ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel hum/ Tyre noise?

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
I've got a hum noise that is only present 40mph to 60mph. I was certain it was a wheel bearing but I checked them myself and no play or roughness at all. Even had a garage check them and same opinion as me- no issues with the wheel bearings. There is a tooth missing off an ABS ring but as my Cup doesn't have it, that's irrelevent.

The hum itself doesn't change turning left or right, Can't be distiguished front or rear/left or right from the front seats but sitting in the back, my brother said it sounds like front left but my partner said it sounds front right. It's not drivetrain related as I dropped the car in neutral and the noise continued.
Any ideas anyone? Tyres were suggested. I have "Runway 926 Performance" on the front, a Conti 2 or 3 on the nsr and a brand new Barum (I think) on the osr.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
They sound sh1t, it's the tyres.. rub your hand on them and feel for feathering, but expect they will just be a poor design..

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
oddly enough, mine started doing this last night.

most noticeable at 30 or above and definitely speed related, doesn't change sound and I was convinced it was wheel bearing or gearbox, but it sounds more rearwards.

Turned out the stupid fibre matting over the back box was flapping and rubbing against the rear pass tyre

This might sound obvious but if you find a piece of low noise road and the hum noise goes away when driving on it then it will be 1 or more tyres.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
If you look at a tyre closely it's not symmetrical, some tire blocks are different sizes or there are other slight breaks in pattern...

It's not a mistake, it's there to stop resonation and the tyre producing noise, hums, vibration.

If you rule out wear, bearing, flapping plastic....it'll be a cheap nasty tire..

2005 182 cliosport
i have this noise to!

I thought it was the tyres as they were old, got 4 new uniroyals and its still there.
Had some small play in the front left bearing so it was changed and its still there.
I will have a look underneath to see if it is something rubbing on the wheels.
if anybody has any ideas that would be cracking.

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Still got this. Albeit it seems reduced since I've had some work done- exhaust backbox hanger, heat shields removed mid and backbox, 2 new rear springs as one was snapped and the brace for offside driveshaft tightened up. Rattle is gone, car handles nicely again and exhaust drone is much reduced so am a lot happier except this hum. In the rain it seemed much reduced as well. Could it be cv joint maybe as I noticed earlier I'm missing a clip on n/s outer joint and lost some grease.