ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wanted: Android expert

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
So a family member managed to delete all of her photos on her phone. It's a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime and I said I'd take a look.

I figured I'd plug into a Windows box and it'd show up as a mass storage device, which it didn't. It doesn't even show up in disk management.

Anyone got any good tips?

TIA.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Swipe down from the top when it's plugged in and you should get the option of what it's doing while connected.

Might be able to get through that way but I wouldn't know where to start with finding deleted files.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Swipe down from the top when it's plugged in and you should get the option of what it's doing while connected.

Might be able to get through that way but I wouldn't know where to start with finding deleted files.

Thanks - but that seemed to just change the usb device to a camera, rather than anything fruitful.

If I 'root' this phone, would that give me access to the onboard storage devices via usb? Anybody know? I don't want to go voiding warranties needlessly.

Clio Trophy
Hi, rooting will not help, you would need some sort of data recovery tool, which I should imagine will be expensive, get her to learn by her mistakes and start using something like dropbox.

As far as getting your pc to see the phone it may require some software for the pc or done sort of USB drivers, all of which you can find using a search engine

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ah OK. Works like that on mine but I get 4 or 5 options iirc but I'm using a Nexus 6p. Samsung must have limited what can be seen.

Samsung have software called Keiss, or at least they used to. That might get it recognised.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, rooting will not help, you would need some sort of data recovery tool, which I should imagine will be expensive, get her to learn by her mistakes and start using something like dropbox.

As far as getting your pc to see the phone it may require some software for the pc or done sort of USB drivers, all of which you can find using a search engine

I have software that can read deleted disk sectors, so all I need is to be able to do is mount the phones storage to Windows/Linux/Mac as a disk device in order to scan it as a disk. I figured rooting would give access to the root file system, which is kind of what I'm after.

And she's in her late 60's, never had an email address etc. Dropbox is waaaay off. :laughing:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Ah OK. Works like that on mine but I get 4 or 5 options iirc but I'm using a Nexus 6p. Samsung must have limited what can be seen.

Samsung have software called Keiss, or at least they used to. That might get it recognised.
Kies, yeah. It just wants to pull the photos off the phone, not mount it as a drive like days gone by.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks - but that seemed to just change the usb device to a camera, rather than anything fruitful.

If I 'root' this phone, would that give me access to the onboard storage devices via usb? Anybody know? I don't want to go voiding warranties needlessly.
I'm pretty sure you need to go into developer options and make sure 'usb debugging' is enabled for the phone to show up as a usb device where you can access files and stuff. That should help with the lack of options there. Then you might be able to use the program in the link above to try and recover deleted files from the phone.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers all, via those Androidpit links I've got the Dr. Fone application currently doing it's thing. We'll see if it pulls anything useful off the handset.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Slap her about the head while you've got a spare minute as well.
Sounds harsh but if they don't keep upto speed they'll end up a victim of some online scam eventually.

It stops being funny when your life savings have been syphoned off to Africa

It depends, as I know, there are several tools can recover deleted photo files in phone external storage, but for internal data, I'm not so sure.