ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what desktop???

clio 197
right iv been scouting the web today looking for a new pc.

im edging towards the sony all in one job 24" £1100 in pc world?

i need two 1 for the office and one for home, im using a vpn server so will be wanting to connect to my office computer from home.

i work in web sales i.e ebay/amazon and many of my own sites. i use dream weaver and adobe etc alot! but i have been told, not sure if its true that a mac will not connect through the vpn server if i was to have a pc at work and a mac at home is that right? id love a mac but its just to ott for work and i would only really want it at home leaving me with a sony at work.

is there any other desktops i should look at?

i currently use my laptop + dell screen. but its so much unpluging and sorting out when i leave, (if you saw my set up you would see what i mean, got a silly desk you plug your wires through)

so do i buy a 24" sony all in one for home and a 21" for the office over 2k in total!
or a mac 27" for home and a sony 21" for work? (if that works)

or any other ideas??? just really looking for what people think is the best desktop for me, i am pretty much budgetless within reason.
i dont want something silly/ or that will look dated next week?

Thanks for helping :)

Who told you about the vpn's?

At work we run 49 different sites, both with a mix of macs and pc's. TBH, macs vpn easier than pc's. We rarely get any problems with them.

clio 197
coming from a total novice POV with macs is it easy to apply windows too so i can use softwear such as turbo lister? wich only run via windows

LY 182
Get a 27" Mac and you'll be a hero. And yeah, for your silly Windows only scripts / applications / whatever, VMware or Parallels are both well rated. (You can boot into them on their own and run side by side with OSX).

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
yeah mac is the way forward. vmware is a must though, you will miss some windows programs and you can just run them as if they were native in mac. its ACE!

clio 197
ok ill pick up a mac on my way home i think and have sort it all later :)

thank you people :)
ill make sure i take a pic of my setup once done and add to the other apple page :)

clio 197
ill have a gander, wouldnt mind new mind. makes me feel that lil more special getting one, never though id be able to afford one so would be a nice feeling to buy new :)

ill have a gander, wouldnt mind new mind. makes me feel that lil more special getting one, never though id be able to afford one so would be a nice feeling to buy new :)

The ones from the apple refurb store carry the same warranty/support as a brand new one. :)

clio 197
ok kly im a tit clearly

ill drop in to pc world on my way home and see what i think :) thank you people

cs is helpful for things like this :)

ValverInBits
Wouldn't a decent PC with a nice dual monitor setup be helpful? I'm a big fan of dual monitors for CAD work

clio 197
yer but i guess the mac would be for home so thats sorted i just need to decide on a set up for work. So duel monitor might be a good move, :S

think a 2 macs is ott one at home and one at work so ill go down the route of dell at work, its basically used as a printing station and email thing so it dosnt need to be fancy and a mac at home for design etc + :S

always wanted a mac so to know its going to work is making me smile ALOT.

:)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
i find it nice to work with a pc during the day (know xp and sbs 2003 like the back of my hand) and then to have something different to come home to, i get frustrated when i get home from work, fire up a pc and am met with the same s**t problems i get all day long.

semi transparent grey screen of death is more asthetically pleasing than that of the BSOD.

clio 197
yer iv got the garage sale tbh its got better ratings that turbo but its what your use to i guess ill have both on the mac if i can get the windows side working quickly.

is it worth going for the i3 versions 27" or pay the extra for the i5? tbh the guy i spoke to on the phone didnt seem to know anything? cs is better help

It depends really. For what you're using it for, i3 will probably be fine. But there will be times you're editing, uploading, emails etc and you might wish for that extra pace. But by the time it gets to being slow, you're probably going to want to upgrade anyway.

i3 is certainly a lot better than the Core2Duo ones that were previously the 'bottom' of the range.

Basically..

i3 = Good spec.
i5 = Great spec.
i7 = I'm rich. I want the best spec.

It's a year but you can extend it to 3 years with AppleCare which is £139.00.

Do you know any students? You get a good discount if you can find one.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
as in VMWare fusion 3...winner. you need a copy of windows aswell to use it. but you can get them from some illegal site although neither me nor cliosport condone that.

clio 197
yer fusion 3

and i have a copy at work so thats all gravy just waiting for my dad to get home so i can use the shitty thing as i have no clue wat the codes are to our home network :-(