ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wheel rubbing

180.5 bhp 172
Hey all,

I have a wierd problem on my 172.

Everything suspention and wheel wise is totally standard but the back wheel rubbs quite badly on the inside of the rear arch (the boot well basically) on the passenger side.

The drivers side is fine and no other wheels rub other than this one.

Has anyone had this or know what might be causing it? It all looks ok to me, but I'm not very mechanically minded!!

Its started doing it recenlt.

Thanks!!
Nick.

Waltz172

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like a problem I've had. couldn't get my head round it
has ure rear disks been changed, coz what had happened to mine was that when they changed the rear disks, they also threw away a brass clip thingy that sits behind the disks, and this can get stuck to the back of the disk.
worth a look mate. it's only about 5mm thick,

180.5 bhp 172
Thanks for your replys guys! I'll have to get it up on the jack after work and have another good look around.

Waltz: its the actule tyre rubbing on the inner side of the arch, basically rubbing the spare wheel well :S they are normal width tyres.

Waltz172

ClioSport Club Member
yea same as mine mate. I couldn't believe that with that ring missing it caused the rubbing
put a new one one and the rubbing stopped.
might be worth jus whipping the disk off and checking

180.5 bhp 172
Ah right, so that clip acts like a washer and pulls the wheel away from the car slightly?! Saying that, I did have rear pads done the other day and its been happening since then!

I'll definatly take a look at that then!!

Its a brass washer that *should* sit behind the disk yeah?

180.5 bhp 172
, turns out it wasn't the wheel rubbing.

Took the disk off and all is fine, so thought it might be the early stages of a wheel bearing. Got that replaced and still I have this noise!!

My last port of call is maybe a warped disk, but the noise doesn't go away under braking so I don't think its that.

Any more ideas?

180.5 bhp 172
Sorted.

Turns out it was my shock that was shot. Took it off, stood it upright on the ground at full lenth, let go slightly, and gravity had enough force to drop it to the bottom!

Chucked a new shock on and its sorted :)

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Nick