ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird noise when starting car...

172 MKII FF
Hi,

Recently I've noticed a noise when starting the car, it's a kind of whining noise. It only seems to make the noise when i've just started the car and then when the engine settles after warming up the noise seems to go.

I had the cambelt, aux belt and tensioners changed August last year just before it was 5 year old along with it's 48k service.

Any ideas?

RS RIP
got exactly the same... idler bearing ? (something i read on here..)
I'm not worrying because it goes away after a minute or two. Still like to know what it is cause i may be talking stupid...

172 MKII FF
Yes the noise on my car only appears when starting the car after not driving it for a while, it then disappears after the engine warning up.

I can leave it over night and the noise will appear but I can leave it for a few hours and it'll be fine.

t3 corolla 116bhp
i have had similar issues and havent got a solution yet. did you guys manage to find out what it was?

Renault Clio 172
I've got it my my 172 PH2, and my mate gets it on his 182.

Just when you start it up, and pull away? I like it, remind me of a supercharger! Lol.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
I like it, remind me of a supercharger! Lol.

legend, i have this noise, nothing to worry about, engines are wiurd and wonderfull things and if you recorded every noise youd go mental, anyone else have the creaking door insert on passenger side in ther 172?

Renault Clio 172
legend, i have this noise, nothing to worry about, engines are wiurd and wonderfull things and if you recorded every noise youd go mental, anyone else have the creaking door insert on passenger side in ther 172?

I don't think I have that noise yet!! :) Something to look forward to, lol.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
in my opinon, the engine starting from cold, (in winter!), isnt going to instanly run as smooth as it would after its reached operating tempriture, cars use to not start at all in th winter! i dont know if the wuring noise is th same as mine but its very subtle and some users might not even note it. however some people (like my bro) pic up on every noise, posibbly worrying to much but then this is a forum and theres no way of hearing each others cars. however my door insert is a different thing, im suprised people dont hear it as i drive passed! im i the only one living in a life of hell!

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Yes mine started this winter and its a pain, im going to pull it off and lube it up :D

In regards to the engine noise. Its very common, when winter comes especially. I had my belts and tensioners done last year, and still had the sounds when it was cold in the mornings. Its simply cold bearings/belts and once warmed up it sounds fine:)

so reeeelax.

Cliosport 182
In regards to the engine noise. Its very common, when winter comes especially. I had my belts and tensioners done last year, and still had the sounds when it was cold in the mornings. Its simply cold bearings/belts and once warmed up it sounds fine:)

so reeeelax.

I agree. My 182 (05, 10k miles) is exactly the same. The colder it is in the morning the worse is whines. Sub 5 degree mornings seem to bring it on. I thought it just was a case of a cold engine. Most engines sound differently when they are warm vs freezing cold.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
you checked the power steering fluid level? i know this cured the problem on mrwhite86's

I got this yesterday and today, interestingly only thing I had done was unclip, move and then reclip the power steering fluid bottle and connect my amp to the battery.

A few seconds and its gone, nothing to worry about I guess.