ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams #161 Project

R14 CUP
Here is my project for my new toy.

DSCF9598.jpg

She is Williams 0161, currently with 109000miles on the clock.

The Williams is in superb condition, it has very little rust on the arches, it has a tad on the drain holes on the boot lid and a tiny bit on the front panel, but its nothing that is a major issue, yet.

She is completely standard, bar Hill Power Plug Leads & will be staying that way for now, for the very least.

Plans for now are to keep her maintained to a very high standard.

I want to give it a good service, including a ITG air filter and some decent plugs. It probably needs a timing belt change, its done about 10000 miles since it was last done, but that was ten years ago.

It has a Clifford thatcham alarm, which is very sensitive, i want to get it either fixed or replaced. Also want to get the radio sorted, it has door speakers, but would like to get Williams 3 door cards, so i can have proper speaker inserts.

Also want new seals for the drivers door windows, they have started to corrod on both sides and the weather strip too.

I also want some decent tyres on there, ideally PE2's if i can get hold of some in 195/50/15 fitment, i ain't too bothered about keeping the original 185/55/15 size.

Jamie

340i
Should be a minter once you've given it a good going over mate :) will have to pop over and take a look sometime soon!

R14 CUP
Should be a minter once you've given it a good going over mate :) will have to pop over and take a look sometime soon!
Yeah will be a minter once i have waved my magic at her, tbh its not far off at all. Its all superficial things that need sorting out.

R14 CUP
After spending a while today pricing bits and pieces up, i am gob smacked, price of parts are stupidly cheap.

I have ordered a set of front indicator units for £5 + vat each. The trims around the doors are £58.75 a side, which isn't too bad at all, about what i was expecting. A genuine rear lamp is £17.62!

Also had it up on the ramp, and its largely very clean under there, one of the rear brake pipes looks like it probably won't make it through to the next MOT, but apart from that its all ok. There is a slight seep from the sump gasket, but thats part and parcel of ANY renault engine!! Looks like there is a bit of a seep of oil from the bottom of the box, but the fluid level looks all ok.

The Front Discs and Pads could probably do with changing sooner rather than later, gonna see if i can get some Brembo HC discs for it and some DS2500 for it.

Largely though, its very very good underneath:approve:

340i
Awesome :D

may be worth doing to sump gasket along with an oil change also? It only took me 20 mins to swap the sump gasket over on the 172!

R14 CUP
Yeah, i want it perfect mechanically, once its perfect mechanically, then i will look at a decat and new ecu etc..

I'm not sure whether to use genuine parts on this or good quality motor factor parts.. hmm..

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Don't piss around with motor factor s**t on a williams - it'll bite you in the arse later on.. this is where its pricey owning a williams if you need to replace lots of stuff!

R14 CUP
Yeah, thats what im thinking - renault stuff will be up to quality, especially since i can get the stuff at cost plus 10% anyway, so will probably work out as cheap as factor parts.

Daz, whats a good brake combination for these? I am swaying towards Brembo Max Discs & maybe DS2500 or Mintex M1144/55's.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I always went for standard discs and DS2500's, mind you I only changed them once.

New calipers and fluids made a massive difference.

R14 CUP
I have a bottle of ATE blue fluid from the cup when i changed that. Its had calipers serviced within the last couple of years, so i think they are all ok. I will price up some genuine discs for it, where is best for DS2500's?

Chav Rocket
Hey Jamie,

Looks well, i just fully re-did a valver with a F7R engine (rebuilt head) and have gone through the process of replacing all the seals/rubbers etc.. if you need any part numbers etc do let me know. i also got good discount on renault parts and as you say the parts are very cheap.

The sump doesn't use a gasket, just sealant. GSF do one thats pretty good, Dirko or something like that.
also when you do the oil get a champion filter (F136 i THINK) from halfords, the renault supplied ones are known to give low pressure readings.
seep of oil by the box? check the o-ring on the dizzy mount, it might be dripping down and around the box from there
also worth testing the sunroof to make sure it doesnt leak before the rainy weather really kicks off.

Chav Rocket
also i have a brand new (still in packaging) ktec panel filter that you can purchase from me if your interested.

