ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to buy ?

Hi all

New to the forum so sorry if this has been asked a thousand times before.

Im currently driving a Toyota celica which I really like but it's x reg and way up on mileage

Im looking to px the celica in and after something smaller (I have a small driveway) faster (my celica is the 140bhp version) and reliable (I'm told the renaults are way better than the pugs)

So... I've decided I want a fast clio, I have 3k so spend and want something low mileage (60k or less) And not older tha. An 03 plate

Ive had a quick scan and I seem to have a choice of a 172, 172 cup or a 182

Which would the experts recommend please ?

Oh and I wanna keep it standard too

Getting a FF 182 with that sort of mileage is achievable but you may have to search around for a while. A mint PH2 172 or a cup should be easily had for under £3k.

Keep an eye on cars for sale on here

Mk2 Ph2 172
Welcome

I wouldn't worry about mileage I would find one in the best condition with plenty of history to back it up with, with recent work carried like timing belt, clutch etc.... As this will save you money in your first few years of ownership :)

Renaultsport Twingo
Buy the nicest looking car you can afford. No one else on the road needs to know iys on its last legs :)

172 cup i' d get if i were you bud.

No car
Id go for a mint 172 cup to be honest. unless you want the leather seats air con and twin exhausts in which case go for a 182.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's much appreciated

A 172 cup it is then, just need to find one at a dealer to I can px the celica in

When looking at them I know to check for rust, panel damage etc but this there anything specific to this model I need to be checking for ?

Thanks guys

330ci, 850R, eunos
Welcome to the CS Scott :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, history & condition is far more important. I looked at a low mileage 172 before I bought my 182 (higher mileage) and it felt nowhere near as nice to drive. In fact recently I took out an '04 Impreza that had only done 55k, FSSH, etc yet it felt terrible compared to higher mileage ones I had looked at.

With 1*2's it's important to check that the cambelt & aux belt have been replaced on schedule, other than that it's the usual checks. Leaking rear schocks are common, bonnet catches have been known to fail (may have been a recall?). Slight rough running from cold is normal with these cars unless they have been remapped.

Good luck :)

Listerine & Poledo
Hi Scott, welcome aboard.

After coming from a Celica, you may find the 172 Cup a little "raw", it'd be worth having a look at the non-cup Clio's, the benefit of a Cup-spec Clio is almost negligible unless you are, genuinely, some race driver.

The non-cup Clio's will come with more creature comforts and tend not to attract such high prices. The all-points coverd option would be a 182 "Full Fat", by which the forum means a 182 with the Cup chassis and spoiler package. In this instance you keep climate control, cruise control, Xenon lamps and the less dour interior but get the suspension and body adenda.

As mentioned, check for when the cambelt is due as it's not a £150 job. Unless there's a reciept for the work being done (every 5 years / 72k miles) then walk away.

Good luck with your search

Thanks for all the responses and the warm welcome

Ive printed off the list of checks and will take it with me to view

Think I'll test drive a cup and a "normal" to see the difference

Will be back soon when I'm in possession of the new motor