some of the people who stayed there painted incredible murals!
DSC_0797.jpg

DSC_0814.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0809.jpg

DSC_0803.jpg

DSC_0725.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0722.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0708.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0742.jpg

DSC_0741.jpg

DSC_0740.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0738.jpg

DSC_0737.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0733.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

Then we moved on to chow hall, which has some arson damage....

DSC_0795.jpg

DSC_0786.jpg

DSC_0749.jpg

DSC_0752.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0759.jpg

You get the idea, the lot of the pictures are here. http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/WirelessMonkey_2007/raf upper heyford/

Sorry for it being pic heavy btw :/ oh and for using photobucket.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The Heyford site is very unique, hence why its now protected. Its a great bit of history and very surreal walking down the empty streets of this particular area. It would make a great setting for a post apocalyptic movie!

Back in its hey day, it would be like entering a mini America. The cars, people, items for sale in the shop etc. The volleyball court, and cinema are the two places we didn't go. Both are preserved. Just locked up one day in 1994 and never opened again...

RIP Dan
Great shots mate, really interesting place to go.

Do a little bit of this myself, but obviously on a 9x5 Island there are only so many places to Urbex. Lots of german stuff though. When I get it all uploaded to Flickr I will post some up.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Me and Ross went there Steve! He was pooing himself tbh ;) Scared of the non-existant security. Had to get in a different way as security is getting wise to the normal entrance points.

Ibis A3 BE
Awesome pics and thanks for posting. I've only done anything like this once at a local hotel to me in my home town which I used to work at (The Dormy Hotel) when it got sold and shut down.

M2 Competition
Im not sure id post pictures of myself trespassing in a closed off millitary base dude, and not on a forum that has all your details on. Different laws for millitary bases to normal trespassing, can get you into a lot of hot water!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
It's more effort than its worth for them to prosecute me. Aside from the fact it is no longer MOD property IIRC. There is nothing there worth guarding, its just a bunch of abandoned buildings. There are already many images of this on the web linked to peoples details and nothing serious has come of it.

We caused no criminal damage and where simply exploring the sight for Photographic purposes. A friend of mine who was caught doing exactly what we were on the site was simply told to leave.

MG ZR+ 105
Let me know if your going again :)

my bros gfs cousin who I went to 6th form with said his mate actually used to sleep at some flats or some abandoned building there after partys and stuff haha