Clio 182 full fat
Yeh nice one jamie, cheers for updating me on this new beaut

absolutely no clue

R14 CUP
Jonni, cheers for the advice about the oil filters. We have plenty of sump sealant at work, fiat stuff and it's really good.

I will check the o ring under the dizzy, it's not a major leak the box actually appeared to be dry, it was just the bottom of the subframe. The rear crank seal has been replaced fairly recently too, so that's out of the equation too.

I have also ordered the rear lamp today from Renault, as gsf can't get hold of the drivers side anymore. Also ordered some plates from craigsplates. I also fitted a spare set of clear side repeaters to it too, although I ain't still 100% convinced they look right.

Tom, if I had spoke to you, you would be in the know, it's all come around rather quickly.

Went ona semi spirited drive tonight, and it is a much more involving drive than the cup was. The turn in is so precise, you can feel so much feedback through the wheel. It makes the mk2 seem rather dull in comparison tbh!

R14 CUP
Jonni, I forgot to add, with it being a Williams 1, it doesn't have a sunroof, thankfully! :)

Are the passenger side window notoriously slow from the drivers switch? I know it's very old technology now, but just wondered!

340i
Mine always seemed slower when controlling the passenger window from the drivers side on my MK1's

R14 CUP
Yeah, i presumed it was right as it goes up and down ok from the passenger switch, it'll probably have to go through a few pre-historic relays etc before the signal gets there, its no fibre optic technology!

R14 CUP
I am very impressed with the way it drives compared to the cup. The handling is very crisp, id say it probably handles a tad better than the cup, and the cup was on H&R coilovers properly set up. You can feel absolutely everything that the front wheels are doing, its a much rawer driving experience compared to the cup.

The way it delivers the power is very nice too, its a very smooth power curve.

Overall, i am so so happy with the car, its better than i expected - i think!

I will be getting plenty of pictures up at the weekend too, i have little to no chance with the nights getting so dark, so early.

Chav Rocket
thats right pass side is slooooow! lol, press both switches for turbo power lol, if its the crank seal oil will be all around the box as its spun out if that makes sense, if its a dribble i doubt it.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
You can't put clear repeaters on a willy, they never look right!

Orange FTW!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Good ones are lots of pennies though.

Infact I've never seen a williams I would be truely happy with - my own included - I can pick a fault with the very best of them :eek:

Black Clio GT
stunning, there seems to be quite a few showing there faces on here again and i think im going to have to think about getting another one next year...

R14 CUP
I am never truly happy with any car, they nearly all have there flaws and quirks. My main aim is to get it looking presentable and getting it running correctly.

I have had a look on autodata today regarding timing belts, it lists it as a 5hr job and advises to change aux belt and pulley at the same time, is that correct?

R14 CUP
Cheers Lee, yeah so far seems a good'un. Fitted new indicator units tonight and whilst they are tons better, they make the headlamps look really dull. Tempted to get headlamps to make it look a bit fresher :)

williams and trophy
I am never truly happy with any car, they nearly all have there flaws and quirks. My main aim is to get it looking presentable and getting it running correctly.

I have had a look on autodata today regarding timing belts, it lists it as a 5hr job and advises to change aux belt and pulley at the same time, is that correct?

cam belts not too bad to do tbh mate. nowhere near a 5 hour job . and yes. always worthwhile putting a new aux belt on . and water pump too for peace of mind. altho the pas bracketry needs to be removed to do that, shite design imho.

looks a very good clean car tbh......am really missing mine..will have to get one of them back on the road very very soon....nearly collected all the parts for 1 of them now, so shouldnt be too long.... i miss the driving pleasure they give me. 2nd to none in that respect imo.

Chav Rocket
glad your having fun with it, belts is a fun job to do especially the first try on that car and working out the best way to get things done!
get new fog lights from renault, they make a massive difference!

R14 CUP
Had all the dents taken out this morning, there was one down near the filler cap, that was a proper pain in the arse to get out. Had 4 in total removed, for £30 so all in all pretty cheap :)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Bargain! whenever I ask about mine its a bloody rip off!