ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very odd/harsh knocking and rattle

Click 182 Cup
Alright all!
My 182 cup has developed a very bad knock/banging type noise from what appears to be directly next the bulkhead.

When turning right...there is this loud banging noise as if something is hitting something else with force. When turning left however the car is silent with no banging to be heard.

This banging happens with hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear as well.

Also if I am stationary and I have the car at biting point and ease off the clutch to start moving there is this blatant banging again. It gets quite bad when turning right.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

PH2 172
Alright all!
My 182 cup has developed a very bad knock/banging type noise from what appears to be directly next the bulkhead.

When turning right...there is this loud banging noise as if something is hitting something else with force. When turning left however the car is silent with no banging to be heard.

This banging happens with hard acceleration in 1st or 2nd gear as well.

Also if I am stationary and I have the car at biting point and ease off the clutch to start moving there is this blatant banging again. It gets quite bad when turning right.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

Welcome to the club.
I`d check the engine mounts first.Rear dog bone mount is a common failiure.
Some details of history and mileage,and your location would be usefull.
If the MOT is short,run it through one,as suspension,top mounts,wheel bearings,ball joints,drive shafts,exhaust mountings & steering will all get the once over.

Click 182 Cup
Cheers Steve,
So the car is on 91k, and in reasonable condition. Looking to fix it up properly.

It's just had an MOT and the only advisory was a leaking exhaust which I will be replacing soon anyway.

The ball joints have just been changed but not the arms. Exhaust mounts are completely shot so changing them very short. Steering seems good with no vibrations coming through the wheel at all.

There is a clunk coming from the driver side wheel area when going over bumps.

The one thing I have noticed is that I can move the engine on its mounts and the driver side engine top mount makes a creaking noise when doing so. The dog bone mount funnily enough looks like it has been replaced not that long ago as the rubber is still well in tact.

This knocking/banging only ever comes about under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd in particular. It happens over bumps too but not as pronounced.

Edit. I am in Edinburgh!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Sounds engine mounts,had 172 years ago,would knock bad and sound awful.Movin off 1st gear it would do it.I would powerflex the dogbone mount and fit new engine mounts.

PH2 172
Cheers Steve,
So the car is on 91k, and in reasonable condition. Looking to fix it up properly.

It's just had an MOT and the only advisory was a leaking exhaust which I will be replacing soon anyway.

The ball joints have just been changed but not the arms. Exhaust mounts are completely shot so changing them very short. Steering seems good with no vibrations coming through the wheel at all.

There is a clunk coming from the driver side wheel area when going over bumps.

The one thing I have noticed is that I can move the engine on its mounts and the driver side engine top mount makes a creaking noise when doing so. The dog bone mount funnily enough looks like it has been replaced not that long ago as the rubber is still well in tact.

This knocking/banging only ever comes about under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd in particular. It happens over bumps too but not as pronounced.

Edit. I am in Edinburgh!

Sorry,Edinburgh`s a bit far for me to come and give you a hand.
You`ve really answered your own question.A set of exhaust mounts (PMS?) ,and Vibratec engine/box mounts,along with a polybushed dog bone should nail your problem.

PH2 172
I thought it was PMS that supply uprated rear mounts,but it`s Prima Racing actually,about £90 the pair.
If you don`t want to go the expense,build up (fill) a standard mount with silicon or tiger glue before fitting.

Click 182 Cup
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ordered up an Evol box mount and will get 2 new oem mounts for the engine and get the yellow powerflex upper engine support to tighten things up.

However. ..this knock/rumble has now got worse to a point where ithe sounds rotational. There is a pronounced clicking noise coming from the front left when turning hard left and the same clicking noise from the front right of the car when turning hard right.......I am very very confused now... shafts maybe?

PH2 172
Thanks for the replies guys.
Ordered up an Evol box mount and will get 2 new oem mounts for the engine and get the yellow powerflex upper engine support to tighten things up.

However. ..this knock/rumble has now got worse to a point where ithe sounds rotational. There is a pronounced clicking noise coming from the front left when turning hard left and the same clicking noise from the front right of the car when turning hard right.......I am very very confused now... shafts maybe?
How long have you had this car,& what do you know of its history?

Click 182 Cup
Had the car for about 1 month now, it's a 3rd car with a view to running on track and on road.

In terms of history it has full service history and there is evidence of it having the passenger side rear qtr sprayed at some point. The front end lines up well and the car has been up on the ramps and there is evidence that the rack ends and the ball joints have been changed but the wishbones themselves along with shafts, inner rack arms and anti roll bar + bushes all look original.

The shafts have got creases in the boots. The shockers don't have any leaks that I can see and the springs look to be seated correctly. The rear has had a replacement spring at some point as the springs are actually different so my guess is one is a cup spring and the other is a FF spring.
It has had new pads and discs all round, dephaser, water pump and belts have just been done along with alternator and auxiliary belt.
There are no vibrations coming through the steering wheel but there is a lot of knocking coming from the front end when going over bumps etc.

This rotational noise is definitely only audible when accelerating hard. If I am only half on the throttle or less this noise is not apparent at all.
The noise also does not seem to be harsh at all when turning left, only right. And it is in sync with a knock when going over bumps.

That's about as much as I can give inotice terms such of info without you being in the car

PH2 172
Had the car for about 1 month now, it's a 3rd car with a view to running on track and on road.

The rear has had a replacement spring at some point as the springs are actually different so my guess is one is a cup spring and the other is a FF spring.
It has had new pads and discs all round, dephaser, water pump and belts have just been done along with alternator and auxiliary belt.

As a cost nothing measure,check that the grub screws that retain the front discs do not sit proud of the discs,and that the wheel bolts are all tight.

Mismatched rear springs are not a good sign that repairs have been done by the book(always replace as a pair).

That the belts have been replace is good,but if you are going to take the car on track,its going to expose any weakness in the suspension/drivetrain department.

I stand by my original recommendation regarding engine mounts,as the OE allow lateral movement when cornering,allowing the driveshafts to bind.

Are you prepared to replace the following front wheel bearings £20 each,Drive shafts,Shaftec £72 each,front shock top mounts £20 each from eBay to the original configuration,dont get involved with the modified Renault kits,polybush the front wishbones £100,rack £45,front anti roll bar £55,rear beam £70,steering rack inner tie rods & gaiters £45 pair.
Replace all 4 springs with cooksport or Eibach £140 and OE cup shocks £ 50 each,or pick up a set of BC coilovers on CS with uprated springs.
If you really want to push the boat out,go for a set roll centre corrector hub kits £650 the pair.
Replace the brake fluid.A set of 15 inch wheels with Federal 595`s would also be a good investment.
Quite a lot to spend I know,but its the difference between a £1k 182 and a £3k one.

Click 182 Cup
All taken on board and thank you all for the help!

Steve the plan is to replace all the bits you have mentioned.
Springs wise was going to put on cooksports with new cup shockers. Seems to be the way to go!