ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver Competitors!

So, what cars are about level with a Valver in terms of Cost, Insurance and Performance?

Everything I think of is either more expensive, higher insurance or slower.. heh.

All-Round Ability

Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9

Citroen Saxo VTS (early plates now around £3k)

Golf GTi 1.8 16v Mk2

in terms of handling these 2 dont quite make the grade, but outright speed they are there or there abouts

Renault 5 GT Turbo

Fiat Uno Turbo

Gay Clio 172 phs1

Golg GTi 16vs are pretty slow to be honest unless the owner is a decent driver with a fairly good set up. Watch out for 8vs though as they can be a wolf in sheeps clothing.

How about a Pug 106 GTi they are bloody quick around the same insurance etc, Or maybe a Proton Satria 1.9 GTi :D

Civic VTi, Corolla 1.6 16v Vtec the list is endless. Oh and apparently shame to say this but Rs1800 Fiestas are pretty quick :S *a couple of friends have them*

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 29 January 2004

Everything I think of is either more expensive, higher insurance or slower.. heh.
problem with your suggestions Rexy is they all come at a price, the 106 GTi is an expensive Saxo VTS, and we all know how Hondas retain their value

106 GTis are nice.. I like em, but they are much more expensive and insurance is higher too! Like, £100 more sometimes!

Also with a 106, youd have to have Fully Comp really because of the cost, whereas Valver, you could have TPFT..

Nearly all other similar cars to the valver will be at least IG14.

At the time I bought my valver, that wouldve been twice the insurance cost!

Still not having luck finding a good one with ABS Daz?

I spent two months looking for mine (and that hasnt got ABS - which is better! hehe!)

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_16v on 29 January 2004

Nearly all other similar cars to the valver will be at least IG14.

At the time I bought my valver, that wouldve been twice the insurance cost!

Still not having luck finding a good one with ABS Daz?

I spent two months looking for mine (and that hasnt got ABS - which is better! hehe!)

Still looking, might be swayed away from ABS tho now..

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

hahah, so youve now gone OFF abs, you want black or blue?! (BLUE IS SO COMMON) and you dont mind modded... god daz, make up your mind babe ;)

What about punto turbo good fun fairly rare and runs 1.5 bar of overboost as standard. My missus has just got 1 and it aint far off of my 16v

RIP Dan

I would like to wave the flag for the Golf GTI 8v, i have a 1986 MKII with 49k....yes its original mileage!! im in Jersey and we dont(cant) clock up much here, 9x5 miles!! if you can get a good one go for it, when i first got my willy i wasnt sure which was quicker to 60, i know now the willy is but it seemed close when i first drove em. Anyone under 30 who doesnt know the golf cant beleive how fast they are compared to todays fatties! excluding 3.2 etc, put it this way, i have eaten all mk3 and 4s for breakfast and they dont know what has hit em when they see my rear end in front of them, some sh*ttty red/pink faded heap hammering them..its soooo funny. Still cant beat a willy though!!;)

Clio 182

i wouldnt say much is a valver competitor, the closest rival is probably a sax vts, high milers can be had for around 2.5 k now

Ive never seen a VTS for less than 3.5k.. and really, anything below it probably isnt that great.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

lol with simple mods a 5gtt will out handle and out perfom a 16v easily.

i still say go jap, i would be looking at nissan 200sxs s13 is same ins grp as 16v, similar power standard but with a bit of tweaking will blow the sh*t out of a 16v.

also what about a starlet gt.... very nice quick cars, charade turbo ? :S quiete a few cars out there, that are ALOT better than a 16v.