ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

what exactly is the difference

Ph2 Flamer
As the title says really whats the difference exactly between a set of 182 and a set of 172 inlets? Have searched loads and the best thread I could find was the below but it's not exactly a clear answer.
I've got a 172 ph2 and just want to know if I buy a set of rs stamped inlets from a 182 will they fit. I'm sure I read somewhere the throttle body is different so would it just be a case of taking the throttle body off my existing 172 inlets and sticking it on the 182 inlets.. In the below thread DAnny says a pipe needs blocking off, anyone know which one and how exactly you block it off...
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?591073-182-inlets-to-fit-172&highlight=182+172+inlets

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
The plenum is different (the bit with "RENAULT SPORT" cast into the top) the inlet maifold is the same fitment

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers Fred so the bit the RS on would fit but the plenum will only fit the model it came off.

Lionel Richie
182 plenum only fits 182 engine

inlet manifolds fit either 172/182

you use your ORIGNIAL plenum all you change is the lower inlet

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
182 plenum only fits 182 engine

not quite true actually. You can get a 182 plenum to fit a 172 engine quite easily. A 172 plenum however will not fit a 182 without a lot more work

I've done it 3 times now. Although one did need a small piece cutting off the plenum

Ph2 Flamer
Ahh right well I'm looking at a 182 plenum for my 172. When you say it can be made to fit quite easily could you explain what's involved. I'm not really in a position to be cutting up the plenum or grinding bits off it so if it's anything that drastic I'll just leave it till a 172 plenum comes up.

Lionel Richie
why don't you just use the 172 plenum with the 182 inlet manifold - no f**king about then

i've got about 20 of them spare

Lionel Richie
not quite true actually. You can get a 182 plenum to fit a 172 engine quite easily. A 172 plenum however will not fit a 182 without a lot more work

I've done it 3 times now. Although one did need a small piece cutting off the plenum

182 plenum only fits 182 engine - WITHOUT MODIFICATION

happy?

Golf GTD Mk7
Ahh right well I'm looking at a 182 plenum for my 172. When you say it can be made to fit quite easily could you explain what's involved. I'm not really in a position to be cutting up the plenum or grinding bits off it so if it's anything that drastic I'll just leave it till a 172 plenum comes up.

I'm selling one, pm me ;)

Ph2 Flamer
Perhaps I should have exaplined why at the start but tbh was just expecting a straight yes or no. Someones selling a set of RS stamped inlets on here with the plennum powdercoated for a decent price. I'd been thinking about getting mine matched and painted but given the RS inlets would be an improvement over my non-rs stamped ones I thought it would be a cheaper option/compromise with the plus that they are already powdercoated in the colour I'm after, I'd have a spare set to sell on and not need to have the car out of action while my inlets were being ported. Obviously wasn't sure about the fitment and popped this post on to see what the facts were.

More than happy with your responses Fred, but then Danny says 'You can get a 182 plenum to fit a 172 engine quite easily' all I'm asking really is what exactly is involved. Without that info I can't make an informed decision about whether it would be 'quite easy' for me and whether it's worth the effort.

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm not sure how easy it would be as the ph2 breather plate has a huge hole in it. Presumably welding something over this, putting a small hole in that, and fitting the plenum would work. Only guessing mind :)

Ph2 Flamer
Sod that for a game of soldiers I'm not welding things to make it fit, I'd have to hire a welding kit for starters.

From the post I linked in my op I thought it was just a pipe needed blocking off 'Re: 182 inlets to fit 172 - will fit, needs a pipe blocking off' which sounded fairly simple, rubber gromet or something straight forward like that. But if welding and drilling etc is involved then it's just not worth the grief.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'm not sure how easy it would be as the ph2 breather plate has a huge hole in it. Presumably welding something over this, putting a small hole in that, and fitting the plenum would work. Only guessing mind :)

what on earth are you goin on about? just stop typing ;)

2 out of the 3 I've done bolted straight on, with a pipe blocked off. One needed a small corner cutting out with a hacksaw

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
IMAG0313.jpg

Ph2 Flamer
Awesome cheers Danny, no drama with a bit of hacksaw action. Where's this pipe you block off then or do you block a hole in the plenum that a pipe would go to in a 182?

Cheers