ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V. Quick question

I am amp shopping at the moment.

A lot of companies quote the RMS at 14.4V rather than at 12V

Does this mean that in reality they will be producing less than quoted?

Cheers

Ultra Red Megane R26

Nope, when the engine is running the alternator produces around 14.4V which runs the electrics in the car and charges the battery. With the engine off the battery can only give out around 12V. The amp will produce what it is supposed to with the engine on.

Cheers for that :)

Now I have another question. If you run your speakers from an amplifier, am I right in thinking that you are bypassing the built-in amplifier in the head unit? So basically so long as you buy a decent amp, what difference does one head unit make from another if all you are using are the preouts? I have a Sony head unit and have just bought a Nakamichi one and as I am going to buy an external amp, I just wondered if there will be much noticable difference being as both have 4V preouts.

Thanks for the help.

Ultra Red Megane R26

Ive got a sony mp70 at the moment running to an amp. It sounds good but nothing like my mates Alpine!