ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to replace my 888's with

What to replace my 888's with?

• Dunlop DZ03G

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Yoko A048

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Toyo 888R

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
  Track 172 Cup
I'm currnetly running Triple 8's as my track day (nice weather) tyre but I'm preparing for when they are fininshed off and was wondering peoples opinions my short list is below and was after and pro's/con's of each. I have free tyre fitting so that isnt an issue all i have done is eBay and see whats avialable I normally have a look on Tyre Leader, Camskill, Openo, My Tyres etc to see who's cheapest.

I'm looking at the Medium compound's

Dunlop Direzza (DZ03G) @ £470 a set (new)
Yoko A048 @ £450 but have make offer on eBay (these have 4.5mm left, I'm told new have 4.7) so assume these have been used for qualy of something
Toyo 888R @ £390 a set (new)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
what size tyres are they, as they seem a bit expensive.

Last edited:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R 205/45 R16 83W RPB

333,28£

Thats what I paid at tyreleader

Track 172 Cup
Sorry forgot to add lol 195 50 15. All I have done is a quick eBay for price's not checked my usual places yet. I was spoilt when I bought the current 888's I have now lol they were £60 each

R888R because it's interesting and you'll learn something new 1st hand.

The DZ03 is a known quantity, pretty much the fastest semi slick available available in the size in terms of single lap pace. Do a Google search to make sure R888r aren't horrific, then be a guinea pig, go on ;)

Track 172 Cup
I know what you mean Josh and the price is good on the 888 was just curious about the others my mate is getting the 888R for his Meg to try also but he's on 18's so a fair bit more expensive lol

WRX
With regards to the vote, I really don't think many would have tried all three yet. A048s are the most expensive so you'd expect them to be the best but most club racers only go with the Dunlops as they are the "in" tyre. 888Rs are supposed to be marginally better than 888s. I know some racers have had problems with 888s going off but not sure whether setup could be altered to sort that, as the championship that I'm hoping to race in this year, use them as a control tyre in all weathers. So that contradicts what many trackdayers say about 888s not being thst good in the wet.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I'm due a new set of track rubber, im going to take a punt on the new nankang AR-1. Once i've done a few days i shall fire a review up. Always been an R888 user and i have found them superb in the dry and wet (wet when they are relatively new, once worn a bit there horrible in the wet)

regarding the R888r, i have used them once and grip wise i would say they were slightly better than the old R888. Noise wise there much the same, not had the chance to sue them in the wet though

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm normally a spotter of new tyres, missed the nankangs. They look like a definite none road tyre lol

Track 172 Cup
@JamesBryan Those AR-1 look the dogs lol and for that price I may just order a set to give them a try. Just debating on staying 195 50 or going to the 205 any thoughts from people only £10 a tyre different is the extra 10mm width worth it lol (on a tyre before the tone gets lowered)

@scotiamr2t think I'll take a punt myself on them at that price tbh.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'm normally a spotter of new tyres, missed the nankangs. They look like a definite none road tyre lol

I believe they're E marked, so they can be used on the road. Not that you'd want to in anything other than bone dry weather lol.

@JamesBryan Those AR-1 look the dogs lol and for that price I may just order a set to give them a try. Just debating on staying 195 50 or going to the 205 any thoughts from people only £10 a tyre different is the extra 10mm width worth it lol (on a tyre before the tone gets lowered)

I agree, they look awesome!

Don't forget that track tyre widths are 'usually' wider than their stated size, so a 195 tyre can sometimes actually be 205 in width.

Track 172 Cup
That Nankang AR-1 kinda makes my poll useless now lol. But with those Nankangs at £70 each in 195 50 15 they seem a bargain lop wonder how long they will be that price.

Track 172 Cup
Hopefully they're good lol and at that price if they are I think a spare set could/should/will be ordered before the price jumps up haha just gotta explain to the missus why 8 tyres turn up and there is only 4 on the car... that already has tyres on it and a spare set of wheels with tyres on next to that :/

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully they're good lol and at that price if they are I think a spare set could/should/will be ordered before the price jumps up haha just gotta explain to the missus why 8 tyres turn up and there is only 4 on the car... that already has tyres on it and a spare set of wheels with tyres on next to that :/

I've not seen the tread wear number yet, but I believe they're sticky. So likely to be soft.

I guess you can't have long lasting tyre wear and good grip, it's either one or the other.

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
Out of interest, how low do other people run the tread on their track tyres? I just got rid of a couple of old 888's today which were pretty much slick on the central third of the tyre, but with a very small amount of tread and the outer thirds. I only got rid as I needed to alloys to put another pair of tyres on, otherwise I would probably have tried for one more TD with them.

Track 172 Cup
Make your own slicks lol I've not run a set down yet as I killed off a set of AD08 before I got my 888 and used ps3 for a few days (I only started track days last year) but the AD08 I ran down to almost 1mm but I was new to track and now I would have probably tried them till I felt uncomfortable in the car sliding around or not handling they way it should as I know what it feels like now and should behave like (for me)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest, how low do other people run the tread on their track tyres? I just got rid of a couple of old 888's today which were pretty much slick on the central third of the tyre, but with a very small amount of tread and the outer thirds. I only got rid as I needed to alloys to put another pair of tyres on, otherwise I would probably have tried for one more TD with them.

Can run R888 down to slicks on dry days.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have used a few sets of Dunlops and do find them really good but they are nearly slicks (will finish them off at Bedford tomorrow) and have a set of 888's to put on next to try as I got them at a good price, never used them before so will be good to compare them to the Dunlops.
I may try them Nankang next as I have been told the ns2r's are supposed to be good

I have used a few sets of Dunlops and do find them really good but they are nearly slicks (will finish them off at Bedford tomorrow) and have a set of 888's to put on next to try as I got them at a good price, never used them before so will be good to compare them to the Dunlops.
I may try them Nankang next as I have been told the ns2r's are supposed to be good

Ns2r aren't a patch on 888s IMO, about the same level as rsr s, not bad at all though

Track 172 Cup
I'm strapped for cash at the min lol luckily my 888 have plenty left on them but I've just had to replace passenger caliper, both front wheel bearings, discs and pads (put the DS1.11 on) and I changed my exhaust to the pms one as my powerflow was catching and damaging my trailer so I'm skint now lol and bought a cheap catch tank as the breather was passing some oil from my SM inlet.

Track 172 Cup
Im taking a punt on these AR-1's got all four and delivered for the amazing price of £300. I'm going from Dunlop DZO3G's..will report back after a few weeks.

same as the one's i'm looking at they're £300 delivered from MOT Motorsport or something like that (plus i get free fitting so helps) I have plenty left on my 888 for now but I know i'll wait and then they will go up in price lol might try and convince my dad to buy them lol

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
same as the one's i'm looking at they're £300 delivered from MOT Motorsport or something like that (plus i get free fitting so helps) I have plenty left on my 888 for now but I know i'll wait and then they will go up in price lol might try and convince my dad to buy them lol

Yep that's the company.. Same as link in the earlier posts. Got confirmation email today so should be with me Weds/ Thursday.

Track 172 Cup
Hopefully hear back from you with a good write up... Looking forward to hearing good things abouth them before I purchase BUT might take the risk and just order a set.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Finally got the AR1's.. only had to wait a month for them to come! :down: write up coming soon :up:
25964531450_e00f06f803_n.jpg
IMG_2426 by Andrew Greenwood, on Flickr
26210723566_237cae5374_n.jpg
IMG_2427 by Andrew Greenwood, on Flickr

Last edited: