ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel Bearing...AGAIN!

Partner's Astra SRi
Sorry, I tried to search but I couldn't really find anything like what I wanted to ask.

In April 2008, my rear wheel bearings were replaced.

This afternoon, all of a sudden the familiar humming/whirring noise returned. Pretty sure it's rear left. However, if they were replaced last year, could it really be the wheel bearing?

Help please!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
possibility, could just be a faulty bearing even though it's a year old. what quality of parts was fitted? did you have just the bearing replaced or the discs aswell?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Bent rear beam??

I've never heard of a 1 year old bearing failing. There's something more to it I bet.

Partner's Astra SRi
possibility, could just be a faulty bearing even though it's a year old. what quality of parts was fitted? did you have just the bearing replaced or the discs aswell?

I've just dug the receipt out. Replaced with Renault parts, bearings and discs.

Partner's Astra SRi
Bent rear beam??

I've never heard of a 1 year old bearing failing. There's something more to it I bet.

That's what I'm wondering. I was just driving along (on my way to Asda) and the noise started all of a sudden.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get a proper 4 wheel alignment done before you spend more money on it. No point in trying to fix it if theres something more wrong with it.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
is this the front or rear axle we're talking about? pretty sure the 1.2's don't have rear discs unless it was an option or something.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Rear left she said...

*edit, she also said she had discs fitted!! :S

Partner's Astra SRi
Ooh, just re-checked. Sorry, the discs were at the front!! :eek: But yeah, like I said, it sounds like it's coming from rear left.

Last edited:

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
:) ok then.

well it is a possibility that it could just be a failed bearing, i've seen it happen before so it shouldn't be ruled out.

as said above, stub axle could be knackered. have you caught the kerb at all recently?

is it definatly coming from the rear? could you or someone else check for play in the wheel whilst it's jacked up off the ground? worth doing this before taking it to a garage.

Partner's Astra SRi
Nope, I haven't hit any kerbs :rasp: RUDE ;)

I'm 95% sure it's coming from the rear. My partner was in the passenger seat and he's also pretty sure it's coming from the rear left. Will try and get him to help me jack it up tomorrow on the drive way.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Nope, I haven't hit any kerbs :rasp: RUDE ;)

I'm 95% sure it's coming from the rear. My partner was in the passenger seat and he's also pretty sure it's coming from the rear left. Will try and get him to help me jack it up tomorrow on the drive way.

haha only checking ;)

yeah have a check when it's jacked up tomorrow just to see if there's any play. if there is then that's more then likely your problem.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Sure they didnt replace the bearing and hammer the new one in? Had a bloke do that to mine and it was making a noise a few weeks later, c**k! Didnt pay though had it done under the cars warranty

Partner's Astra SRi
No Renault didn't do it, it was my local garage who are family friends. Bit pissed off with them tbh and I don't think I'll be going back.

Owen, I have no idea but it's been fine for 17 months!

My partner leant his jack and axel stands to his Dad who has leant them to someone else :rolleyes: so I won't be able to have a look today, grr :(

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Just use the renault jack it'll be fine, you dont need to take the wheel off just get it up enough to spin/shake it.

Partner's Astra SRi
I haven't got one :(

Barry's got a Megane Coupe, could he have one? (he's gone to his Dad's, so I can't check...)

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
Sure they didnt replace the bearing and hammer the new one in? Had a bloke do that to mine and it was making a noise a few weeks later, c**k! Didnt pay though had it done under the cars warranty

i would agree this is the most likely cause garages just dont have the time to tremove riust and crud to make the old bearing come out without dmaging the car and vice versa they dont usually bother cleaning up the metal surface where the bearing fits into result is the bearing jams when being fitted the garage solution hit it harder lol which causes premature ejaculation i mean premature failure of the bearing.when i change a wheel bearing its an all day shot for me as i have to remove all crud with dremel emery paper then scotchbrite then freeway penetrating oil if that fails then i weld the inside bore of the bearing which shrinks the bearing and allows it to come out.some garages dont believe this works but it does.

Evo 8 MR
I was told that Renaults are prone to their wheel bearings making noises but it doesn't mean they are knackered, when I replaced one on mine just after the MOT, not sure how true it is though.

Focus RS Mk1
ive replaced my wheel bearings 3 times in 2 years. make sure the correct torque is being applied, 175NM and no more. over tightening them can shatter the bearings.
Other than that not a lot you can do.