ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Video: Oulton Trackday, 7th August (Kit car, not Clio)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
A good day out as always - a few bits of dubious driving as you always get at Oulton, but no major incidents :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Turbos.
Nice vid, and looks fun! Begs the question why you bother with the MX5?

Do you work for that company then Adam, as all your vids seem to be associated with them?

BTW, there is no need to hug the left hand kerb (1.41 on the vid) before the approach to the hairpin. If you were carrying more speed, it would force you to the inside line of the hairpin. At the moment you are straightening up and taking a sort of inbetween line for the hairpin, which suggests there is not enough load on the car, and therefore you are not carrying enough speed. Any light car like a Westfield should be capable of diving straight for the the inside; only heavy cars like a 911 would go from the top of the banking. Appreciate i am judging after seeing a single lap though, so maybe a bit harsh, but it is worth a second or so ;)

And LOL at the Porsche! A perfect reminder why i've done a single track day in about 2 years. Test days FTW.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
@ Adam: Haha, thanks. Was pretty tricky in the damp bits. Yeah, happens all the time, even more in my MX-5!

@ Englebert: Cheers dude, was a fun day!

Haha - well the reason I love the MX-5 is because it is so slow, therefore you have to work hard in the bends and braking zones. It's also very communicative at the edge of grip, so really rewarding to drive. It's also handy having a roof to pop up, and my fiancee feels confident enough to drive it on the track as well - not so with the Westy!

I don't work for Apex, but bought a multi-pack of track days from them because I was really impressed with how they run, and it works out very good value (£110 per day). In my opinion good service isn't highlighted enough (people are always quick to criticise though), so I like to do it when I have received it.

Thanks a lot for the tip about the line at Shell too! I am very much still getting to grips with the car (as you can see I am braking too early everywhere), but what you have said makes a lot of sense - that banking really holds the car in eh? I've tried various lines there and that one seemed to feel best, however it definitely feels like I could take more speed in, use the banking to load the car up, and carry more speed through the corner... One to try for next time - cheers again.

Good idea about the test days - more expensive I guess, but generally a 'higher' standard of driving? They seem to be on weekdays though and I struggle with time off work during the week... :(

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Good vid mate as usual i need to get a camera sorted out soon. Top day out.

Ta for passenger laps, was grinning like the joker when you went past the 458 into the second chicane:D

Turbos.
No problem, i used to take an even worse line until an Oulton instructor set me straight! And fair play about the MX5...can never have enough cars!

Test days are all over the shop really, but not unusual to see one on a Friday as it will be proceeding a race weekend. I also think it is a good excuse to get a race license, just to tick it off and brag in the pub you're a race driver. The only issue is that they are normally always sessioned.