ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warranty...

Megane 265 Cup
Out of curiousity, what exactly is covered by the standard 3 year warranty on a clio?

I am pretty certain I have noticed that the brakes on my 200 are warped...but am assuming something like brake discs/pads wouldn't be covered under the warranty?

If not, can anyone shed any light on what is covered in general?

Thanks

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
You can sometimes blag brake discs warping tho.

I know, I've done it previously with old cars. Plus work with warranties.

Megane 265 Cup
I never noticed when I test drove the car to be honest, only bought it 4 weeks ago, but they are definitely warped...had a set warp on my s2000 so know it is the same feeling.

The car is in this morning to get the drives window fixed and I got a 1.2 clio mk3 courtesy car and the brakes on it make my brembos feel like crap...which is ridiculous, so I am guessing my discs/pads are wrecked. I will try blagging them to replace them and see what happens.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Get onto 197.net

apparently if there's deposits on the disks or pitting in them. Loads have blagged new disks/pads

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I never noticed when I test drove the car to be honest, only bought it 4 weeks ago, but they are definitely warped...had a set warp on my s2000 so know it is the same feeling.

The car is in this morning to get the drives window fixed and I got a 1.2 clio mk3 courtesy car and the brakes on it make my brembos feel like crap...which is ridiculous, so I am guessing my discs/pads are wrecked. I will try blagging them to replace them and see what happens.

If you bought it secondhand, Renault UK will tell you to do one.

If you bought it used from a Renault main dealer, take it up with them as all of their cars are supposed to go through a multi point check before being collected by the customer and that should have been picked up.

Megane 265 Cup
Thanks, it was bought direct from a Renault Dealer so I will have to have a word with them about it.

Cheers

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Any ideas when the front brakes were last serviced? The Brembos really suffer if not stripped and cleaned at least annually.

Megane 265 Cup
No idea to be honest, the car only has 12k on it, and is just two years old, it has had the 2 years/12k service so unless it was done then I assume it hasn't been done...I had read about re bedding them so I will maybe give that a go and see if it clears them up, if not Renault will be getting it back again :(

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Strip, clean, deglaze the pads, then re-bed them in and they'll be good as new (if Renault won't sort it of course)

Megane 265 Cup
Cheers,

Will say to them and see if they do it for me if not I guess I will give it a go myself.

Megane 265 Cup
Well,picked the car up earlier, drivers window auto up function fixed and handbrake tightened, but by god, after having the lend of that other clio and getting back into mine it just highlights how awful my brakes are!!

On top of the bit of judder at lower speeds, I have to really press down hard on the brakes to get any decent braking power.

It will be going back in soon to have them checked.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Strip, clean, deglaze the pads, then re-bed them in and they'll be good as new (if Renault won't sort it of course)

^^^ This then ^^^

Those Brembos are a pain in the arse if you don't keep on top of them with regular servicing.

Megane 265 Cup
Here is a few pics of the discs just for info...The darker image is the drivers side and on it I can see a darker ring the full way round the outside of the disc about 1cm thick, you can maybe see it in the pic?

The lighter image taken with a flash is the passenger side, do you reckon that is deposits all round the disc? Just curious what you lot think of these images, car is going back in anyway so I will be asking them to be inspected.

2012-12-22151406_zps2616b3c6.jpg

2012-12-22151228_zps99dbb86b.jpg

Megane 265 Cup
Hmmm, not sure actually, must check that out, what do you think about those images? Normal?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I agree and correctly functioning Brembos are amazingly sharpe to and the pedal being spongy is text book seized pad(s)

The pics don't look too bad

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My bet is the inside pad is seized! Mine were exactly the same when I bought it. I had a fair bit of travel and poor braking until I stripped and cleaned them, then they were awesome!!

Megane 265 Cup
Well, as promised, my update. I left the car with Renault again yesterday and the confirmed the front discs are warped and that they would not be covering the cost of replacement as this is a "wear" part. Being told this over the phone did not go down well and I went to collect the car and stopped in with the service manager to have a little chat. I explained that I had owned the car a mere 3 weeks when I noticed this judder under mid to heavy braking and that I would most certainly not be paying £356 to have the front discs and pads replaced. I also asked how on earth it would be possible that I warped a set of brake discs in the space of 3 weeks given that I generally sit in rush hour to and from work each day etc etc my rant went on. He didn't disagree with me on anything I said and I explained that they had sold me something not fit for purpose. He told me that it was not up to him to replace the brakes and that it was infact the used cars manager that refused to cover the cost and that he manages the service team who simply do the work.

So I asked him to go and see this manager again and plead my case for me after everything I had told him, I also offered to go see him myself but this chap kindly offered to do it for me. I politely told him that if he came back to me with bad news and that Renault or the dealership would not cover this that I would be seeking advice from my solicitor.

He advised that he would speak to the manager again and phone me today with an update. So, I got a call earlier and wehey, confirmation that the used car manager has changed his mind and has decided to cough up for a brand new set of front discs and pads....I am pleased with the outcome for sure, but just feel that this should not have happened in the first place and that warped discs should have been picked up by their checks before selling the vehicle to me.

Anyway....RESULT :)

Megane 265 Cup
Oh forgot to add, they have ordered the parts and will call me when they arrive so I can go have them fitted :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
We had a laugh at work about brakes on our last courtesy cars. Citroen C1 brakes, 6 week warranty.

They fell apart on one car after a small amount of miles.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I work in the trade and have done for quite some time, couldn't be doing with the hassle at a main dealer pita

Megane 265 Cup
Shiney new brake discs and pads put on yesterday courtesy of the Renault dealer, feels a million times better without the juddering brakes but the bite and feel of the brakes in general is perfect now. Now to start properly enjoying it once this snow goes away :)