ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel bearings

Fiesta Zetec
A mate of mine has exactly the same model as me, a 1.4 rt 1995 and he's said that he has noticed a humming/ droning noise occasionaly when around 40 mph. He said its not all the time though. I told him it could be the bearings what do you think?? If it is what is the best way to find out which ones are failing?

Thanks

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
its likely to be the bearings. To find out you need to spin the wheels by hand. You will know which is faulty then.

Fiesta Zetec
Apart from the droning noise when driving, when we spin the wheels once jacked up what symptoms are we looking for to know 100% its that bearing? is it likly to be front or rear or is it best to check all 4 wheels one by one?

cheers

Monaco 37/468
Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to move it. If there is play in the wheel then the bearing is nackered. Also, turn it by hand and listen for a grating sound, you'll know then...

Fiesta Zetec
Grab the wheel top and bottom and try to move it. If there is play in the wheel then the bearing is nackered. Also, turn it by hand and listen for a grating sound, you'll know then...

cheers bud, is it best to change both sides at the same time or is it normal to just change the fked side??

Monaco 37/468
I just changed the nackered one on mine. Best practice to change both, but if it's the front one I would take it to a garage unless you know what you're doing. It's a right ball ache!

Monaco 37/468
Because you have to unmount all the suspension, driveshaft and steering mechanism. It's not a particularly hard job if everything goes to plan, but it never does. It's just fiddly that's all.

Fiesta Zetec
Because you have to unmount all the suspension, driveshaft and steering mechanism. It's not a particularly hard job if everything goes to plan, but it never does. It's just fiddly that's all.

oh right cool, dont think ill be doing the front myself if it needs doing, I can do the rears as i can press the bearings at work

Monaco 37/468
Yeah the rear ones are easy, never done one though. Felt like torching the car a few times when I was doing the front one :)

ValverInBits

Im sorry, but suspension work is not really fiddly. If you have a breaker bar and a socket set you can't really go far wrong. Clean all the threads up nicely before you start unbolting and it's relatively easy to remove a front hub. The only hard bit is removal and refitting of the bearing itself. TBH it's not something you can do at home, it's an interferance fit (the bearing is bigger than the hole it's in). You need to take your hubs to a garage and have them press a new one in.
The play in the wheel will be very small. When I have had bearings go, I just noted that the noise stopped when i turned quite hard one way (weight off the wheel). Then I eventually (with a mate in the boot) worked out it was definitely the front one. The job was easy.

ValverInBits
Also, be warned, You need a massive socket (32mm iirc) and a LONG breaker bar to get your hub nuts off and it's pretty important to use a big torque wrench doing them back up.
I have put a little section in my 182 manifold conversion guide about refitting ball joints which is a pain if you don't know how.

Fiesta Zetec
Also, be warned, You need a massive socket (32mm iirc) and a LONG breaker bar to get your hub nuts off and it's pretty important to use a big torque wrench doing them back up.
I have put a little section in my 182 manifold conversion guide about refitting ball joints which is a pain if you don't know how.

I work in an engineering factory, I can get hold of any socket whatsoever or torque wrench

Fiesta Zetec
Right jacked up each side one by one, rears seem fine no play or noise, front had a fair bit of play in both sides.

Change front then I reckon.

What would we be looking at as a guide for a garage to do the front both sides if we supplied the parts?

cheers guys

Monaco 37/468
Well the bearing for me was £35 from Unipart. I reckon they would charge about £60 per side to fit them...

Fiesta Zetec
Yeah just had 3 quotes from garages

1. £270 dont think so

2. £140

3. £100

ALL if we supply parts ( Buying from GSF )

Vibed loooowww 1.poo
just to butt in...how much would i be aiming to pay for the front wheel bearing change job?.....ma bad jus realised it was already said