ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WHEEL CAME OFF THE CAR WHILST DRIVING!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As it's on the left hand side, if the bearing seixed it would udue the nut? Unlike on the drivers side.

Black 197
Jeez... Get the discs from Renault mate, Come complete with Bearing pressed and ABS ring fitted, Easier in the long run... FYI £95 + Vat (£107 ish).

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Pic 4, need to either drill the rest of the wheel bolts out, if your unlucky when its removed and the inside thread is nackerd, you could try and re tap it, or new flanj, which iirc about £60ish from renault or motor factors,

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Pic 4, need to either drill the rest of the wheel bolts out, if your unlucky when its removed and the inside thread is nackerd, you could try and re tap it, or new flanj, which iirc about £60ish from renault or motor factors,

LOL!!
They just undo? :S

A

ashy_gtt

the nuts clearly come loose allowing the disc to move on the stub axel. The only thing holding it on would be the caliper (hence the extreme wear to the rear discs and pads & heat / smoking) eventually as its loosened off and the disc probably sheared when it hit the tarmack as it was so badly worn!

Someone at the garage needs shooting!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
the nuts clearly come loose allowing the disc to move on the stub axel. The only thing holding it on would be the caliper (hence the extreme wear to the rear discs and pads & heat / smoking) eventually as its loosened off and the disc probably sheared when it hit the tarmack as it was so badly worn!

Someone at the garage needs shooting!

Finally someone agrees with me :D

Lots of Alfas

That pic is of the inside of the disc, the bolts can be undone from the old disc centre and bolted into the new one.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
look at the pic, the wheels bolts have snapped, how you gona undo something that snapped? trust me, iv had the snappin problem had to strip my hub off the car and take it to the garage, they couldnt re-tap the thread as it would be a few mm to big, so safest bet was to replace the flanj..

Thanks again for your input dude. I appreciate everyones help but those wheel nuts are not snapped. 3 look silver because they are new and the other is a locking wheel nut.

Thanks again matey

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Phone the garage who did it before you sort it mate! Tell them whats happened, If you mention it after its been fixed they'll not do fcuk all for you

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Phone the garage who did it before you sort it mate! Tell them whats happened, If you mention it after its been fixed they'll not do fcuk all for you

again i agree, but im not sure i've got the evidence to support it yet.

And like the RAC fella said, there could have been a number of other things that could have caused it.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
  clio sport ph1 172
you can get a single disc with bearing and abs ring from partco for £55 inc vat i think you only need a rear disc with bearing etc and it will be fine :)

clio mk2
can anyone suggest some decent discs? maybe on ebay? thanks

...you could always do what this guy did! :rofl:

motfail.gif

Artic Blime 182
Bloody hell bud glad you are ok, i would take it back to the garage who repaired it the first time an ask them what they are playing at.. (hope i have understood it correctly)..

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Just an update in this.

The breakdown company who took the car called me to tell me the quote or rather a joke... They wanted £600 to repair it. Naturally I told the to do one, but man to they give u the hard sell!!! Then to make matters worse they even wanted to charge me for looking at it! So I got on the phone to the Rac and they sorted it out. It's now being delivered to my trustworthy garage to repair.

Nowhere stocks abs rings and sensors so reno are gunna overnight the discs rings and bearings.

Should have it done by 2moro at a SANE price.

Oh and if u wanna know the name of the breakdown company it's A1 Recovery northwest :p

Ultra 197
:eek: 600 thats shockin lol. Spose one gd thing to come out ov it was u gave me a good heads up neva to use A1 lol. What garage have ya takin it to dude?

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
:eek: 600 thats shockin lol. Spose one gd thing to come out ov it was u gave me a good heads up neva to use A1 lol. What garage have ya takin it to dude?

Hey matey. Oh I just take it to some old guy in Claughton Village, He's been doin our cars for years. He's not exactly industry standard, but he gets the job done and hes trustworthy.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Ok every another Update.

Decided to replace both discs, bearings and pads.

Bought so far,

2 x Discs, with ABS ring and Bearing pressed in from renault. £114.72
4 x new Rear Pads £20

still one or two things left to buy.

Oh and by the way. A1 told me today that the stub axel needed to be replaced as part of the £600.

My mechanic had a good look at it and laughed, he said there was nothing wrong with it at all.

A1 RECOVERY = JOKE

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
I hope one of those pictures wasn't one of your alloys face down on the concrete! :quiet:

alien green rs133
we have had exactly the same happen on the rally car, did a stage with weird camber/toe out. put the car on jacks, no disk left and pulled wheel off :S when these bearings fail they go propper

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Same almost happened to me last week mate... I recently changed my discs, pads and bearings.... about a week of it being spot on I noticed it was grinding again.... then heard it go and the back end was all over the place!!

Managed to get the car home only to discover the rear wheel had been wobbling and hitting the inner arch, took the wheel off and the bearing was seized and had shattered!!!...

Changed it again last weekend but now im always listening out for it convincing myself its going to happen again!!!!....

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Same almost happened to me last week mate... I recently changed my discs, pads and bearings.... about a week of it being spot on I noticed it was grinding again.... then heard it go and the back end was all over the place!!

Managed to get the car home only to discover the rear wheel had been wobbling and hitting the inner arch, took the wheel off and the bearing was seized and had shattered!!!...

Changed it again last weekend but now im always listening out for it convincing myself its going to happen again!!!!....

unlucky matey. if it happens again, just do what i did. It's not as costly as i thought

Similar happend to me but I stopped before the wheel came off. The stub axel had cracked and the bearing was buggered. Sorted under warranty.

CLIO172, BMW3, 3061.
Update on this for anyone whos interested. (Don't forget A1 wanted £650 + VAT for this)

Got the car back yesterday good as new.

Parts £159.72
Labour £80.00

Total cost £239.72

A1 = JOKE

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wow. you are very lucky. I' changed my bearing and discs last week. The droning was louder then my silly loud exhaust